Ghostbusters Gp2x Port (more Of A Rewrite...) V0.01

Gadget

gb1.jpg
I have released a preview of Ghostbusters for the GP2X. It's FREEWARE!

I have yet (this weekend) to finish the car and streamer collision detection, as well as the marshmallow man / final battle and some cut scenes and some sprite fixes (see through bits on busters atm). Looking for bugs at this stage, and to see if anyone is actually interested in this game.[cut]

Those bits should be possible this weekend. It's taken much longer than expected to get this far!

Donations welcome. (not just for me, but the originators) Please see the readme.txt for additional info.

Please remember to thank the guys that created the initial PC version of this retro-remake. Trevor (Smila) Storey and Scottige, Music by Xentrix and the Evil Scotsman.

http://www.c5hosting.co.uk/downloads/Ghostbusters_WIP.zip
EDIT: YOU NEED THIS AS WELL:- (Executable Windows and GP2X)
http://www.c5hosting.co.uk/downloads/Executables.zip

gb2.jpg

gb3.jpg
[/cut]

I am aware of the following btw:-

Marshmallow attack isn't working, nor bait. When you catch a ghost, one of the busters vanishes, as well as the trap. I hope to get this all done this weekend =D

EDIT: Oh, and if you press 'Y' it adds 1000 PK (for testing purposes atm), and you can't win even if you have more than 10K.

EDIT2: Just added Marshmallow man in =D He looks pretty cool. I will post another release on Saturday, hopefully complete, with bugs ironed out.

Am I missing something here? The download link doesn't include an executable - is this intentional? I understood the link was for a semi-playable WIP version?

Anyways, looking forward to this :) The remake was/is excellent, and would be nice to play on the GP2X... keep up the good work :)

Cheers
Tony

Wooooaaahh!
One of my favourite games, with beaaaaauutiful graphics!
Fantastic! Can't wait :)

Now, just some more remakes... of Alter Ego and Bruce Lee... and Impossible Mission... and I'm sooooo happy :)

This is one of those games that looks amazing. Haven't tried it yet, but I suspect as and when it's a little more complete, this'll end up being one of those long-term residents on my SD. Unless it's 200mb or something. But hey...

DialTone posted on Sep 28 2006 at 11:19 PM said:
Am I missing something here? The download link doesn't include an executable - is this intentional? I understood the link was for a semi-playable WIP version?

Anyways, looking forward to this :) The remake was/is excellent, and would be nice to play on the GP2X... keep up the good work :)

Cheers
Tony

Ooops! I was pretty tired...

Here it is:- http://www.c5hosting.co.uk/downloads/Executables.zip

Needs to be structured:-
/Ghostbusters/<executables here>
/Ghostbusters/data/<original zip files extracted here>

Last edited by a moderator:
ah ah, excellent news ! :D

it's good to see that excellent game coming back from the past.
thank you for this good idea and your hard work !

baalim posted on Sep 29 2006 at 07:09 AM said:
ah ah, excellent news ! :D

it's good to see that excellent game coming back from the past.
thank you for this good idea and your hard work !

Well, it wasn't my idea... Well, it was, but I was beaten to it by Scotige and Smila, and to be honest the graphics came out better for it, so I am glad they beat me to it =D

It's not complete yet, but it will be over the next few days. I added in the Marshmallow Man scene last night and it's looking great =D Just need to sort out the cut scenes, final battle and the ability to 'save your account', rather than enter account numbers... I might still offer the ability to enter an account number, which will auto generated an account slot. Oh, and the final things are the instructions screen and difficulty which shouldn't be more than 20 mins work.

EDIT: Anyone managed to use RotoZoom yet or something similar on the GP2X? I want to replicate the zoom in and out of the splash / title screen that features in Scotige and Smilas version.

ste_167 posted on Sep 29 2006 at 09:36 AM said:
The MD version was a disappointing platformer. My favourite version is the C64 one - great music!

Ahh this is why I bought a GP2x - you guys programming these remakes are the best! Ghostbusters was a great C64 game ... I think these remakes are superb because I still have problems with the C64 Amiga etc emulators running my favorite games.

I think that as long as the remakes have the same spirit as the originals and the graphics are not too over the top they are the best reason to own a GP2x - I just wish I was as clever as these programmer dudes..

Anyway look forward to the finished version - you ROCK MAN!!!

Great work,

Will test this version during the week-end. This games was in my c64 top 10

Thank you very very much

bacteria posted on Sep 29 2006 at 11:36 AM said:
Just tried to play it, all I got was a blank screen. Had to reboot my GP2x. Using firmware 2.0 if that makes any difference.

Did you have the following paths setup?:-

/Ghostbusters/
/Ghostbusters/data/

If it's not loading it must be a path related problem.

I like this re-releasing of good old games for the GP2X. i really enjoyed the Chuckie egg prog that someone created and now this! Having said that i *somehow* never played ghostbusters in my youth, but i hear people say it was a good game.

Will download tonight. Full marks for the effort. Must be very rewarding to see the game come along :)

Wow I remeber playing ghostbusters on the Atari 2600! No idea if this bears ne relation =) thanks

Back