Gp2x.com Official English Firmware Howto/changes

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
This is on the gp2x.com english page.
Cautions before updating

1) FW 2.0.0 should exist on GP2X. If not, upgrade to FW2.0.0 before updating to FW2.1.0
2) Be careful not to change names of firmware files.[cut]

2. How to upgrade firmware

1) Put 3 files(kernel.img, gp2xupdate.gpu, gp2xpatch-2.1.0T.tar.gz) in root(uppermost) folder of SD card.

2) Turn off power of GP2X and then insert SD card.

3) While pressing START button and SELECT button at the same time, turn on GP2X; and keep pressing them until image of Firmware upgrading appears.

4) When kernel is normally updated, logo with green background shall change into 2.1.0 T Test Version.

5) As soon as booted, patch shall be updated automatically. Note: depending on existing version of firmware, selection screen of whether updating patch or not may appear.

6) If patch is not updated automatically, go to Utility and execute gp2xupdate.gpu file in SD.

7) When all patches are updated, you can check version number of installed firmware in Setting Info. The doc is written based on 2.1.0 Test Ver..

3. Changes in ver 2.1.0

1) Eliminated flicking on MENU screen after booting

a) The flicking occured in the process of changing CPU clock from 200MHz to 100MHz in order to save electricity.

B) By removing the process of changing clock, flicking was eliminated.

2) Improved Movie Player

a) Playback of 120FPS(24/30FPS variable frame compatible) video which is frequently used in DVD animation etc become possible.

B) Solved the problem of asynchronized captions when continuous playback of video files posessing different FPS.

c) In case of bookmarking, playback starting point shall be a few seconds earlier to the bookmarked point (formerly it was a little later)

d) Eliminated freezing which rarely occurred during playback of large size file. According to our own test with AC adaptor, we made sure of 48 hours of repeated playback without stopping or freezing.

e) Solved the problem of discontinued image when restarting playback after pause in case of playback of XVID file.

f) In case of video image searching, the bar shall start from the current image. Formerly it started from bookmarkd point or the beginning.

g) You can set brightness and contrast. Setting shall be done in the MENU of Setting LCD.

3) Improved Music player

a) Solved the problem of stopping instead of playing next music in case of shuffle(random) playback when only one playable file exists in the folder.

B) When file contains ID3(comment in case of OGG) information, you can choose whether to indicate or not according to ID3 TAG On/Off options.

d) Repeating method was changed: When <repeat> is not selected, all the files in the folder shall be played back in turn.

When <repeat> is selected, only the current music shall be repeated.

4) E-book reader

a) Bookmarks were increased from existing 5 to 25 bookmarks.

B) Extended the limit of file size to be read by revising limit of lines. Our own test showed that up to 4MB (170,000 lines) could be read.

c) When moving pages with L, R buttons while pressing SELECT button, 1,000 lines shall be moved at a time so that you may easily reach the page you want to read.

5) Change of UI image format

a) UI image format was changed for the sake of skin change function which is scheduled in the next firmware.

Existing skins cannot be used in 2.1.0.

6) Addition of skin selector

a) If you put skin files for exclusive use in GP2X into skin folder in NAND, you can select and implement at Skin Setting in Setting System.[/cut]

They've cut/paste on the english page the guide for firmware test version :eek:)

Also, notice: "UI image format was changed for the sake of skin change function which is scheduled in the next firmware."

And they don't even talk of what is importent, modification to the SD code in the kernel :D

paxl

thanks for the quick guide

updated has been completed!
only I got loading screen fw 2.0.0 not 2.1.0
I got some new features in the menu.

(I updated the firmware, serverial times, lucky when I was giving up the batteries were empty, what a luck!)

MiL0 posted on Oct 27 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
can someone host it somewhere else please?

i tried to register but there's a problem with the website when I hit submit. :(

It's on ED's archive ====>

Last edited by a moderator:
Firmware updates for the GP2X alaways consist of two elements. You only updated the apps, but not the kernel+bootloader which are updated at boot. (press selct+start after putting on the gp2x)

Pickle posted on Oct 27 2006 at 05:01 PM said:
a) The flicking occured in the process of changing CPU clock from 200MHz to 100MHz in order to save electricity.

Wait, does it mean that it stays at 200 MHz all the time now? If so isn't it retarded? Like, the remedy is worse than the harm?

maybe its just me not paying much attention to firmware 2.0 but any1 else noticed the nice dissolve transition into menus (much like vistas)

A_SN posted on Oct 28 2006 at 12:26 AM said:
Pickle posted on Oct 27 2006 at 05:01 PM said:

Wait, does it mean that it stays at 200 MHz all the time now? If so isn't it retarded? Like, the remedy is worse than the harm?

In Setting/System now there is "CPU Clock Adjust":
– This option reduces the CPU speed while in the GP2X menu. The speed is restored to its normal setting when starting other software.

Digitalrat posted on Oct 27 2006 at 10:37 PM said:
Firmware updates for the GP2X alaways consist of two elements. You only updated the apps, but not the kernel+bootloader which are updated at boot. (press selct+start after putting on the gp2x)
I tried that yesterday, and now I will continue I tried the second part about 6 times but no upgrade...
Only I got a screen Continue? patching yes or no ( but nothing changing)

OK, I changed my sd-card put the files on a 1 gb platinum/toshiba, and that works thanks!
btw I was using kingston 2 gb sd card (yeah that was on the list incompatible for firmware upgrades, but I had upgrade firmware 2.0.0 a while ago. :rolleyes:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 29 2006 at 10:08 AM said:
meh, I say!

Im happy with 2.0 for now. I'll keep it until there's reason for me to upgrade.

Who cares?

Shikaku posted on Oct 29 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 29 2006 at 11:08 AM said:
meh, I say!

Im happy with 2.0 for now. I'll keep it until there's reason for me to upgrade.

IT MAKES PROGRAMS FASTER AND READ THINGS FROM THE SD FASTER (ESPECIALLY GNGEO2X).

I just updated mine today, good firmware upgrade :D , if Gamepark keep improving at the rate they are, then who knows what this handheld has in store in the future? I would love to see more compatibility on the video side of things. Also it would be cool to be able to play MP3's then minimise the player whilst running homebrew. Hopefully these two things will be added in a future update, here's hoping :p

Back