Gp2x Review

I agree with iorgy on this one on all his points. The d stick will have been the result of long and considered decisions based on ergonomics and design which benefit the gp2x. To expect a change in design in the same month as release is proposterous. Thousands of parts will have been ordered and probably be sitting in boxes waiting to be fixed onto the finished units.

The whole thing seems to have been overlooked by us all despite being visible ever since the first pics filtered through. IMO, i think we should be happy with the design including the pad now and if it doesnt perform all that well, we could hound GPH to produce a new pad which could be retro fitted along with their range of different colour cases.

EDIT: just looked at the bare stick on the gp2x board and it looks like the gp32 stick should fit right on there if you feel the need to strip your trusty old gp32 down.

I'd rather GPH tell us that they can't change it than sit back and let the subject go without being addressed. The only reason it hasn't been pushed earlier is the thought that it can't be doen without really trying to find out.

If I can get an extra stick for the 2X that would be a better scenerio than nothing at all.

If the stick is easily detachable like on the GP32, then GPH could just sell concave sticks as an add-on, for a quid or so.

Heck, the same could be done with the buttons too. They did say they were thinking of releasing different coloured face plates.

As the launch date draws nearer. I begining to think I'd be content if it was pink covered in mucas

While I agree on the stick being concave Prophet, I kind of like the grey button color. All black kind of looks boring and cheap to me. What ever though I just want the damn thing already. Any more changes would likely bring a delay.. BAH!

Fixing the concave will be not too hard. You can grind it down. I will put it on a lathe and cut mine out so that doesn't bother me much. After looking at the Pictures fron Squidge I can see that the stick is removable :)

Prophet posted on Oct 4 2005 at 03:25 AM said:
Convex sucks. I'm going to do a complete DaveC on this matter. In fact I know DaveC agrees so hopefully he'll stop by and add his voice to the subject.
i agree with both of you

Last edited by a moderator:
x68000 posted on Oct 4 2005 at 11:31 AM said:
no more changes has been confirmed on the gpx2.com suggestions page, as expected.

usually takes a few days if they do. Still I'd much rather they simply say "no, we cant do that" then just roll over.

How about the dumb rubber flaps? Why do I need a flap covering my head phone port? I guess I understand the ext port being to big, but maybe a metal latch would have been better then crapy rubber.

OK, I figured it was too late now for changes. Oh well.

Hopefully the current pad will be good enough. If not, there's always the possibility for aftermarket replacements and/or mods. I believe the pad itself is removable (like the GP32 & PSP nub) so it won't be hard to switch out.

Alpha2 posted on Oct 4 2005 at 07:11 AM said:
There isnt anything wrong with having the stick be concave. The DC, Game cube and PS2 all have convex sticks and each one has a higher rate of grip loss than the GP32's stick with the depression for your thumb.

Grab a Game cube controller and test it. If you press a convex stick in one direction for a long period of time (as you;re likly to do with a 2D game) your thumb slowly begins to slip off the center forcing you to re-adjust your thumb to maintain accurate control. That's the point.

EXACTLY. Very well explained.

It's pure common sense, I'm amazed anyone doesn't see this even without having experience on both types.

I've never played a game where I had to press in 1 direction for a long period of time. Well, maybe Sonic was made like that at some points but then it's quite boring to constantly run in 1 direction.

Since GP2X have more then 8 directions I think that a convex joystick will be more accurate when you want to get a specific direction since it requires larger thumb motions.

i agree with fritz, i would be dissapointed if you cant change UI color, yellow=eww cyan aint much better

just looked through the gallery on the gpx2.com site and looking at the nicely finished prototypes to the almost finished unit, quality seems to have gone downhill rather dramitically.

GPH say that it is 95% complete now, so let's hope that the remainding 5% is going to improve the quality.

I just wish they stuck with the white version :(

x68000 posted on Oct 4 2005 at 04:53 PM said:
I just wish they stuck with the white version :(

Same here, I thought I was the only one that liked the white version.

But don't forget how we humans dna is only 1.6% different then a chimpanzees! ;)
Man the gp2x must be awsome! :lol:

i always think white consoles look a little more special - white psp, white game gear, white saturn - all japan only versions. Lets hope we can change the casing after launch.

Back