Gp2x Invaders - Preview V0.2

Gadget

I have released an updated work in progress version of 'GP2X Invaders'.

This version uses the Hardware SDL by paeryn. There is still a lot that will change, and much more content to follow in later releases.

It flickers occasionally due to a bug somewhere in the HW SDL I think? Anyone else had this? There may still be a memory leak in there somewhere as well.

You can download the game here:-

http://www.c5hosting.co.uk/downloads/GP2XI...sPreview0.2.zip

When you get to the first mini boss (wave 5 ish) or the end of level boss, you need to press the 'Y' button when it flashes up, to disable the enemies shields, if you miss time it the little wave will turn red and you need to wait x number of seconds for a re-try

I am interested to know if anyone has it crash like mine does after so long. Sometimes it's just before the end of level boss dies, other times it's several waves later.

A is normal fire, B toggles your special weapon, X fires the special weapon (use L + R triggers to steer guided missile), and Pad button enables your shield. It's much easier in this version (3 lives plus a health bar). Sorry the controls (re menus) aren't consistent at the moment, and I know people don't like the pad button...

gp2x_invaders2.jpg

gp2x_invaders1.jpg

You know, I really like this game. :D

This is much improved over the earlier version I played (I think I might have skipped a version). The aliens glow red when hit, and there are a number of special weapons to collect including a five way shot! Because the number of powerup drops decreases sharply as the game goes on, it is definately in your interests to hang on to any extra weapons you get hold of in the early game.

I managed to complete level 1 B) but then I had stop playing and do some work. Pesky work.

The way that you have to 'hack the sheilds' of the motherships (press 'y') is novel and works quite well. Especially in the last battle where you have to do it repeatedly.

I did get the odd graphical glitch, but the game didn't crash for me. :)

I couldn't work out what 'b' does though. After collecting certain powerups, it would change an icon at the side, but didn't seem to make any difference to the game.

tmb_ayebe posted on Sep 4 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
You know, I really like this game. :D

This is much improved over the earlier version I played (I think I might have skipped a version). The aliens glow red when hit, and there are a number of special weapons to collect including a five way shot! Because the number of powerup drops decreases sharply as the game goes on, it is definately in your interests to hang on to any extra weapons you get hold of in the early game.

I managed to complete level 1 B) but then I had stop playing and do some work. Pesky work.

The way that you have to 'hack the sheilds' of the motherships (press 'y') is novel and works quite well. Especially in the last battle where you have to do it repeatedly.

I did get the odd graphical glitch, but the game didn't crash for me. :)

I couldn't work out what 'b' does though. After collecting certain powerups, it would change an icon at the side, but didn't seem to make any difference to the game.

Hey!

Thanks very much for the feedback! It's very useful to have this kind of information early on, so I can tweak the game play according to 'what people want'. =D B selects the next 'special' weapon you have. There's a bug that allows you to toggle between nothing, and the special weapons. If you have a weapon you shouldn't be able to select 'nothing' as a weapon. If you see what I mean... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gadget posted on Sep 4 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
Thanks very much for the feedback!

Hey, no problem!

Gadget posted on Sep 4 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
B selects the next 'special' weapon you have.

Ah yes, I just read the instructions more carefully "X fires the special weapon". I wasn't doing that :rolleyes: I'll give that a try later :lol:

Thanks for making this game - it's cool.

I've been looking out for the next release of this game ever since the first one came out. I'll leave you some feedback later on today :)

- Alex

I am interested to know if anyone has it crash like mine does after so long. Sometimes it's just before the end of level boss dies, other times it's several waves later.

Yeah it crashes on my machine after a long time playing. Usually at the end of a level, especially when wrapping around to the first level again (nice graylien by the way) How can I ever get it to save my massive high scores if it keeps crashing.

Does it have any debug output? I could have a look on the console next time I play. I'm having problems with the SD card socket at the moment. One of my cards split in 2 and the other one seems to have been nuked.

I hope my nand has enough room 4 your game.

Had another go this evening - the special weapon rocks - two lines go up the screen and sort of twist the aliens into oblivion. :lol:

Still no crashes though.

>I am interested to know if anyone has it crash like mine does after so long. Sometimes it's just before the >end of level boss dies, other times it's several waves later.

Old version used to crash, new version is great. Been playing for 8 hours to test my lithium ion battery pack that I'm making. Room still smells of the tantalum caps I blew up on the buck converter(lm2576-adj)[rtfm me].

I've nearly made 1 million on the score.

I think the old version used to crash because of my shitty Nimh batteries.

Great game.

Nice game! Thanks for making the shots bigger alot easier to see, invaders are very violent! madeit to the second saucer, a few flickers could see what looks like the hud but slightly displaced.

keep up the good work

Thanks for the great feedback! I will resolve the issues and add some more content soon. :D

I gave it a serious go last night, and I must say I really enjoyed it. :) It has that quick addictive feel to it. I must say I didn't even notice the transition from the first planet to the next, that's how absorbive the gameplay is! The life bar on the side is great too, as is the red blinking when the enemies get hit by your fire.

The only bug that stopped me from playing it happened at the first boss: no matter for how long I kept shooting it, its life bar didn't go down at all. I kept shooting it for five minutes to no avail.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Sep 6 2006 at 06:46 PM said:
I gave it a serious go last night, and I must say I really enjoyed it. :) It has that quick addictive feel to it. I must say I didn't even notice the transition from the first planet to the next, that's how absorbive the gameplay is! The life bar on the side is great too, as is the red blinking when the enemies get hit by your fire.

The only bug that stopped me from playing it happened at the first boss: no matter for how long I kept shooting it, its life bar didn't go down at all. I kept shooting it for five minutes to no avail.

- Alex

You need to hit 'Y' when the 'Y' icon is visible, to hack the alien ships shields =D

EDIT: btw, thanks for the feedback =D I hope the next release is even more fun to play. I have lots of new stuff to add in.

Back