GPD Win (x86 Computer / Palmtop)

Really without any information about in the forums or reading about before somewhere? I mean, maybe have heared about the Pandora before and what it is, such a tiny niche device doesn't strumble just over you, or did it?
Actually yes, I ordered pretty much on hype alone, even before really understanding it had an ARM processor vs x86, I bought a beagleboard a few days after ordering the Pandora to kind of get a feel of what I was getting into. It ran Linux, had a keyboard was really all I needed to know.

@vcoleiro1 Its the _minimum_ limit, which means you have to sell 1k, or pony up licensing fees. This project sold 300, and was only able to avoid it because their distributor had more units than 1k on the books.

So MS doesn't care about small players, has no sense, and can't be trusted. Sounds like a lot of something vaguely familiar.

Well, less than 1000, and you are really small. I guess it depends what your definition of small is.

By the way, what project are you referring to?

Hercules palmTop by hercules computing.
It doesn't change the fact that if you _are_ at sub 1k, the distinction between that and over it, is great. A lot of projects are in this range, and it makes it terribly difficult to manage projections.

Once they get people on win10 they will either charge for service packs, or release a SE in short succession. Im pretty sure as things get incompatible back to older versions, win10 is the brute-force cash-cow MS tries for.

everyone in this forum would love Windows 10 on Pyra.
Yeah, why not? Someday In a few years Windows 10 will be obsoleted too... so it's ok to preserve/emulate it (its a bit like putting monstertruck wheels on your murcielago... yeah, it can be done, and doing could be fun... but why?).
But this Windows 10 would be the Windows 10 Mobile edition for ARM chipset. Which is different than the one for an x86 chipset (which does include the working directX, like GPD-Win wil have). So, it would actually REDUCE the amount of playable games on Pyra.. and thatis not a good thing.
Windows is morphing into X-less Linux anyway... Have you read up on the Windows 2016 Nano Server?

Their PowerShell 5 has build in aliases that are identical to (Unix)shell commands. And this reminds me of a tactic always used by them: EEE. Examples from the past: make a Webpage standard, break it a bit, and see CSS, years later, still recovering from that. Now, the second E is all about re-defining "shell"... There was also this book. It was about redefining words. Once you can not express yourself because the concept does not exist (because certain word means something different), you are unable to divulge your idea(ls -l). This curiously does extend to software standard too.

My scenario could not happen. you say? I thought Symbian would never die.... and with the Chromebook experience getting better.... Microsoft feels the heat, and tries to diaspora their flagship OS everywhere(*) before they get obsoleted. (I make a distinction between the consumer Windows, and the Windows Servers, they are different things to me)

(*) Remember Lumia?

So... if they are DESPERATE enough to port it to the Pyra... Schadenfreude!
So, yeah... everyone in this forum would love that...

Last edited:
I can see why that Hercules thing didn't sell many units , pretty expensive for what it is. There are other products for way cheaper. You can get a Cherry Trail Tablet with delivery for $90, plus there's other device with similar specs tat sells for half, and it has a 5" screen and battery.

Crowdfunding/Pre-order tally to date for the GPD WIN

1) Indiegogo.com International crowdfunding campaign which got 1890 backers (Ended)

2) Makuake.com Japanese crowdfunding campaign which is on 639 backers and climbing (38 days left in the campaign)

3) JD.com Chinese crowdfunding campaign which is on 475 backers and climbing (52 days left in the campaign)

4) Third Party pre-orders via sites like Geekbuying, DinoDirect etc etc - Pre-orders accumulated on these sites to date is unknown

Total: 3004 backers + An unknown amount of pre-orders via online stores

GPD just made a couple more Indiegogo updates. Probably means testers will be getting their WIN units soon.:

"The first batch of working prototype has been completed.We are doing the final test now.Please check the Pic blow:"

gotkw3phkjnibglrdenm.jpg

jcgkkc8n5ilm1i78rrxn.jpg

ylkvu99gzu5wrkfx9y3q.jpg

vem095tjg9n6wh182xgx.jpg

hakc6g8da3ka6tltuy6q.jpg

Last edited:
Luckily they put the power button in the middle of the keyboard
True, sof easy access:

If you press A button a bit too enthousiastic... you might press it.
If your ears fall off, and you press quickly on the volume down.... you might press it.
You are typing in the dark. you make a typo, and search for backspace... you might press it.

Back