Power Your Gp2x From Your Pc's Usb Port.

I use the exact same schematics since a few months for my car.

That schematic converts anything between 5 and 28V STABLE to 3,3 Volt.
You can even change the current while the gp2x is running without any problem (which happens with a car battery, that's why I used that).

Hanz™ posted on Oct 16 2006 at 07:24 PM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 16 2006 at 04:24 PM said:
Redeeman posted on Oct 16 2006 at 04:20 PM said:
i was referring to the very opening post, saying:
"ati of www.gp2xtr.com made an accessory to power GP2X from PC's USB port. According to ati this will enable to use li-ion batteries in GP2X"
Ah, slap my ass and call me Shirley, sowy :D
I didn't wanna know that.
That's good, my boyfriend is the only one allowed to do that :) , except for the Shirley bit, as I would be well annoyed if he called me that :blink:

Anyway, it would be really kewl if USB could power the GP2X, but I still think the 2X will be unstable when overclocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, one of Korean made this one last year - yeah, I've used it for almost a year - and it has USB data transferring line also (on one USB port) I believe there was a thread about this with photo (not by me).

Everything fine I cannot tell you spec though. Some regulator magics done job quite well.

The only problem is it is quite painful to play/grab gp2x when it connected. The connector on the GP2x is located exactly where my right hand supposed to be :angry:

mittens posted on Oct 16 2006 at 07:56 PM said:
Well, one of Korean made this one last year - yeah, I've used it for almost a year - and it has USB data transferring line also (on one USB port) I believe there was a thread about this with photo (not by me).

Everything fine I cannot tell you spec though. Some regulator magics done job quite well.

The only problem is it is quite painful to play/grab gp2x when it connected. The connector on the GP2x is located exactly where my right hand supposed to be :angry:

Well as cool as this is and all, I would probably just make a custom 3.3v power jack on the front of my PC, seeing as how the PSU makes it already, but then again I would hook it to the battery clips directly so I could play properly, and I have made several custom PC's this year, so that is easier for me to do.

Come to think of it I have an old DVD player with a busted power supply, I wonder if I can strip the 3.3v regulator out of that and make this :).

As to the logic of powering this off of a USB port, it seems that going from 5 volts to 3.3 volts gives you 750 milliamps, not including losses. So if you are willing to put a strain on your USB ports you can do this.

But, a PC I built for a friend just fried his motherboard when he mis-used his USB ports, and the tiny weenie wire that most case builders use for the front ports is definetely not up to this kind of draw, if that is the case you really shouldn't subject the motherboard of the PC to it either.

It would be okay if you used 2 usb ports at once to spread the load, but it really isn't the best idea at all, just kind of a hack.

Just keep a spare set of Nimh in your pocket and you will have plenty of play time, add another set if you overclock heavily, have a bad power regulator in your GP2X, or play more than 7 hours in a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
ati is using LM317 as Voltage Regulator. It will be very hot. I have been used it from get power to GP2X for playing movie. GP2x will use up to around 700-800mA which got lots of energy drop at LM317. It is not the best way to step down voltage.

Back