GPD MicroPC

Oof... I don't know who runs the department that handles PR / Indegogo updates... but when your backers are clamoring for
an update... perhaps sending out an advertisement for your next product as an update... is probably not the best idea.

A batch of GPD MicroPC's about to be shipped to backers

I'm guessing the GPD receptionist wasn't over joyed to be walled in by all those boxes :)

IMG_20190615_111729.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I've also found that set of patches from Hans (just below a patch from our own hns, which I've not noticed going in before now, but presumably have been anyway):
https://lwn.net/Articles/791236/

Backports are usually pretty prompt once the headline kernel gets released (it's currently at rc5), so your common linux versions that run on LTS kernels will probably get this goodness in time too, but they can sometimes be a little laggy in patching the latest versions I've found, so it might take a few weeks before you can expect an simple downloaded installer to run well and the right way up. But I guess the time it takes for most of you to get your units might skip over that slightly more complicated time anyway.

Very nice. I've also found that set of patches from Hans (just below a patch from our own hns, which I've not noticed going in before now, but presumably have been anyway):
https://lwn.net/Articles/791236/

Backports are usually pretty prompt once the headline kernel gets released (it's currently at rc5), so your common linux versions that run on LTS kernels will probably get this goodness in time too, but they can sometimes be a little laggy in patching the latest versions I've found, so it might take a few weeks before you can expect an simple downloaded installer to run well and the right way up. But I guess the time it takes for most of you to get your units might skip over that slightly more complicated time anyway.

When the MicroPC Linux MIPI issue occurred and it seemed Martin Wimpress (From Canonical) got stuck with it, I contacted Hans to see if he could help. Fortunately he said yes and I was also able to convince GPD to send him a unit to work on the issue . I didn't know at that point how good Hans was at Linux development, I knew he worked for RedHat . I was giving it 50/50 in regards to issue being resolved

Turns out Hans has a lot of experience with this stuff and he fixed the issue the same night he got the MicroPC, less than 2 hours to be exact. He then published the patches upstream

Yes, in articles like this one I've not noticed Canonical's name coming up much at all; the main contributors to the kernel that work for tech firms either work for RedHat, SUSE, various CPU manufacturers or Facebook. Getting anyone who's used to debugging and working on kernel issues is likely to be much more productive than anyone from a random Linux firm, especially if that firm's name is longer than six letters and doesn't contain an 'e'.

I just recieved my dad's MicroPC and now he doesn't need it so he's letting me use it. Is there a place to download a Linux version that runs on it? I'd like to use Debian or Devuan, but anything will do. As long as I can use i3.

I am also interested in supported Linux distributions (although mine is still shipping with FedEx :( ) The official site states
At that time, you may download the Ubuntu MATE 18.10 firmware on the GPD official website and crowdfunding update area.
, but I can't find it there ....

According to the last video from the Phawx, if you download a general purpose image from pretty much any linux vendor that'll ship you a text mode distribution that doesn't ship with a desktop environment, that should boot albeit with the text probably at 90 degrees. Then you'll have to build a release candidate kernel for the time being, or just hang fire until that stuff gets backported to the kernel these distributions actually ship (you'll need to do an apt-get update/upgrade until that actually gets hardbaked into the iso though still).

According to the last video from the Phawx, if you download a general purpose image from pretty much any linux vendor that'll ship you a text mode distribution that doesn't ship with a desktop environment, that should boot albeit with the text probably at 90 degrees. Then you'll have to build a release candidate kernel for the time being, or just hang fire until that stuff gets backported to the kernel these distributions actually ship (you'll need to do an apt-get update/upgrade until that actually gets hardbaked into the iso though still).
I wonder how long that'll take. I can build an RC kernel, if I can find instructions for that.

Well, we normally get to 6 or 7 release candidates before the stable release comes out, and we're on rc6 already. I get the feeling we need a couple more though, so maybe it'll get to rc8 before the next one is 5.2, and backports start to come out for the kernels debian and el are using. I'd say give it a month maybe?

I wonder how long that'll take. I can build an RC kernel, if I can find instructions for that.

I would install a base (commandline only) Debian using a netinstall image and booting from USB. You'll probably need to set the device up sideways and use an external keyboard. Then get the current RC Kernel sources and build it with the according Debian tools.

I used to do this regularily until almost 10 years ago. Sadly you forget the details with time, but you can use https://wiki.debian.org/BuildADebianKernelPackage as a starter. Building and installing your own Kernel is not too hard in Debian if you use the official tools. Just give it a try and have fun!

I would install a base (commandline only) Debian using a netinstall image and booting from USB. You'll probably need to set the device up sideways and use an external keyboard. Then get the current RC Kernel sources and build it with the according Debian tools.
Yes, more commonly known as the GNU toolchain, available on almost every linux distrubution, but different distributions will have different package names you need to install to get everything needed for a kernel build setup. Thankfully, building a kernel is one of the simpler big linux packages you can build these days, with extremely limited dependencies.

Yes, more commonly known as the GNU toolchain, ... .

Well yes, but NO. I specifically mean the Debian tools for building not only a Kernel but complete Debian packages that can be installed via apt. "make-kpkg" and the like.

Of course the Debian tools also include the GNU Toolchain for configuration and building. But building the Kernel in the distributions "official" way makes installation/updates/uninstallaion much easier than just using the vanilla Kernel tools.

Ubuntu Mate will be packaged including Hans's patches and made available when Martin Wimpress(Canonical) gets a chance to do it. That bit is being organised by GPD and Martin. Han's already emailed him a while back the patches etc.

If you want to apply the patches yourself and load and run Ubuntu, it can be done. Phawx has done it and I'm sure others as well.

In regards to that, I'd recommend getting on the gpd_devices discord and checking out the gpd_micropc section. You can ask Phawx there about it and you can check the pins there , one of which is from Hans who detailed the patches he made and where they are etc. There are also a number of other people I noticed loading Linux on it

Here's an invite to the server: https://discord.gg/dWHNgNy

Back