Gp2x First Game And Application Program Is Open!

Just a sanity check here. $5000 for a prize, even if only for first, IS A LOT OF MONEY. From what I know of from the PocketPC market, if you make a top selling game, yes, you can make $90,000+ US a year. That's not net profit though, as Handango and many other distributors take a large cut, sometimes over 50% and thats more often than not. I've seen developers of PocketPC games sell a top tier title, and then make only $100 a month on another game in net profit. So it's hit or miss.

To be brutally honest, most entries will never be commercially viable, and if they were commercially viable, they probably wouldn't be using a contest to promote it.

Look at this contest to spur more development for the GP2X and keep it thriving. $5000 is a good first prize, and is a lot of money for a handheld game. There's a lot of developers that would strongly consider to sell their handheld game's licensing for a sum like that. If it were $15,000 it would be a good sweet spot.

$20 a game sold. $10 to merchant fee's and distributing. $5 for artwork and music. $5 net profit...1000 copies need to be sold to reach that prize. Try selling 1000 copies of a handheld game on most distributors, its possible, it happens, just not for many.

But rights to the entry is still important regardless. I too would like to know what the status is on this.

Just keep things in perspective.

That is a good reality check but it doesn't apply well to people who had a game under development already that they are pouring tons of their time, sweat and tears into, and don't exactly just want to sign away. You're talking about control over something you put loads of effort into, something dear and close to you because it is your hard work and your accomplishment. It's a big leap to give anyone the rights to your hard work. It's hard to view giving the rights to GPH as anything but a mistake when they have done nothing to prove they have any idea as to how to market ANYTHING correctly, much less with respect and justice befitting of someone else's hard work-- look at the job they've done with the console, the release (how many times has this system been released for the first time?) .. the firmware and people's complaints and concerns.

If this is the best GPH can do with their money-- get some halfhearted entries no one has any attachment to to transfer the rights of their software over to them-- they may as well give up on the idea and pour the money into making a newer revision of the GP2X to alleviate some of the lingering concerns of users. Like a unit with a proper D-pad or 'click-stick', or a couple of onboard USB ports, things that'd be easy to concieve, design, and implement-- rather than pissing away money on such a useless endeavor.

If you ask me, they could have rather had a chat with one of the already well-known indie game developers and offered THEM this money (and a proper distribution agreement) to produce either a port of one of their best games or to build an entirely NEW game.

I'll name a few games here that would be awesome on a GP2X:
Gish, Starscape, N, Oasis, Weirld Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, Devil Whiskey, Titan Attacks, etc.

And now I've only mentioned some of the good games these different developers have created. Puppygames, who made Titan Attacks, has made tons of retro-feeling games that look slick as hell and play like heaven. Give THEM the money, and have them make a game for the GP2X. You're guaranteed to not see that game on any other platform than the PC and the GP2X id this were to happen. I'd love to bring Titan Attacks with me on the train, and would gladly pay for the game again to achieve that.

Magnulus posted on Jul 2 2006 at 04:39 AM said:
If you ask me, they could have rather had a chat with one of the already well-known indie game developers and offered THEM this money (and a proper distribution agreement) to produce either a port of one of their best games or to build an entirely NEW game.

I'll name a few games here that would be awesome on a GP2X:
Gish, Starscape, N, Oasis, Weirld Worlds: Return to Infinite Space, Devil Whiskey, Titan Attacks, etc.

And now I've only mentioned some of the good games these different developers have created. Puppygames, who made Titan Attacks, has made tons of retro-feeling games that look slick as hell and play like heaven. Give THEM the money, and have them make a game for the GP2X. You're guaranteed to not see that game on any other platform than the PC and the GP2X id this were to happen. I'd love to bring Titan Attacks with me on the train, and would gladly pay for the game again to achieve that.
Since the rules explicitly discourage ports of games from other platforms, it seems they are hoping to get some content that people have to buy a gp2x to play. Or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the rules explicitly discourage ports of games from other platforms, it seems they are hoping to get some content that people have to buy a gp2x to play. Or something.
Wow, that's exactly what I said (not told) GPH should do, and they actually did it. Looks like I'm smart after all.

Hmm.. what I'm worried about, is are you allowed to keep the rights to the content, eg make a sequel?

JaqMs posted on Jul 2 2006 at 04:23 PM said:
Wow, that's exactly what I said (not told) GPH should do, and they actually did it. Looks like I'm smart after all.
I find that difficult to believe.

I have confirmation this morning :

- winners will receive their prize, plus a contract of distribution on GP2X. Of course, they will receive royalties on sales
- non winners, if their game is good enough, will negociate a contract of distribution (and will receive royalties on sales)

I'm still waiting the answer about the possibilities to release games on other systems. But i think it should be ok

I cannot believe anyone would take GPH for such a cold-hearted corp. :p

I thought, from day one, that the 5K prize was for the best of the category... then there will be discussions as to if you can distribute the game commercially. The distribution would be seperate, and if they didn't meet your terms, you... do what you will with it.

Another confirmation, commercial games could be released on other systems

Contests rules will be changed this morning ;)

This is a complete clusterfuck. How can anyone safely enter into this contest when you could potentially be entering a legally binding agreement with people who don't comprehend English? How could terms both sides interpret differently even be viewed as legally binding?

The whole thing is certainly amusing. It shouldn't be too hard for them to say:

"Whether you win or not, you retain the rights to your software. We might want to nake you an offer to publish your software and will discuss that separately after the contest."

... if that is what they really mean.

Hopefully the update coming "this morning" will help. Questions about this have sat for four days without an answer on their contest web site.

If they're looking for games to publish, it seems to me that a contest is a kind of weird way to go about it. They could just say: "We're looking for great games to publish. You get 20% plus a $3000 advance on royalties! Send us your game and we'll have a look!"

Still, I continue to think it might be fun to try making an entry although the time is getting very short to make something decent now. Given what GPH seems to want to accomplish with this contest, I wonder what the ideal entry would look like? (being realistic about what could be accomplished)..

Update:

On their forum, GPH have said that instead of "copyright", it will be changed to "exclusive sales license".

As in "Applicants agree to assign the exclusive sales license to Gamepark Holdings".

I'm not sure how much help this is though.

Ok, some more info from the answers to questions on the contest page.

It seems pretty clear that if you enter a game in this contest, you are not allowed to sell that game yourself on the gp2x whether you win a prize or not, even if GPH does not want to sell the game themselves.

Dzz posted on Jul 4 2006 at 07:28 AM said:
Ok, some more info from the answers to questions on the contest page.

It seems pretty clear that if you enter a game in this contest, you are not allowed to sell that game yourself on the gp2x whether you win a prize or not, even if GPH does not want to sell the game themselves.
I read some more of the replies. It seems you can't sell the game if it has the GPH or GP2X logo on the game screen.

Hi
As you may know, GPH should take every responsiblity for the games that will be distributed with the logo of GPH and GP2X on the game screen. for this reason, every console holder is maintaining very strong and firm distribution license policy. but unlike other console holders, GPH is not intending to wholly ban developers from distributing their games or selling their games. GPH is just banning game unathorized by GPH officially from using GPH official logo or implying that the game is official one. and if you want, you can release a demo version through many communties related to GP2X in order to know which factors you need to improve or amend and you can always contact GPH for commercial game contract.

Thanks

Remove the logos, and we should be able to do anything we like with it. Regardless, I am seriously not interested in this contest anymore.

yaustar posted on Jul 5 2006 at 08:16 AM said:
Remove the logos, and we should be able to do anything we like with it. Regardless, I am seriously not interested in this contest anymore.
Yes, I'm also tired of trying to chase down these contradictory statements to figure out what they actually mean (I expect they don't even know). Perhaps something will come from this contest, but I'm going to skip it myself.

Here are the modified terms:

# Every commercial game is eligible for a license contract if good enough.
# In the case of prize winning work (1st and 2nd place), the applicants of the works hand over the exclusive license of sales to GPH and GPH should share royalties with the applicants
# sharing royalty rate will be decided by GPH according to the general policy of GPH. But if GPH invest funds on the games after this contest, the profit sharing rate may be alternated through the negotiation with the applicants
# Regardless of whether the games submitted to this commercial game category win any prize or not, the intellectual property and copyright belong to the applicants.
# Application software is subject to open source license. And the applicant shall own the copyright of the entry.
# Applicants shall respect and observe all the terms and conditions according to GPH contest guideline and Contest management organization.

So commercial games published by GPH will pay royalties to the authors. :)

with the wording and rules revised it seems pretty good for devs. it seems you pretty much keep all rights to games and can do whatever you want with them which was the main concern for a lot of people. you finally got the answers you wanted so how would you not want to enter unless you just have no interest in making a commercial game or releasing your source.

Back