Gp2x Invaders - Early Preview Released

Gadget

Hi,

I have released a very early version of 'GP2X Invaders'. It's a retro game, and I want to make sure it's working OK for everyone at this stage, and to try and gauge interest.

The final game will have many enemies, attack types, wave formations, powerups & weapons, as well as secret sectors, more bosses, and mini games.

Please give it a try! The final release may be commercial, but it will be a few weeks yet at least.

Also remember that lots will change (for the better hopefully!)

http://www.c5hosting.co.uk/downloads/GP2XInvadersPreview.zip

Fantastic!

Seriously, I just played a couple of games. It feels pretty polished already, I'd like to see where it goes from here.

If I had one negative observation it's that the sprites look a bit too bright and shiny to me, for some reason, but I'm sure someone else will disagree with that.

Keep up the good work.

Very nice little shooter =)

I did find the enemy fire a little hard to see and kept dying as a result, but that could just be my old eyes lol.

Wow, thanks guys =D I will take all this feedback into account and make the required improvements! I want to make it fun to play, and not too linear like most invaders clones. I have some great features to add and will release a newer demo version sometime over the next week or 2.

Gadget posted on Aug 15 2006 at 04:04 AM said:
Wow, thanks guys =D I will take all this feedback into account and make the required improvements! I want to make it fun to play, and not too linear like most invaders clones. I have some great features to add and will release a newer demo version sometime over the next week or 2.

I too liked the game a bunch.. I agree with the above poster about the enemy fire.. It seems a bit hard to see.

other than that I have no complaints..

Keep up the good work.. Its good to see some good homebrew comming in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, it's a tough game - or I am a bad player... Like the other guys I think that enemy an player fire needs to be much more visible. Also maybe the diagonals could register as left and right aswell ? I don't know about anyone else but I kept having this problem where I would push the stick off the right or left onto a diagonal and the ship went dead...

Just some thoughts...

Thanks for sharing :D hope you make some $$$ with this one, it seems popular...

Cool game. My feedback is just the same as everyone else's; I can hardly see the shots fired so they're hard to dodge. It's fun though and I'd like to see what it develops into.

thetictacaddict posted on Aug 16 2006 at 07:18 AM said:
Cool game. My feedback is just the same as everyone else's; I can hardly see the shots fired so they're hard to dodge. It's fun though and I'd like to see what it develops into.

I did not expect much and was pleasantly surprised. I've got the same problems with both mine and the enemy's fire being hard to see.

It would be nice to see some degradation of the enemy ships when they require multiple hits. You now hit them as much as possible after which they just dissapear.

And I want to know what the different upgrades do. Maybe an info screen showing what they do and how to use them?

For the rest, really polished shooter which has the "just one more time" magic!

Marco

Kannibaal posted on Aug 16 2006 at 08:05 AM said:
thetictacaddict posted on Aug 16 2006 at 07:18 AM said:

I did not expect much and was pleasantly surprised. I've got the same problems with both mine and the enemy's fire being hard to see.

It would be nice to see some degradation of the enemy ships when they require multiple hits. You now hit them as much as possible after which they just dissapear.

And I want to know what the different upgrades do. Maybe an info screen showing what they do and how to use them?

For the rest, really polished shooter which has the "just one more time" magic!

Marco

Thanks for the feedback so far! I have increased the visibility of the lasers and made the game a little easier (player can take so many hits before loosing a ship).

Cool game! Here's my feedback

I agree with everyone else, (although the bullets become easier to see once you move away from earth). And I would add that I would like the invaders to flash white or something when they get hit. As they get tougher it sometimes seems like your bullets aren't doing anything.

I like it though, off for another go.

After playing it some more, here's a follow-up to my post from your other thread:

- like the previous poster said, make a bullet-enemy collision effect
- change the shield from the joy-click to a regular button; the click is awkward, at least for me.
- consider re-touching the enemy sprites for the first wave, they look unpolished compared to the rest of them.

Overall you have a very addicting game here, keep up the good work. :)

- Alex

tmb_ayebe posted on Aug 17 2006 at 01:28 PM said:
Cool game! Here's my feedback

I agree with everyone else, (although the bullets become easier to see once you move away from earth). And I would add that I would like the invaders to flash white or something when they get hit. As they get tougher it sometimes seems like your bullets aren't doing anything.

I like it though, off for another go.

Yup... my feelings exactly. I like it, but when you're at the "Mars" level and happen to lose a ship - leaving you with your single shot cannon - it takes a lot of effort to blow up one baddie. Especially when the power ups are so few and far between by this time.

Being able to see some sort of damage indication on the baddies as your blasting away at them would be kind of cool, though.

Fun game. I'll sure enjoy playing it.

hackgrid posted on Aug 18 2006 at 11:16 AM said:
There is a shield? oO

Yes, press the thumbstick down to activate it. (I will change the controls soon)

After a playing a few more times I've noticed that the invaders actually have teeny tiny energy bars over their heads - they gradually get smaller as you hit them. Quite useful to see where the weak ones are. :)

I got as far as two levels after the big flying saucer. Anyone completed it yet?

tmb_ayebe posted on Aug 18 2006 at 07:37 PM said:
I got as far as two levels after the big flying saucer. Anyone completed it yet?
Alex will take a crack at that tonight... tonight, tonight, tonight! *

- Alex

* Thou shalt not post when half asleep.

Back