Gp2psx V0.33

Its payday for me tomorrow im going to donate some money, i think its about time i did, cant wait for the next release zod the god lol

ruffnutts out :)

Work is being done on the GPU and timings of the PSX. I have some ARM assembly code for the GPU now, but a completely custom made GPU might be coming. ;)

I'm pretty sure 15-20 FPS without frameskip will be surpassed, since I'm able to get 10 FPS or so with some 3D games with v0.34 which is in the works.

So good stuff to come!

Btw, I fixed the bug that happens with Ridge Racer and Azure Dreams, etc.., where the vertical placement of the screen is off and it wraps around. :)

Keep an eye out for some good releases coming soon.

wow..surpass 20fps without frameskip...so we could be looking at 35-40 fps with frameskip 1-2? holy crap :)

i really wish i wasnt in debt over a laptop ...few more months and it will be paid for..then i think a few devs will be getting 50 bucks from me o_o

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya everyone,

Over the weekend I bought a copy of Red Alert, today I transfered it over to my GP2X and its actually playable. My first try at compressing it without sound and video didnt work as it just crashed on the opening screen, I then compressed it with normal compression on pocketiso with all the videos/music included (about 570 meg). Booted it up and hey presto, Ive now gone through three missions on the Allied disk.

Zodttd, your amazing for producing this emulator, donation coming your way in a couple of ways.

A very happy Chris :)

i tried the new version, 33b, and RE2 runs much faster than the previous versions, but the Framerate still says 2? but its much faster...

My first try at compressing it without sound and video didnt work as it just crashed on the opening screen...
This may be because you didn't replace the sound and video files with blank ones. It'll crash otherwise.

Also: 15-20FPS, 0 frameskip? I admire what you've done with this hardware zodttd, I really do. And there were people saying "Yeah, we can get PSX... about 2 fps! Hahahahaha!"

You rock, entirely.

It seems my current framerate counter isn't as exact as I thought. I too noticed 33b is much faster but the framerate appears as 2, when it's no way going that slow. So I'll get that fixed. That could mean that the 5 FPS we see now might be faster than that. Regardless, the emulator should be seeing speed increases with the good work I'm getting from contributors.

Just to introduce you to some great coding help I'm getting...
- Unai is helping with the GPU. His work should speed up the bottlenecks within the current GPU. A new GPU is planned though. His past work includes Chankast's GPU core.
- AntiPasta is helping with converting some nasty C code into beautiful ARM assembly. He has plans to work on a dynamic recompiler for my PSX ports, which will speed up the overall emulator greatly.

Just saw the post by Emu&Co, that emulator looks perfect! I'll see what I can do. For now, things are going well with what I have though.

Wow seems I got the boards excited. I'll do my best. :)

you've really shaken up the scene zodttd :) if you can really accomplish over 20fps, this will surely be the killer app for the 2x

- Unai is helping with the GPU. His work should speed up the bottlenecks within the current GPU. A new GPU is planned though. His past work includes Chankast's GPU core.

Random question, but I'm curious as to what happened to Chankast... I understand why it hasn't been updated, I'm just wondering why at least the source wasn't released?

"Just saw the post by Emu&Co, that emulator looks perfect! I'll see what I can do. For now, things are going well with what I have though."

I was helpful, I was helpful. :D :Happy like a child getting a lollipop:

Random question, but I'm curious as to what happened to Chankast... I understand why it hasn't been updated, I'm just wondering why at least the source wasn't released?
I, too, would like to see a source release of Chankast. I heard it was very good and I'd like to see it ported to Linux.

Wow, Red Alert already playable! That would be awesome on handheld...

The GP2X scene is just amazing...

Wow oh wow! OC' my gp2x to 266 ran 33b with Ridgeracer R4. Turned off sound and music got an indicated 11fps ingame then tried v-rally champ edition same parameters and got ~15fps!! Can't get tony hawks 1 or 3 to work tho. boo! I'm totally blown away by the progress made keep up the good work Zodttd.
Donation defo on its way.

i was the one that tested it, paradox. I was testing it on version 0.32. It worked fullspeed overclocked 266 with hle and frameskip 5.
Edit: Right now im testing ff7 on version 0.33b.

Back