Gpaint32

don

AWSMOE!
Website
gp32.chemicalkungfu.de
Just released a beta of my latest project. It's a small painting tool for use with the standard GP32 palette.
I've done this for creating images for my own projects, so it only features what I thought it would need.
But if I get decent feedback I might add some other features.
You can grab it here.
Be sure to check out the readme.txt on missing and available features as well as description of the controls.

I like it just need most of the stuff you mentioned in the readme and maybe a a paint bucket

I saved my pic but I can't load it... and what can I use to view it on my comp because I can't opend IMG1.img and you need to get the gray in its fun to paint on the gp32

As I wrote on my page, those images are saved in a proprietary format pixel for pixel = byte for byte.
I don't think there is a way to open them on your computer. ;)
It's made for people who actually are using these images for their projects, and I hope they know how to
load those images.

Really nice indeed :D you should try to port this over to the PC so :D

Btw : are you still working on the GP32linux? I'm looking forward to it

synkro posted on Feb 21 2004 at 12:51 PM said:
??? I don't get? where is the sense in this kond of tool?!?

I posted some very good and free tools here:

Pixel Editors
Why I've done this tool? I don't use windows and I liked the idea of drawing with the GP32.
It's a tool to help me develope my own projects (which it does fairly well, i hope) and if it's of any use for
anyone, I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
don posted on Feb 21 2004 at 03:20 PM said:
synkro posted on Feb 21 2004 at 12:51 PM said:
??? I don't get? where is the sense in this kond of tool?!?

I posted some very good and free tools here:

Pixel Editors
Why I've done this tool? I don't use windows and I liked the idea of drawing with the GP32.
It's a tool to help me develope my own projects (which it does fairly well, i hope) and if it's of any use for
anyone, I'm happy.
sorry, no offense intended! there are some nice tools for linux to pixel around, like GIMP and stuff...

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, no offense intended! there are some nice tools for linux to pixel around, like GIMP and stuff...

Gimp sucks at pixeling small images with a predefined 256 color palette, it's more of an image manipulating
tool than a real painting tool IMHO.

You can open the IMG files with PSP. Heres how:

1) In the 'Files of type' dropdown list select 'Raw file format'.
2) Open the IMG file
3) A dialog box should appear asking you how it should format the image, put in this info:
Width: 32
Height:32
Color channels: Single channel (greyscale)
Header size: 0
Interleaved
Order RGB

When it opens up it will be in greyscale, and probably look funky. Just go to 'Colors->Load pallete...' choose the GP32 .pal file and select 'Maintain indexes' (if you haven't made a .pal file from the GP32 pallete yet open up a 256 color bitmap that uses it and go to 'Colors->Save pallete...' then save it).

Some suggestions:
The L and R buttons should be used to grab a color from the image
The pallete should open up with the cursor in the middle/where the last color was selected

Nice work Don :)

For me all it needs is the ability to clear to a colour, rotate (if you use the img with b2fxec it's rotated anti-clockwise), and it would be nice if the palette could show the index so I could find the transparency colour (239) easily.

Edit:
Just found this plugin you can use to open the images in the gimp -
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/linux/timecop/loader.html

Select RAW as your file type, and enter 32 for the width and height and Indexed as the image type. Then apply your gp32 palette.

Thanks a lot for your efforts and ideas. I spent the noon implementing those features, and I think those were
really good ideas which fit well into GPaint32. Mostly I'm happy about those tips how to import GPaint32
raw images into other graphics packages, I've added them into readme.txt and uploaded palette files for
PSP and GIMP to my homepage.

Oh, i almost forgot: loading saved images finally works, i made a real stupid mistake on that...
So my changelog says:

1.1 - Some Bug fixes, mainly loading images works now correctly.
Added quite a few features, took away some:

+ added 90° rotating w/ left shoulder button (thx woogal)
+ added possibility to clear to bg-colour in menu (thx woogal)
+ added index number in palette menu (thx woogal)
+ added colour grabbing with right shoulder button (thx delsabre)
+ changed cursor position in palette menu to current color (thx delsabre)
- export to .h function died for now (might do a perl/python converter
for this possibly as it's not such a pain in the ass to do string
manipulations there)
- switching colours using shoulder buttons has gone.

Oh, and i created a fancy icon for GPaint32 with GPaint32 :D (okay okay, i just copied it pixel for pixel
from another icon :lol: )

Back