Gp2x Standards Launches!

Orkie posted on Oct 31 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
Having a "/emus" directory on my SD card would drive me mad ;) I'd much prefer it to have the full word.
That's still up for debate if you want it changing Orkie :)

The filesystem is the main thing that we need to get right, as it will be the standard that makes the biggest improvement for everyone IMHO.
It's not set in stone yet so if any one wants to have there say on it, then please feel free to either post here or on the site.
I want to have a say on it: no no no no no no.

Fine, attempt to standardise UI things. A laudable goal.

I can't believe you can be seriously arguing the toss over whether a directory is called 'emus' or 'emulators'... you're not middle managers or something, are you? :p

It makes a lot more sense to hope that developers write software that will run from wherever it's put, and thus allow the user to put that program's installation tree where they want.

Some good ideas have come from you people thinking about some of the issues arising from many different developers working on different apps (or applications if you prefer).

IMHO in order to maintain your project's credibility you would be better off avoiding the production of diktats like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you need some standard for global libraries, SDL, etc. although the unix standard of /lib is fine for that.

Beyond that I agree than games should run from wherever they're put.

Well you need some standard for global libraries, SDL, etc. although the unix standard of /lib is fine for that.
Static-linking has been the approach favoured by a lot of people, as it's idiot-proof. Storage space is cheaper than the time spent dealing with someone who has loused up an install, or copied a different version of a shared lib over the top of the one you were depending on.

I can't believe you can be seriously arguing the toss over whether a directory is called 'emus' or 'emulators'... you're not middle managers or something, are you? :p
I wasn't arguing over anything... I am just worried that if these standards to get used, I'll have to have an 'emus' directory on my SD card, which will annoy me. I like file names to be, for the most part, full and correctly capitalised (though I can cope with things being all in lower case) :D

I'm not a developer so I don't know too much about that stuff, hence the reason for the standards site where everyone gets a say :).

Personally I was thinking more on the lines of the Audio, Video & Book folders being standards.
With these always being in the same place, it would be easier to intergrate the GP2X with online & offline sources of entertainment like SongBird, Democracy Player, Project Gutenberg & podcasts etc.

The dock will be out sometime near the end of December & it would be a sweet feature to connect your 2X to the dock & be able to download new entertaining content to the system. All the files could be transfered to the unit while you get ready for work/school (whatever?).

The less time we spend messing about transfering films etc., the more time there will be for playing games & using the GP2X for the purpose that it was originaly designed & made for.. entertainment :)

Here is how two folders are in my SD, and I really would hate to change it:

Music
Emulators

Anything else I dont really care, but please spell out emulators.

Here is how two folders are in my SD, and I really would hate to change it:

Music
Emulators

Anything else I dont really care, but please spell out emulators.
The filesystem might never get used but changed it anyway.

I thought that it would be better with an audio folder rather than a music folder, as audio also covers podcasts, album art, playlists & pretty much anything else to do with sound. Mine used to be called Tunes :)

why would we standardize the directories? We have already standardized the /roms/ directory, which I personally dont use unless its needed. I think that user configurable directories would be fine personally.

It should be remembered that the "standards" are really just recommendations. If you really don't agree with them then don't use them. Also maybe certain directories should be kept as standards names? It's certainly open for more discussion, in any case.

Back