Gp2x Ordered

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Yippeee I just ordered a GP2X from Craig, It's not even 7:00am yet and I ordered it next day delivery. I wonder if it will turn up tomorrow?

iignotus posted on Sep 28 2006 at 06:45 AM said:
:lol: Took you long enough!
Well, sometimes there are more important things in life, like clothes, food, rent, clothes, bills, clothes wine and clothes :D. Oh and I thought because I am developing for the GP2X now I can definitely justify the expense, it will also give me more of an incentive to finish Myriad and continue with other ideas. You never know, it might even egg me on to learn C, which will please Sam no end :)

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 28 2006 at 01:12 AM said:
Well, sometimes there are more important things in life, like clothes, food, rent, clothes, bills, clothes wine and clothes

:eek:

Great! You will love it! :)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 28 2006 at 07:12 AM said:
Well, sometimes there are more important things in life, like clothes, food, rent, clothes, bills, clothes, wine and clothes :D
Saying nothing, but "clothes" were mentioned more than once there..... :)
Noticed there was not mention of "shoes" though....

Congrats on the purchase, hope the "C/Programming" bug bites soon!

nice one. i still need to order mine. sucks because now I have three game ideas in development for it :) worse, I cant draw a lick, even stick figures give me headaches lol. I hope to order late this week... will see or not...

BenScar posted on Sep 28 2006 at 12:32 PM said:
Well, sometimes there are more important things in life, like clothes, food, rent, clothes, bills, clothes, wine and clothes :D
Noticed there was not mention of "shoes" though....

Congrats on the purchase, hope the "C/Programming" bug bites soon!
I'm not really a shoes person, much prefer to shop for clothes & gadgets in that order :) !!!

Regarding A, I mean B, oops I mean C! I have been meaning to get into it for ages. I have played with a few languages so far: Basic, Javascript, PHP, ASP.NET, SQL, Actionscript, Game Maker Scripting & Fenix. I think it's about time I caught up with C.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 28 2006 at 01:10 PM said:
I'm not really a shoes person, much prefer to shop for clothes & gadgets in that order :) !!!
That's alright then... :)
You're attached aren't you? My wife isn't in to gadgets at all.... *lol*

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 28 2006 at 01:10 PM said:
Regarding A, I mean B, oops I mean C! I have been meaning to get into it for ages. I have played with a few languages so far: Basic, Javascript, PHP, ASP.NET, SQL, Actionscript, Game Maker Scripting & Fenix. I think it's about time I caught up with C.
hehehehe, sounds like you've "been round the houses", did you prefer any of them in particular?

I started out with C64 basic, Amiga Basic, then 68000 Assembely, onto C++ (dropped that for a long while), moved in to VBA, VB6, HTML, ASP, VBScript, Javascript, SQL, VB.NET, ASP.NET (from v1.0 to v2.0 now...) and finally almost full circle back to C++ although this time with a better grounding in programming overall.
Saying that still using .NET for day to day stuff at work, C++ is purely for the 2x :)
Might have to take up C# though, work "demands" it!

BenScar posted on Sep 28 2006 at 02:55 PM said:
Yes I am attached to the worlds loveliest man :rolleyes:, sowy.

hehehehe at sounds like you've "been round the houses", did you prefer any of them in particular?

I started out with C64 basic, Amiga Basic, then 68000 Assembely, onto C++ (dropped that for a long while), moved in to VBA, VB6, HTML, ASP, VBScript, Javascript, SQL, VB.NET, ASP.NET (from v1.0 to v2.0 now...) and finally almost full circle back to C++ although this time with a better grounding in programming overall.
Saying that still using .NET for day to day stuff at work, C++ is purely for the 2x :)
Might have to take up C# though, work "demands" it!
Well to be honest I have always had a fondness for good old ZX Basic on the Spectrum, it was kind of fun with it's unique keyword entry system. But what is my present favourite? I love PHP, for server side scripting it's ace, especially the way it binds with MySQL. I can PHP with my eyes closed :D. I never really like .NET that much, I felt it was a bit overkill and trundles a bit compared to PHP. Or maybe that was my server :blink:.

I hope you don't cut yourself on the C# :D

BenScar posted on Sep 28 2006 at 01:32 PM said:

Yeah, and what's worse... Wine was only mentioned once, and beer and whisky were completely omitted...

Get your priorities straight, woman! ;)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 28 2006 at 05:56 PM said:

Nonsense, I never even met you!

Oh, wait... loveliest? My bad, I thought you said "ugliest"... :lol:

Learning C makes you cool. I guarantee it.

It also drives you crazy, and you'll be saying "Segmentation Fault" over and over in your sleep :)

nickspoon posted on Sep 28 2006 at 08:12 PM said:
Learning C makes you cool. I guarantee it.

It also drives you crazy, and you'll be saying "Segmentation Fault" over and over in your sleep :)
I get that already, it must be fate :D

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 28 2006 at 04:56 PM said:
:) No worries, I'm more than attached the worlds lovelist wife.

But what is my present favourite? I love PHP, for server side scripting it's ace, especially the way it binds with MySQL. I can PHP with my eyes closed :D.
PHP is someting I'd like to get into, although there's something always stopping me.
Is MySQL anything like "real" SQL ? Seems like something else I should know :)
Did you use them for anything in particular or just wanted a new challenage?

I never really like .NET that much, I felt it was a bit overkill and trundles a bit compared to PHP. Or maybe that was my server :blink:.
.NET overkill? It's from Microsoft, why would you think that? :)
It seems to run OK once it's cached the DLLs on P3 1Gig, although that's just the dev machine. Wouldn't want to try running to much on that sort of machine...

I hope you don't cut yourself on the C# :D
hehehehe, I think I'll need a # mind to get to grips with it...

Great Stuff, WarmFluffy! I'm sure you'll be making world class stuff in no time. *Nod*

Enjoy! Hope you get a superb unit with zero hangups and a full 300MHz overclock ability.

BenScar posted on Sep 28 2006 at 11:09 PM said:

Yes and no. MySQL is pretty retarded, but it's good enough for what most people use datbases for anyway.

The stuff that irks me the most about MySQL is that it doesn't throw errors or warnings when you try to insert, say a string value into an integer field... Sure, it's wrong, and I (or the app I'm writing) should know better, but come on... This is 2006, get with the times already!

The other FOSS alternative prefered by many DB purists is PostgreSQL, which is quite a bit better as far as standards compliance goes, but it's something of a bitch to maintain come upgrade time...

Nighty posted on Sep 29 2006 at 06:42 AM said:
BenScar posted on Sep 28 2006 at 11:09 PM said:

Yes and no. MySQL is pretty retarded, but it's good enough for what most people use datbases for anyway.

The stuff that irks me the most about MySQL is that it doesn't throw errors or warnings when you try to insert, say a string value into an integer field... Sure, it's wrong, and I (or the app I'm writing) should know better, but come on... This is 2006, get with the times already!

The other FOSS alternative prefered by many DB purists is PostgreSQL, which is quite a bit better as far as standards compliance goes, but it's something of a bitch to maintain come upgrade time...
Don't forget about Oracle, another widely used SQL database. Horrible to use with PHP though.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Sep 29 2006 at 07:48 AM said:
Don't forget about Oracle, another widely used SQL database. Horrible to use with PHP though.

It's not Free (as in freedom), and it's not free (as in beer) for commercial use, and it doesn't integrate well with most Linux distros, existing completely outside the package management...

It's pretty good though, and I've used it with PHP back in 2001 during my previous job, worked quite nicely actually... Then again, we had good wrapper classes around the whole DB that were developed in-house... Functions like ExecuteRead that took an SQL select string as an argument, and returned the data into an array object kind of thing on which functions to traverse the array were defined, or ExecuteWrite that took an SQL insert/update string and automatically returned the insert id associated with that write (something akin to PHP's mysql_insert_id() function for MySQL, but without having to explicitly call it).

Too bad they were quite anal when it came to intellectual property; they use FOSS, but something as simple as those wrapper classes would never get released back to the community since it might be used by the competition... As if the competition wouldn't be able to make decent websites in a short timeframe without those classes *rofl*.

Back