Founder of Pirate Games - Penjin Coder
Staff member
Website
pokeparadox.itch.io
WEBSITE
https://github.com/pokeparadox
YOUTUBE
pokeparadox
GP2X Standards is a site, intended to give recommendations, on how to comfortably standardise certain facets of GP2X applications. It is hoped that anyone planning on GP2X development will use the site as a quick reference to keep their applications user friendly. The "standards" are the result of discussions on the forums of two of the biggest GP2X communities.
The site has an overview page for general use, but also provides further information on the items mentioned, should you wish to read up on how the standards were arrvied at.

Source:Project Infinity

Just a quick post to sign myself up for email notifications & to say that most of the standards on the site have come into use by developers over time anyway.
Hopefully people won't have a problem with them :)

EDIT: BTW.. I know the banners crap, but it's only there as a temp measure ;)

on the clock speed page.. it seems strange that it says 240mhz is the "correct" speed.. the native speed of the cpu is 200mhz.

i have a suggestion..
strongly urge people to add a commandline parameter to NOT relaunch the menu.. its very annoying have some apps that does it, some doesent(which then bundle a wrapper script).. this ofcourse is a shortcoming of gph's uglyness, but.. a --dontrelaunch would be nice, especially for gmenu2x users.

Redeeman posted on Oct 30 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
on the clock speed page.. it seems strange that it says 240mhz is the "correct" speed.. the native speed of the cpu is 200mhz.

i have a suggestion..
strongly urge people to add a commandline parameter to NOT relaunch the menu.. its very annoying have some apps that does it, some doesent(which then bundle a wrapper script).. this ofcourse is a shortcoming of gph's uglyness, but.. a --dontrelaunch would be nice, especially for gmenu2x users.
I was certain that it was a 240mhz native speed processor that was under-clocked to 200mhz by GPH to save on the battery? I'll check it out & amend if needed.

I havn't fully looked into the command line stuff or the ram timings yet, so if you want to do a write up on these then please feel free :)

Cheers for the heads up & idea Redeeman.

EDIT: Amended on page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you're right, it is underclocked to conserve the battery; but since that's the 'default speed' out of the box, then it probably should be an aim for software to run well at that speed (unless it can be underclocked :) )

JimmySlam posted on Oct 31 2006 at 12:38 AM said:
just one thing the gp2x on the top banner is a x2pg?
if u need help just send me a MP.
I couldn't be bothered to find a decent picture for the banner as it's only there until a better one is made. I was more worried about getting the content right ;).

Funny you should say that about help JimmySlam.. I was just going to send you a pm & ask if you could post it on gp32spain.com for me plz (& thanks for the offer) :D.

Cheers to all who have posted so far & signed up for the site, it's nice to know we've got support.
Just want to say that even if some of the people interested in this aren't developers themselves, it would still be a good idea for them to sign up for the site to show the developers how much interest there is in it.

Actually, I think I already voted.. (I had clicked "Submit", without selecting anything to see if it would show me the results and now they're always there, and the option to vote isn't. I doubt it matters though, it's showing 100% of the people are wanting it anyways, and I obviously don't want to change that.)

And,. Umm, I like the picture of the left handed GP2X on the banner. Very original.

Sounds like a good idea although I am still not sure about the B and X config for accept and cancel. I prefer it the other way around which I am used to as we use that in UK consoles.

I like the idea for standardising file locations, especially the music files in audio folder. I will support this in my next game for definite.

That's a nice idea. I've implemented that for uae4all gp2x now (version 0.6.2) as -norelaunchmenu.

Having a "/emus" directory on my SD card would drive me mad ;) I'd much prefer it to have the full word.

Guyfawkes posted on Oct 31 2006 at 01:41 PM said:
Sounds like a good idea although I am still not sure about the B and X config for accept and cancel. I prefer it the other way around which I am used to as we use that in UK consoles.

I like the idea for standardising file locations, especially the music files in audio folder. I will support this in my next game for definite.
I always prefered it the other way around too, but I'm getting used to it now & it fits in with the controls already set by GPH.
That's what comes from living in the U.K I guess.. we get used to different ways of doing things than the rest of the world ;)

critical posted on Oct 31 2006 at 04:01 PM said:
That's a nice idea. I've implemented that for uae4all gp2x now (version 0.6.2) as -norelaunchmenu.
Started to add this to the site & poke paradox is going to write up a command line tutorial (if possible) for anyone that needs one.

Orkie posted on Oct 31 2006 at 09:15 PM said:
Having a "/emus" directory on my SD card would drive me mad ;) I'd much prefer it to have the full word.
That's still up for debate if you want it changing Orkie :)

The filesystem is the main thing that we need to get right, as it will be the standard that makes the biggest improvement for everyone IMHO.
It's not set in stone yet so if any one wants to have there say on it, then please feel free to either post here or on the site.

Changes already made since the site went live..
The Start+R+L standard was changed as people thought that it was a little too restrictive. Instead of having to press the keys within a certain order, the program should except the keys in whatever order the user presses.

DawnOfTheRent came up with a good idea of how to improve on the mini manuals. I'll implement this when I can find the spare time (hopefully before the weekend).

Godmil requested a standard to be submitted of all programs using the same sound level when starting up. This will help solve the common problem of people nearly loosing their hearing while using headphones ;).

Redeeman suggested a standard for developers to add a command line parameter for NOT relaunching the menu.

Rooster sent me a message asking that the PDF with the standards on be easier for people to download. I've added a direct download link to the file within both the sidebar & the topbar of the site :).
The PDF is currently still in Beta mode & will be done fully when most standards have been agreed upon. If anyone is willing to translate this into any other language than English, could you please PM me or post in the comments.. thanks.

Forum links etc. on the front page of the GP2X Standards site.
Cheers all..

Hi all..

In an effort to make the site a more useful resource for the communities, I've implemented a couple more mods for you all to play with ;)

The site now has a suggestions page (Suggestions )..
Any ideas that members come up with for new standards can be posted in there. The other members can then leave comments & add their thoughts about the idea, before it's approved, noted or rejected etc.

An RSS Parser has been added (RSS Feeds)..
This adds quick lists to the front page of the site with the latest news from multiple sources (currently www.gp32x.de & Project Infinity). It also adds a full page to the site with the 3 latest full posts from each of the sites.
All Update to the latest posts once every hour :)

I've also added an IRC client to the site (DevChat IRC)..
This lets the user log on to the #gp2xdev IRC channel on irc.efnet.org & use the inbuilt IRC chat client without leaving the site. Very handy if you travel a lot, or often find yourself using other peoples computers with no IRC client. It's currently set to connect to #gp2xdev by default, but can be used to connect to any IRC channel by the user.
I'll improve the page later on to make it fit in better with the site & I'll also add info to the page (if possible?), including the addresses of some other useful IRC channels.

The voting system has been changed (a little) to include a public voting system. People don't have to sign up to the site any more just to vote on the standards.
Hopefully this won't be abused too much by people stumbling across the site, who have no real interest in the standards.

I might actually get this site finished some time soon :D

Back