Power Your Gp2x From Your Pc's Usb Port.

This is to use a PCs USB port to power the GP2x using the DC side port, not the GP2x's USB port.

Nicely done by the looks of those pictures as well. Should be able to tap off the power and also use the Data for connecting to the 2x.

techFreak, you might want to mention that you can actually get a 3.3v regulator, in the same style as the variable one that's been used in that article, although getting my hands on them is a little difficult.
Using a 3v regulator works as well.

I will be amazed if this works, I had the very same idea the other day and looking into specs of the USB it doesn't have the power output required. My idea was to make a little cable with an in-line resistor that brought the voltage down from 5v to 3.5v. But the GP2X requires something like 1.2Amps to run properly without crashing. I looked up the specs of USB 2.0 and it can supply a maximum of 500mA which is half what the GP2X requires.

Sorry guys, but I think this is a no no.

For tech info on USB see the wiki here, look under the Power Supply section for the required info.

Edit: It might be possible to power the GP2X using two of the USB ports, effectively doubling the power output bringing it up to 1 Amp. This might just work.

The Gp2x uses 400-500mA, more with tv-out I think. But I could be wrong, but its definitaly not 1.2amps

Some PC's restrict the USB output to 500mA, whilst some just connect it directly to the 5V rail, so can give a couple of amps quite easily (Cost cutting exercises and all that jazz).

Connected to the USB port you can get out 500 mA legaly, but if you are connected on the 5V Rail of the computer like squige said, you can pull out like 20A for a 300 W Power supply !

So No trouble in powering the gp2x, as this use the 3.3v Rail in the comp and you will even not need a regulator !

paxl

cowai posted on Oct 16 2006 at 12:51 PM said:
The Gp2x uses 400-500mA, more with tv-out I think. But I could be wrong, but its definitaly not 1.2amps
That's the official specs, but when you really start to use it you will find that 500mA isn't enough, especially when overclocking.

I bought a nice chunky 500mA regulated PSU, and when I overclock my GP2X it crashes. But if I use my 2700 Ni-Mh Batteries it's fine. Ho Hum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot about the 500mA supply limit on the USB, you could try a double ended out. Connect it to two USB connectors/ports, then link the power lines in parrallel. Although I've noticed some motherboards don't always like you doing that :)

BenScar posted on Oct 16 2006 at 03:07 PM said:
Forgot about the 500mA supply limit on the USB, you could try a double ended out. Connect it to two USB connectors/ports, then link the power lines in parrallel. Although I've noticed some motherboards don't always like you doing that :)
hehe :p

please bear with me, but what does powering the gp2x via usb from a pc have to do with using lithium-ion batteries?

Redeeman posted on Oct 16 2006 at 03:11 PM said:
please bear with me, but what does powering the gp2x via usb from a pc have to do with using lithium-ion batteries?
yeah, I was wondering that too...

BenScar posted on Oct 16 2006 at 06:15 AM said:
you can actually get a 3.3v regulator
The original article uses a adjustable-voltage linear regulator. That sets off my BS detectors -- he should use a 3.3V switcher. Using a linear regulator just wastes power, and USB doesn't provide enough current as it is.

And what does any of this have to do with lithium-ion batteries?

I'm not hopeful that the original author knows what he's doing.

Redeeman posted on Oct 16 2006 at 02:11 PM said:
If you are referring to my earlier comment, I was just showing you the difference between a 500mA PSU which didn't have enough Juice, and running it on good batteries. The reason I mentioned the batteries was to stop people in their tracks who would have potentially said "Well maybe your GP2X couldn't overclock at the speeds I was running it at". I was pointing out that my GP2X doesn't crash when using the batteries that they can obviously supply the correct current, whereas, the 500mA PSU couldn't. I am guessing if you read the post properly and not between the lines it would have been obvious :D

i was referring to the very opening post, saying:
"ati of www.gp2xtr.com made an accessory to power GP2X from PC's USB port. According to ati this will enable to use li-ion batteries in GP2X"

Redeeman posted on Oct 16 2006 at 04:20 PM said:
"ati of www.gp2xtr.com made an accessory to power GP2X from PC's USB port. According to ati this will enable to use li-ion batteries in GP2X"
Ah, slap my ass and call me Shirley, sowy :D

hey, I'm powering my gp2x by USB for a long time...
and I've gotta tell ya, just 1 USB power source is enough for me
when I connect the linear regulator I've made, the USB power drops from 5 to 4.2vdc (so it's not directly connected to +5v)

but I've used 1N5333 zener diodes as a voltage regulator (actually 1N5334 to deliver 3.6V and lower current consumption, but 1N5333 will do)

I'll try to post some pictures in near future

I dare to say that one can connect USB->GP2X using only a diode (rectifier, not zener) to drop the tension in about 0.8V, in my case would deliver 3.4V using only usb and a rectifier diode like 1N4001, but would be wise to try it first with a 5W/3.3ohm resistor to see if the USB +5v is not directly connected to PSU's +5v
in that case the power supply would deliver 4.2V which shall not fry your gp2x, but it would be wise to avoid playing in a 4.2V powered gp2x

I can see how this could be cool for some applications but as for playing games and the like I think I'd still use batteries instead. It's simply not comfortable enough to use the GP2x with the adapter plugged into the side. Last time I tried it my fingers got very sore indeed from having to grip around the plug while trying to hold the machine at the same time.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 16 2006 at 04:24 PM said:
Redeeman posted on Oct 16 2006 at 04:20 PM said:
Ah, slap my ass and call me Shirley, sowy :D
I didn't wanna know that.

Back