Gp2x Invaders - Preview V0.2

Gadget

I have released an updated work in progress version of 'GP2X Invaders'.

This version uses the Hardware SDL by paeryn. There is still a lot that will change, and much more content to follow in later releases.

It flickers occasionally due to a bug somewhere in the HW SDL I think? Anyone else had this? There may still be a memory leak in there somewhere as well.

You can download the game here:-

http://www.c5hosting.co.uk/downloads/GP2XI...sPreview0.2.zip

EDIT: When you get to the first mini boss (wave 5 ish) or the end of level boss, you need to press the 'Y' button when it flashes up, to disable the enemies shields, if you miss time it the little wave will turn red and you need to wait x number of seconds for a re-try

A is normal fire, B toggles your special weapon, X fires the special weapon (use L + R triggers to steer guided missile), and Pad button enables your shield. It's much easier in this version (3 lives plus a health bar). Sorry the controls (re menus) aren't consistent at the moment, and I know people don't like the pad button...

gp2x_invaders2.jpg

gp2x_invaders1.jpg

The green bullets the basic enemies fire are a bit hard to see for me. I also think there should be some sort of audio cue when you get hit. Pressing the joystick in for the shield doesn't brother me.

Good game though. I like the powerups and I look forward to what other people think.

i like it even if its a bit 'robotic' .. i mean i found that i just held the button down most of the time, and watched the bullets stream towards the baddies, with a kind of 'pattern' in the gameplay which, sooner or later, got a bit tepid.

gameplay-wise, its not like i want it 'easier', just that it'd be nice of monotony weren't the 'difficult' part about killing things. things i'd like to see 'tweaked', or at least only considered:

- make the fire-mode not so repetitive/mix it up a bit .. the 'peu peu' gets ear-achey after about a minute.
- more bonuses, sooner, which allow you less 'dancing' and more 'creative weaponry usage'
- less 'need lotsa hits' aliens, and more 'random explosive hit-points'.. it gets monotonous to have to hit something 50 or so times before it dies, and then have to do the same for its 3 or 12 brethren.

Back