Gp2x Demo Competition: 750$ prize money

For my demo (Creep Tea)
1) Are the files lowercase and in the same dir as the demo? (As it's in the archive I guess)
2) Have you reset and tried again?
3) Do you see only black screen or is there a loading screen (with title/credits/few word) for few seconds and then the black screen? (Because the loading/precalculations begins after this introductory screen. I want to see if it crashes even before that, then it's an SDL problem else a problem of not finding the files.)
4) Have you install the SDL libs from here? Ok, I statically link the SDL libs, so normally this step wouldn't be necessary, but I just want to be sure or figure out what is happening?
5) Oh, and don't run code alone before running my demo. Reset and run! (I was the unlucky one, my demo being the next dir to code alone :p)

Optimus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 11:17 AM said:
5) Oh, and don't run code alone before running my demo. Reset and run! (I was the unlucky one, my demo being the next dir to code alone :p)

:( Sory guys. Back in the time when I was used to code demos, it was customary to reboot the computer after having run a demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
rixed posted on Aug 3 2006 at 09:54 PM said:
:( Sory guys. Back in the time when I was used to code demos, it was customary to reboot the computer after having run a demo.

Heh, well the demo is worth it...Nice touch making us think that it didnt work,
then starting playing around with a screenshot of the menu :p

-Twixn-

Twixn posted on Aug 3 2006 at 02:12 PM said:
Nice touch making us think that it didnt work,
then starting playing around with a screenshot of the menu :p

As I wanted to keep demo's size to minimum, I didn't wanted to carry along big textures.
Grabing the menu was a way to have a free high-res texture :)

Moderators:

I belive you can unsticky this thread, thanks for leaving the contest so visible for so long. I will post the results in a separate News posting once the judges have finished their deliberations.

I'm not trying to discourage discussion, far from it! But the stickiness has served its purpose.

I would suggest that the thread announcing the community game contest become sticky in place of this one.

Good work, guys! They all look really good!

(I tried to make a demo for this, but I couldn't get it to work out properly, I guess I need to work on my coding skills. I was trying to do some fractal stuff.)

Wite_Noiz posted on Aug 2 2006 at 07:33 PM said:
Are any of the entrants planing on releasing the code to their demoes? I'd be interested in seeing some of the implementations

I'll release mine, but I need to make sure the apps I created to make some of the data are ok. IE A font tool and a image palatiser/compressor. Both are prototypes of apps I was writing for my 3d engine.

Optimus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 02:43 PM said:
I've just added my demo and it's source code on the gp32x file archive:
http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,38,1699
Maybe someone can compile it and try it in his GP2X if he had problems, I can't decide what's going on with the black screen, esp. if I don't have the hardware to test it..
In my opinion, the black screen is just caused by people trying to run your demo after Code Alone.

In my opinion, the black screen is just caused by people trying to run your demo after Code Alone.

I hope it is so, so that I don't try to debug without a reason. Code alone makes my demo slow, but maybe it also produces diferrent results like a black screen once in five times? That's one possible explanation I thought for a while, but (almost) noone here said "Uh sorry, I run that demo before code alone, now it works after a reset". I wouldn't like to search with a reason for such a thing, so I'll stop here and let them speak :p

Optimus posted on Aug 3 2006 at 10:17 PM said:

I hope it is so, so that I don't try to debug without a reason. Code alone makes my demo slow, but maybe it also produces diferrent results like a black screen once in five times? That's one possible explanation I thought for a while, but (almost) noone here said "Uh sorry, I run that demo before code alone, now it works after a reset". I wouldn't like to search with a reason for such a thing, so I'll stop here and let them speak :p

Just worked for me now, odd. I did try a fresh boot last time. Nice demo, cool. :)

Note that the judges are not having difficulty running any entries and are not particularly concerned about side effects that one demo might have on another, so any scoring will not be impacted by such issues.

Dzz posted on Aug 3 2006 at 04:33 PM said:
Note that the judges are not having difficulty running any entries and are not particularly concerned about side effects that one demo might have on another, so any scoring will not be impacted by such issues.

I wish this was not the case. IMHO an entry that leaves the gp2x in a state other than it started in should be disqualified, unless theres a seperate category for 'anything goes' that doesnt even have to do the basics like running the menu or not crashing.

PS: 'anything goes' makes a lot more stuff possible in a 1k demo

Sparr posted on Aug 3 2006 at 04:48 PM said:
Dzz posted on Aug 3 2006 at 04:33 PM said:
I wish this was not the case. IMHO an entry that leaves the gp2x in a state other than it started in should be disqualified,
That's probably a good idea and if I do the contest next year I will add it to the rules.

For this contest the rules did not state such as a criterion for disqualification.

I know we are getting a bit hung up on the demos effect the systems after they exit but i'll just like to know if anyone has had any probs with mine? Just asking as I did not do anything special to make sure it all exit clean, just used the code Dzz had posted in he's tut. I'm asking as I would like to try to get that voxel in 1k.

I ran all of the demos, one after the other, without restarting my GP2X and they were all fine.

I ran them all from a share and was watching the debug info and i would guess you covered the issue in this part of your reply

4) Have you install the SDL libs from here? Ok, I statically link the SDL libs, so normally this step wouldn't be necessary, but I just want to be sure or figure out what is happening?

because that was the error i saw (new 2x so took it for granted i had installed the libs etc)

hi, just wanted to say mkII here (4 days old) every demo works fine after reset. copied and pasted whole folder with demos into sd card.

some really nice stuff here!

thanx!

I have just seen the results, and I note that every thing can arrive in this world :)
Creep tea at the first place, let me laugh, is it the contest of the best friends ?:s

the next time I 'll make a stupid sdl port and everybody will be happy :D :D

Can we see the vote detail?

Back