GPD MicroPC

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by vcoleiro1, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Mr_Loon

Mr_Loon Can't Remember

Seems a little odd to me, has there been any word on why they didn't go for 2X4GB in dual channel rather than I presume 3X2GB?

Has a 3GB / 6GB ram Module become a thing?

2. ckblackm

ckblackm Member

Apparently it has... they seem resistant to go to 8gb simply for monetary reasons.

3. MJPIA

MJPIA Member

The MicroPC only has one ram chip, its not dual channel so 2x4 isn't an option.
    I asked the CEO of GPD several days ago about this and his response was that 8GB chips are no longer made and hard to source in the package they are using.
    These 6GB chips are the same ones that would have been used for the Galaxy Note 7 phone before it crashed and burned and the device got recalled globally.
    The 6GB chips aren't made anymore either but there is a ton of them floating around in China and more than enough for however many they end up manufacturing.

4. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

I hope they know what they're doing with swapping RAM chips like that. We've seen firsthand how bad things can go wrong. :p

5. ckblackm

ckblackm Member

That would be good information for them to have put in an update.

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that's what's puzzling me as well.
    Linux has MIPI video stream support, though you need to write the display driver for it - which only works if you've got the documentation of the screen (the initialization sequence is different with different screens).
    Also, if they have a screen that only supports command mode (no idea if that exists or if they all support videos stream as well), then you're out of luck, as command mode is not yet supported.

7. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

Well they're probably using command mode then. Why is there no support for it? No documentation?

8. ckblackm

ckblackm Member

I tried to get the fellow who is working on it (Martin Wimpress‏ @m_wimpress) to strike up a conversation with ED about it on twitter... but it didn't go very far.
    I hope I wasn't stepping on any toes... I was just trying to help.
    cb

levi likes this.
  9. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Well, the whole MIPI stuff is pretty confidential, you don't even get the standard documentation without paying a lot of money.
    The video stream mode is (AFAIU) basically the same mode old displays used - probably to keep compatibility. So you need to enable the display and switch it to video stream mode. However, the commands for these are a mixture of standard MIPI commands (which are in that mythical documentation) and of the display driver chip.

I think someone even works on command mode for Linux...but I don't know the status.

Command mode would be cool - it's what smartphones use. It only sends a stream when needed - for example, while playing games or when something is happening on the screen.
    When you're reading something, it doesn't stream and the display just shows the last frame it received - which saves quite a bit of power when nothing is happening on the screen.

Video stream constantly sends a 60fps, regardless of what is happening on the screen.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM, Original Post Date: Mar 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM ---
    Well, not on mine ;)

ckblackm and levi like this.
  10. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

Would it be possible for the Pyra to use command mode if a driver is developed? Or would it need hardware changes?

11. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

They can talk to the screen, so I guess they've got all of the hardware they need. It might be a cool battery boost if they can enable it fully though, although I'd have thought the backlight alone would amount for more of the battery budget than the simple streaming of video, or the wifi chipset, or USB power or something; there's plenty of power consuming parts in a Pyra even at rest. Every little helps though, as they say.

12. Mr_Loon

Mr_Loon Can't Remember

Ah, that makes perfect sense, sounds like a good choice.

Thanks for the info :)

13. bluedeer

bluedeer Member

6GB is better than 4Gb any day anyway. 8GB would have been better, but for a low power device such as this I suspect you'd probably run into CPU bottlenecks long before you ran into ram storage bottlenecks for most tasks anyway. 4GB just seems a bit anemic for Windows 10 and most applications anyway. I used to get by just fine on 6Gb on my i5 desktop PC before some of the newer patches, and then bumped up to 8 which made a huge difference as it was. Granted I now have 16GB because I run a bunch of stuff all at once, but when I go back to a unit with 4Gb I notice a major difference, especially if things are disk swapping a lot. Which usually isn't much of a problem on a sufficiently fast drive of course. But hey, if there's a ton of those 6GB chips floating around for a marginal increase in price, and we'd be getting 6Gb instead of 4, who am I to complain? I still want a GPD Win 2, but I've been taking a hard look at the MicroPC and that makes my decision a lot harder especially considering cost.