1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

GPD WIN 2

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by vcoleiro1, Oct 18, 2017.

1. elwing

elwing Rabbit Addict

Mine was working flawlessly the trap wasn't completely flush through... I fear that if I were changing battery frequently the clip would have died already. Not the greatest point of the Pandora, but definitely good enough...

2. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

My battery is pretty rock solid in there, and I only have one piece of paper in my Pandora (on the end of the battery), which I added just to be sure. I don't remember it ever losing connection. I have the foam padding, and so far it seems to be working fine. It might break down in a couple decades, though.

I do wish the Pyra had something other than those clips to hold the cover on. I would rather it take a bit longer to swap than risk losing it entirely.

I think you might have misunderstood me. What I was asking is if we needed someone to go into a store with a device to show them what we are talking about, would you stop by a T-Mobile store in your area when it is convenient for you. If we will get ours a few weeks after you get yours then you are right, it isn't worth the trouble.

I would never ask you to send your Pyra to random strangers, but if you are offering, let me be first on the list.

3. SNESFAN

SNESFAN Retro game fanatic

That's really great, looks just like touchscreen input needs corrected. Everything else working out of the box is pretty incredible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ClockworkCoder and Alpibrine28 like this.
  4. vcoleiro1

vcoleiro1 Hardcore Member

5. vcoleiro1

6. vcoleiro1

Details of the GPD WIN 2 Indiegogo campaign have been posted

The WIN 2 Indiegogo campaign will begin at 10am Jan 15th Beijing time. The campaign will go live at the link below:

www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-2-handheld-game-console-for-aaa-games-laptop

GPD also mentioned that Intel has raised the price on the M3-7Y30 SOC. Because of this, only the first 1000 WIN 2s on Indiegogo will be $599. After that, the price will go up a bit

7. TheOldOne

TheOldOne Fallen Paladin

Definitely won't be getting a Win 2 then.

8. Chip

Chip [Insert Custom Title Here]

As cool as this looks, it's not $600 cool. I'm not allowed to spend that much on toys without a damn good reason, and I doubt the wife will accept "but look how cool!" as a good reason.

9. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

But Pyra is around 700$, isn't it? ;)

10. elwing

elwing Rabbit Addict

And what about iphones?

11. Alpibrine28

Alpibrine28 Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.

Who buys iPhones anyways? /s, I know lots of people do

12. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

Isn't the issue with most modern handheld/mobile devices with the "planned obsolescence". Even if it's not intentional, bringing out new models every 6-12 months means consumers will constantly be paying the initial R&D development costs of the new tech?

Some of these new handhelds look cool, but I'm in the market for something that will remain "current" for more than a few months.

At least any device with a shelf life of more than a few years (Pandora/Pyra) can mitigate those costs down the line.

13. ThinkPad

ThinkPad Very Active Member

The A15 core is from 2012. The last 32 bit BIG ARM Core.

14. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

I think he meant that the Pyra has been built in an upgradable way, and I sure plan to get a new CPU once we got the Pyra out there.

KidPaddle, rygD, CommanderB and 3 others like this.
  15. vcoleiro1

How long do you think a new cpu board will take to come out once the PYRA is launched. I know this all guess work, but would you like to see one come out say a year after or are you hoping for sooner?

16. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Impossible to tell until we found a supplier for one :)
    I've got some good ideas whom to contact, but don't want to do that before the Pyra is released (as I can show it to them as well, which makes getting the SoC easier).

ThinkPad likes this.
  17. vcoleiro1

Hmmm, Sounds like your thinking Qaulcomm. :)

18. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I'd like to get a feel for how much heat this case and cooling solution can shed too, before planning to use a more powerful (but more hungry) chip.

19. trix

trix Very Active Member

As much as I like ARM, I'm honestly hoping for an x86 SoC with the first Pyra upgrade. I think it will sell better in general, give more variety, and work a bit better as a Desktop replacement. Obviously things like heat have to be tested and taken into consideration, since the Pyra has no fan, but if I can hook it up to my TV and play League of Legends via Wine, my old desktop PC will be shut down permanently.

Alpibrine28 likes this.
  20. TheOldOne

TheOldOne Fallen Paladin

Intel has abandoned the low power/low heat x86 CPU line so there will not be a x86 that will fit in the Pyra thermal envelope any time soon.