GPD WIN 2

maybe AMD can scale down their ryzen, but the lowest i've seen out in the wild would be still be prohibitive for a fanless design. probably.

It would certainly have to throttle in high-spec games, but for small 15-20 minute game sessions it could still work pretty well.

For ARM the current SoC in the Pyra is enough for pretty much anything I can think of doing on it, however. The only games I am interested in that require a beefier system also require x86. In fact I can't think of any native ARM games at all that the Pyra couldn't handle.

Well, I suppose eventual PS2 emulation would be pretty awesome, but that would require both an SoC upgrade and a highly optimized ARM compatible PS2 Emulator.

Last edited:
I wouldn't make rash judgements about whether a future emulator will or won't come about if I were you. The Pandora gave me access to systems I never expected it to when I placed my preorder. Tuning HLE emulation of unknown chips to run on lower power devices might give us access to stuff at slightly lower fidelity than we had ever thought of. And that depends on having lowish power devices out there that are targets for such code is critical to that development.

But I'd be surprised personally if we see PS2 emulation before we see Gamecube emulation, given the state of the art. But I'm not personally convinced we'll get either. I am hopeful though.

I wouldn't make rash judgements about whether a future emulator will or won't come about if I were you. The Pandora gave me access to systems I never expected it to when I placed my preorder. Tuning HLE emulation of unknown chips to run on lower power devices might give us access to stuff at slightly lower fidelity than we had ever thought of. And that depends on having lowish power devices out there that are targets for such code is critical to that development.

But I'd be surprised personally if we see PS2 emulation before we see Gamecube emulation, given the state of the art. But I'm not personally convinced we'll get either. I am hopeful though.
My major gaming stopped with N64, and PS2 kept me going for a while when I had friends over and such. Sucks having to adult. If we got PS2 or GC I could try to pick up where I left off. I mean if I had copies of the games. Because pirating games is bad. I have quite a few PS2 games, and a few GC ones (primarily the Matrix one and Metroid Prime games, and a few popular ones for the family, especially if they include SSB, Zelda, Animal Crossing, or Pikmin). Regardless of whether it comes sooner or later, I think I am happy with where things are going. Now the real question is whether or not I will be able to play Perfect Dark on the go and put the SD card in my Everdrive and copy the save to my memory pak, then to my original cart.

I think I wandered into the wrong thread.

I'm glad PS2 emulation works well on the GPD WIN 2. I have a lot of PS2 games

Last edited:
if I can hook it up to my TV and play League of Legends via Wine, my old desktop PC will be shut down permanently.
I love my gpdwin, and the second version will be more powerful, but both pales compared to my really old i5 2500 battlestation (probably 6 years old...). It's hard to replace desktop with anything portable for gaming... Powerful gaming laptop cost an arm and a legs, and portable CPU/GPU, despite using the same kind of numbers are generally low power variants that have much less oomph than full power hungry desktop variety... Gpdwins are great for gaming, but it is far to meet my requirements for fixed home hardware...

I'm running a Pentium D with an ancient graphics card. A GPD Win would be a significant upgrade.

For ARM the current SoC in the Pyra is enough for pretty much anything I can think of doing on it, however. The only games I am interested in that require a beefier system also require x86. In fact I can't think of any native ARM games at all that the Pyra couldn't handle.

Take the new Snapdragon 845 which is I think 5-10 times faster than the Pyra.
Combine that with a proper ExaGear implementation and you have all you need.
At least that's my opinion.
I would like X86 but for power reasons I prefer ARM.

I like that you don't have to hold on to the bottom to open the lid - that's cool to see. It's only possible because the base has some heft, but it seems to show they've got that heft and then they've gone to the effort and made the hinge slack enough no do that while still supporting the screen okay.

Less ideal that the unit lifts and walked sideways when he hit enter, which might be an issue for desk users.

Take the new Snapdragon 845 which is I think 5-10 times faster than the Pyra.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there were problems with sourcing the Snapdragon in the past.
I do not remember if that was related to a minimum order quantity or if they were the party that wanted control over the hardware design.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there were problems with sourcing the Snapdragon in the past.
I do not remember if that was related to a minimum order quantity or if they were the party that wanted control over the hardware design.
It was Nvidia who wanted control over the design. I think Qualcomm just wouldn't talk to ED at all.

Yes, and that was despite engineers working at QC reaching out and offering to introduce him. Dunno exactly what happened with that, but anything like that is more likely to succeed if he's already got a proved working design where it's the <i>mere matter</i> of designing a new CPU board to plug in to it ;)

The GPD WIN 2 Indiegogo campaign is live below. It reached the funding goal in only 2 minutes

The GPD WIN 2 Indiegogo campaign is live below. It reached the funding goal in only 2 minutes

No surprise with that low funding goal :)
This is more of a preorder than a funding - 100k USD (166 backers) is basically just a random value, it would never be enough to actually fund such a device.
That's something I dislike a bit, as such a preorder has nothing to do anymore with the idea of "crowdfunding"... Crowdfunding for me still is: A couple of guys have a good idea but can't fund it. The crowd that loves the idea supports it. That's the original idea, but sadly, crowdfunding platforms have moved away a bit... these days, it's more a "how big is my market?"-marketing tool for companies. Oh well, that's just my moaning here, I dislike the direction this moved, but you can ignore it as personal ranting :)

Well, anyways, congrats to GPD for that, but I didn't have any doubt that the GPD Win 2 would not make it ;)

IGG is heavily delayed.

It showed 300 backers when I ordered, but my order number was 696 (16 minutes after the page went live)

**edit: Unless there is another campaign running somewhere else like last time and they started the IGG orders at a number > 1.

Back