1st Official Gp2x Game And Application Development Contest

efegea

Hello All

We are organizing a Game and Application Development Contest for GP2X ! ! !

So, if you are planning to develop games or applications for GP2X (or already doing it), you will be very interested by this contest !

Here is the list of the rewards :

- 1st: $5,000, GP2x fullest
- 2nd: 1 team, $3,000, GP2x full-set
- 3rd: 2 teams $500, GP2X full-set
- 4th: 5 teams, GP2X full-set

Quite interesting, no ?

More informations about this contest will come very soon.

Source: GP2X official board

We should spread the word - Developers would love the prospect of winning such an amount.

hehe first price for fullspeed gba emulation... lol nevermind ^^

How about let's hope NOT. Depending on how long the contest will last, I'd expect a first-place game/application to be somewhere in between GBA and PSP quality. This contest would be such a waste if everyone were to submit mediocre entries, like an emulator.

hmm a from scratch gba emu that would play games in fullspeed on the gp2x would be a "quality" entry and not waste of time.
but i think your right in the point that some great homebrew games are awesome too im looking forward to this contest....

Neo Child posted on May 28 2006 at 11:16 PM said:
But I was just wondering, what is the "Full-Set" you speak of?

Probably a GP2X + carry case + TV-Out + AC.

It sounds like this is being held by GPH themselves? Anyone confirm?

It's a great idea to promote development!

Last edited by a moderator:
JaqMs posted on May 28 2006 at 09:22 PM said:
How about let's hope NOT. Depending on how long the contest will last, I'd expect a first-place game/application to be somewhere in between GBA and PSP quality. This contest would be such a waste if everyone were to submit mediocre entries, like an emulator.
So emulation is mediocre now? :blink: What would be one of these GBA/PSP-quality applications you're talking about (games aside)?

gaterooze posted on May 29 2006 at 03:48 AM said:
Neo Child posted on May 28 2006 at 11:16 PM said:
But I was just wondering, what is the "Full-Set" you speak of?

Probably a GP2X + carry case + TV-Out + AC.

It sounds like this is being held by GPH themselves? Anyone confirm?

Confirmed :)

More infos and a very own page about the contest (need to design one ;)) soon :)

Last edited:
So emulation is mediocre now? blink.gif What would be one of these GBA/PSP-quality applications you're talking about (games aside)?

Don't be so critical, I was just restating the title of the topic.

Would an emulator REALLY be worth $5000? Or even $1000 to say the least? Sure emulators are great to have, but do they provide anything UNIQUE or inspiring for the GP2X. This contest would be such a waste and a fault on GPH's part if all the entries are like typical releases that people upload to GP32X. A first place game should be of at least Payback quality.

I'm very interested in entering this contest; but I do wonder how much time will be alotted and what degree of completeness a game entered would require. If it's not too long a period of time, and a quality demo would suffice, we'd probably be able to release a demo of Stargazer within a reasonable timeframe.

I do see why an emulator should probably not recieve first place-- shouldn't the GP2X be regarded as an independent platform like the GBA or a classic gaming system, rather than just a vehicle for other systems' games to be run? It's a terrible underappreciation of the true muscle and capability in the GP2X hardware.

JaqMs posted on May 28 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
So emulation is mediocre now? blink.gif What would be one of these GBA/PSP-quality applications you're talking about (games aside)?

Would an emulator REALLY be worth $5000? Or even $1000 to say the least? Sure emulators are great to have, but do they provide anything UNIQUE or inspiring for the GP2X. This contest would be such a waste and a fault on GPH's part if all the entries are like typical releases that people upload to GP32X. A first place game should be of at least Payback quality.
IMO, an perfect emulator is worth a LOT more than just some old homebrew game, simply because with an emulator you get hordes of individual games that would be worthy alone of winning 1st place in this contest. Though, keep in mind, I'm talking about something revolutionary, like a full speed w/ sound PS1 emulator or something. I've never even heard of Epicenter's Stargazer until now, but I can already tell you that I'd rather have a full speed playstation emulator than it simply due to the top quality games that would be available (No offense to Epicenter, I'm just trying to make a point and your game was right there :) ) Just how I feel (Don't want to start a flame war here :) )

JaqMs posted on May 29 2006 at 03:05 AM said:

look at it this way. if a GBA emu were to win, its just like GPH paying someone to make a GBA emulator. which in turn would probably make a lot more people buy one, increasing sales? wheras a homebrew game, no matter how kick-ass cool it is, wouldnt really bring in the massess would it?

im just looking at it from a money-for-gph point of view

http://digg.com/gaming/GP2X_Coding_Competi...0_up_for_grabs_

(yeah, realised i was $500 short, but i fixed it but link is still the same)

DIGG IT!

"Just some old homebrew game" are the entries that I hope wouldn't end up being submitted to the contest in large amounts. Plus, something that homebrew gives that emulators don't is characteristic. Homebrew is needed to set the GP2X apart from handhelds like the PSP. Won't the PSP also be able to emulate the GBA and PSX sometime? So then most people looking for those emulators will turn to the PSP instead of the GP2X since the PSP is conveniently in stores. But if there is a killer homebrew game(s) that is appealing to someone, they will have a reason to turn to the GP2X.

And you see how the announcement says "teams." That indirectly means that the entries shouldn't look like they were made by one person.

Back