Gnuboy 1.0.3

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I have it running on the wiz with controls so far. Speed is fine, sound is ok.
The biggest missing features are a frontend and scaling. There is built-in scaling but 2x exceeds 320x240.

The best choice for the frontend would lemonboy, but the source was never made public.
Any ideas/suggestions?

The biggest missing features are a frontend and scaling. There is built-in scaling but 2x exceeds 320x240.

The best choice for the frontend would lemonboy, but the source was never made public.
Any ideas/suggestions?
Hopefully someone can come along and code a frontend. I'm sure nobody would mind having an extremely basic menu (ala gpSP) So what, it runs from a terminal command?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle, the source of lemonboy was always public, as well as my contact address :) The source is in the src.zip file that is included in any distribution of Lemonboy. I love the GPL, so I try to respect it as much as I can :)

Anyway, the current Gp2x version of Lemonboy is hardly portable because it depends a lot on the minilib. During the last weeks I was working on an enhanced version of Lemonboy: much more portable (Gp2x, Wiz and Pandora) and it has now directories and super gameboy support. I have some problems with the super gameboy palettes that I wanted to solve before publishing a new update and I do not own a Wiz. I can provide the source code of the new version to you to make a quick and dirt port to the Wiz.

If you are interested, please send a private message to me.

and it has now directories and super gameboy support. I have some problems with the super gameboy palettes that I wanted to solve before publishing a new update and I do not own a Wiz. I can provide the source code of the new version to you to make a quick and dirt port to the Wiz.

If you are interested, please send a private message to me.
Sorry I tried the only download link that I found but it didnt work. I will get in touch with you.

Just to clarify for future reference: there is not any download link for the source code, since it is included with Lemonboy. I have just downloaded Lemonboy from the archive and there it is: the src.zip file :D

Give me a minute and I'll send the new version of the code.

well I have got the source from juanwc and i have an initial version working.
Ive used the mame minlib source and converted enough to get working video and controls. Sound isnt working but im getting messages from the driver on the settings.
Theres no scaling yet as lemonboy does it with the gp2x hw. There also a nasty flicker with the border/fill-in gfx.
Menu works nice.
This is also with pretty much everything turned on double buffer, superboy, etc

Thanks Pickle, GNUBoy was great on my GP2X, hope this will be the same ways in my Wiz. ( with 150Mhz I suppose?)

Any ideas/suggestions?

Maybe contact Notaz for the scaling. He did one for the GBA emu and it looks decent for scaling.

frontend will be good if it does the basics. Lemonboy on my GP2X seems to have problems and doesn't show all of the ROMs for some reason. This would need to be corrected before Wiz use.

I think that you solved the glitches and controls issues. And about the sound... it is really buzzing in SDL (not minilib) but I was never worried because I thought that it is a "simple" problem (configuration? sync?)

Check sound.c and emu.c. In emu.c I commented out lots of lines (inside #ifndef GP2x) to enhance speed on Gp2x, and I pretty sure that some of them are related to the sound. You can check the original emu.c from gnuboy. Modifications in sound.c are more complex: the Gp2x uses a completely different version for sound than the original Gnuboy. Since it is K-teto's, I never understood that code and I just know that it works on Gp2x with minilib :) Maybe original sound.c works OK with the SDL version of lemonboy.

emonboy on my GP2X seems to have problems and doesn't show all of the ROMs for some reason. This would need to be corrected before Wiz use.
DaveC, it was you who reported that bug? I could never replicate that problem, you know, since all my roms are always shown in the menu. There is a limit of 1024 rom files that can be easily extended in gui/utils.h Anyway, it has now full subdirectory support, as you have asked several times :)

The wiz is getting closer, I have SDL sound working again. Ive been messing around with the format at little bit. The sound as it is is very noisy (same effect in original gnuboy). Ive gotten a better sounding result by increasing the buffer(and other things) to 16 bit signed, I need to mess with it a bit more.
I think the original problem may be that the existing code might be clipping the sound data at 8 bits.

to 16 bit signed, I need to mess with it a bit more.
I think the original problem may be that the existing code might be clipping the sound data at 8 bits.
So currently the only things it's missing is clean sound and stretching? Doesn't sound terrible. Keep up the good work, pickle =D If I had money to give you, I would give it to you. Sadly, I am penniless at this point.

Back