Gp2x Thunder Power Pack (new 3600mah Battery)

moz posted on Mar 1 2007 at 08:45 AM said:
this looks like something Bacteria would make!

:) I rarely visit the forums these days, too busy with e-bay! I have an idea for a great new project, time permitting! Got myself a PSone screen and the BenHack book (I need to know how to connect the screen to svideo or composite input; hence bought the book s/hand, so I can e-bay it again later); anyway, future dreaming at the moment, when not e-baying I need to start playing PC games again!

Anyway, back on the subject, you could remake the back panel and incorporate 2x C or 2x D cells, these would give over 9500NiMH and rechargable and probably not much thicker than the design proposed here (anyone remember a previous project I was working on before my old GP2x fried)?

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the ideal mod would be a rechargeable battery pack, probably some sort of solid battery like thos found in phones, which clipped into the back of the GP2X in place of the battery cover, making contact with the existing terminals. Ideally it wouldn't be too much larger and it could be charged with a mains adapter seperately, like most digital camera ones or something...

®

OMG! Finally you're a genius, where to buy it when? :D

mdinire posted on Mar 1 2007 at 11:01 AM said:
hopefully the final model spreads the weight more evenly
I would like to see the batteries vertical as handgrips.

Dimacus posted on Mar 1 2007 at 01:04 PM said:
Even if it's nice to see commercial 'mods' for the 2x, this is a tad too big for me.
Maybe they could reduce the size using Li-Polymer/Li-Ion, but that would probably be quiet expensive.
I don't think it needs to be much smaller, just needs to be integrated into handgrips and using only 2 cells:

These 4300/4500mAh cells for example:
http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/20317/tag...ndustrial-cell/

Or these 8,000 mAh ones:
http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/21474/f-s...ah-tagged-cell/

Perhaps even these 13,000mAh ones (at this point just call them 13Ah already!):
http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/21473/yua...l-cell-1fm13-0/

If you are going to tack something onto the GP2X, and make it that bulky anyway, it might as well run the darn thing for a long time.

nubie posted on Mar 1 2007 at 11:40 PM said:

That would be ideal, I find my hands straining a bit after long periods of play. I can't imagine what it would be like with a battery pack that is 3x/4x the mass of the one now.

mdinire posted on Mar 1 2007 at 06:42 PM said:
nubie posted on Mar 1 2007 at 11:40 PM said:

That would be ideal, I find my hands straining a bit after long periods of play. I can't imagine what it would be like with a battery pack that is 3x/4x the mass of the one now.

+1... I don't think I have big hands, even in comparison to average Korean hands, but I get cramps in my hands holding the thing for a while.

If only there were an attachment to hook a PS2 controller to the sides. Heh, hide 2x 13,000mAh D-cells in the handles FTW. :)

nubie posted on Mar 2 2007 at 12:40 AM said:
I don't think it needs to be much smaller, just needs to be integrated into handgrips and using only 2 cells:

These 4300/4500mAh cells for example:
http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/20317/tag...ndustrial-cell/

Or these 8,000 mAh ones:
http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/21474/f-s...ah-tagged-cell/

Perhaps even these 13,000mAh ones (at this point just call them 13Ah already!):
http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/21473/yua...l-cell-1fm13-0/

If you are going to tack something onto the GP2X, and make it that bulky anyway, it might as well run the darn thing for a long time.

If you are building your own battery pack it should really not be done with 2x 1,2V batteries, but something that gives you 3,6-3,7V in the end since the GP2X is actually most energy effective at that voltage (according to Squidge).

Rivroner posted on Mar 1 2007 at 02:37 AM said:
No, this forum does not have youtube labels :D

Actually, it does, but the code is
Code:
[tube][/tube]
, and i don't think they work properly.

Let's see...

EDIT: Ah, no it doesn't, but if you rightclick where it should be, you'll see that it's kinda there.

Hmmm ok now those 3600mAh @3,6V got me thinking... is the GP2X really that more effective at 3,6V than at 2,4V with 2*AAs?
Because it is, why not fit in 3*AAAs @1200mAh (that's the strongest AAA accus I could find) in the battery compartment (it should fit without modifying the case). That would give you 3600mAh@3,6V too, right? Or am I just really stupid?

Edit: OK I AM OFFICIALLY STUPID :( it would be 1200mAh@3,6V :blink:

Shirohagen posted on Mar 1 2007 at 01:21 PM said:
For me the ideal mod would be a rechargeable battery pack, probably some sort of solid battery like thos found in phones, which clipped into the back of the GP2X in place of the battery cover, making contact with the existing terminals. Ideally it wouldn't be too much larger and it could be charged with a mains adapter seperately, like most digital camera ones or something...
Yeh! one of these would be pretty cool..

sv100577dc6.th.jpg

sv100578xo3.th.jpg

sv100570ls8.th.jpg

Shame this one doesn't work :(

So, 3.6 volts is the most efficient voltage? Time to start building me a battery pack with 3 batteries.

So... now that I got my "science" right... 6*AAA (3 in row each) would give you 2400mAh@3,6V, and they *should* fit into the battery compartment without modifying it too much (could probably be done in a way that AAs still fit also)... quickly calculating... 3600mAh@3,6V=11h playtime, then 2400mAh@3,6=7h,30min!!!
That's quite a bit better than the ~4h the 2*AA give ;)
Maybe someone (I guess not me :ph34r: ) should give it a try and build a nice adaptor ;)

edit: if the bottom, and a little bit of the side facing the SD slot of the inside plastic of the battery compartment would be cut, than 6*AAA stacked diagonally (bee hive like) would very likely fit with a closed lit.
It would probably look a bit messy inside, but the outer appearance of the GP2X would be unchanged! And AAs would still work too.
Damn I need a 3D printer for rapid prototyping B)

Now if there was a changer that charges 6 AAA at the same time ;) Actually that reminds me of the Lynx I had... that beast needed 6 AAs and you couldn't really play very long either ;)

mAh doesn't change no matter how many of the same batteries you place in, only the voltage.

4 1000mAh batteries at 1.2 volts is just 4.8 volts 1000mAh.

PSyMastR posted on Mar 2 2007 at 03:11 AM said:
mAh doesn't change no matter how many of the same batteries you place in, only the voltage.

Not entirely true I think. If you put them "in row" than thats the result you get, but connecting 2 1,2V, 1000mAh batteries "parallel" would give you 2000mAh@1,2V.

Julius posted on Mar 1 2007 at 09:17 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on Mar 2 2007 at 03:11 AM said:

Not entirely true I think. If you put them "in row" than thats the result you get, but connecting 2 1,2V, 1000mAh batteries "parallel" would give you 2000mAh@1,2V.

Yep if you play them in series (think stacking them on top of each other), you will increase the voltage.
If you place them parallel (run a wire across all the + and another on all the -) then you will increase the mAh.

I would probably come running back to the scene if it were not for the battery life on this beast. If someone finds out how to fit a 3.6v 2400mAh battery under the cover for super cheap, make sure to tell me. Oh and I want the whole hump off the back gone while you are at it, might as well go the extra mile ;)

Just a thought.. It´s big so why did they not make it so that when put on a table it would also act as a stand? That would be perfect for trips on trains, aeroplanes etc.

Any way, I dont think I could have done it any better, so I should not complain... :p

Back