Gp2x Writeup On Digg - Take Two

wow like 900 diggs, wasnt expecting that.

@icurafu: it is possible to browse the web and send emails via qtopia and all that stuff, ???

What's with the idiot who says it was designed primarily for video? He then states "which it doesn't actually do". Umm...mine does...

air-can posted on Aug 2 2006 at 05:12 PM said:
What's with the idiot who says it was designed primarily for video? He then states "which it doesn't actually do". Umm...mine does...
The gp2x *was* designed to be mainly a video and audio machine. There were no built-in games on the gp2x. But after the community grew, and adopted it, it became what the community-driven gp32 became.

Video playback, compare to a "real" computer, is still very poor. But it does everything I want it to do :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Aug 2 2006 at 06:11 PM said:
oneandoneis2 posted on Aug 2 2006 at 02:26 PM said:
The GP32 screen is washed out dim and has very poor contrast and color saturation.

Umm.. can't agree with that at all. Maybe you have one of the FLU units or something. My BLU+'s screen is about the best TFT I've ever come across.

Maybe you have a magic one. The GP32BLU is actually the WORST screen I have ever seen. I have a couple and have seen many and while a bit better than a FLU they are terrible. I used to think they were ok after having a FLU and NLU. However the "blacks" are actually medium grey, the colors are very faded and washed out, and the display is extremely dim. It has to be the dimmest backlit display I have ever seen.

Now there have been a few batches of the GP2X that have a poor screen. The first ones have a wrong resistor value making the display washed out and actually blurry (you can have that fixed). Then there are batches where they are a bit TOO bright. If you have one of those then yeah I can see why you would think the GP32 is better. I guess the opinion on GP2X screen quality is so varied because the screens on the GP2X are actually different depending on the one you have. Still, all but the very first GP2X screens are still better than a GP32.
I remember as soon as they were released how amazing you said they were lol

sam fisher posted on Aug 3 2006 at 12:30 AM said:
I remember as soon as they were released how amazing you said they were lol

Yeah, compared to the NLU/FLU ;)

There was also a time when I said how amazing the graphics on a ColecoVision were too, compared to a 2600.

Back