Gngeo2x 0.6.9 *update*

ok i tried metal slug 1. i can't even get the loading bars anymore. all i get is a cursor in the top left which flashes then goes back to the main screen. my script looks like this:

#/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gngeo
exec /mnt/sd/gngeo/gngeo.gpe roms/mslug.zip --sound

it is saved as mslug.gpu and the rom is mslug.zip. the bios i used is the same one that began to load metal slug 5. now it isn't doing anything. my batteries are full.

It sounds like it can't find the rom. If you're using that script, make sure you've got a folder at the top level of your SD card called gngeo with all the files in it, and that you've got your bios unzipped into the roms folder within the gngeo folder. Once you've sorted that out, make sure your mslug.zip is in the roms folder in the gngeo folder, and make sure that all the folder and file names are lower case.

Failing that, you've probably got a knackered rom.

i already made sure that was correct. 4 different games failed. is the bios 4 different .rom files? thats what i am using as of now and its not working obviously.

The bios I'm using at the moment consists of eleven files, it's the one from the current MAME set. Then again I'm not without problems of my own at the moment, so I'm probably not the finest benchmark for setting up Gngeo! :)

What? I've tried to enjoy their fighting games over the years, but they all fall somewhat short of the standards set by Capcom. It's not like I'm some kind of idiot who's played them for an hour once and then decided that they're crap either, I've put proper time into trying to learn to enjoy them (KOF2002 especially) but they're just not for me. But then, I do regularly attend Street Fighter 3 tournaments, so I am a little biased afterall!

I also happen to own a Neo Geo MVS as well, so I'm probably better placed to comment on it than many people.

Didn't say anything :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this emulator runs great!!!

The main reason for this over mame is it is specialized, so its games will most likely work better with less effort.

Money Idol Exchange runs flawless with sound off at the default speed.

For those who haven't figured it out yet, Neogeo MVS is the arcade machine, so you need mame roms and the neogeo mame bios, not the home console ones.

ive tried several different bios and i still am not having any luck. any other ideas? or i will just have to wait i guess until a later release. its probably some small thing that i am missing.

edit: sorry. i didnt see the post above mine. i'll try that real quick.
*tried the mame versions also. no luck.

but the samurai shodown games already runs with the mame emulator o.0
why do you want they here too? :p

And, btw, does the big games like metal slug 5 will NEVER run?

If my theory that we could unpack the roms to the SD card and use it like virtual memory for the gp2x (like windows does when it doesn't have enough memory with swap space) then it's possible. However, I have no idea if this is possible or how you would implement it.

Allan.

No, metal slug has graphic corruption, metal slug 2 crashes (presumably too big?).

Metal slug 1 & 2 work well with the neo geo cd emulator with music.

For those who haven't figured it out yet, Neogeo MVS is the arcade machine, so you need mame roms and the neogeo mame bios, not the home console ones.

No, you don't. The roms were pretty much identical for the AES and the MVS. In fact, for the Linux version of Gngeo you can switch it to load up as an AES instead of the MVS and load the exact same roms. You get a few minor differences in the rom loading it in the two separate system (for example, starting it as AES means you can't insert coins, but you get access to a game's Options menu) but it's still fundamentally the same. The AES and the MVS are mostly identical under the hood, so why would their roms be different?

If my theory that we could unpack the roms to the SD card and use it like virtual memory for the gp2x (like windows does when it doesn't have enough memory with swap space) then it's possible. However, I have no idea if this is possible or how you would implement it.

Allan.

A better idea would be something like what's being done for the DC MVS emu. The roms are supposed to be mapped out ahead of time so that the emu knows what data is required at what times, then it can load different parts of the rom into memory as they're needed. Then we don't need to do things like swap, which would be very slow with an SD card and would also wear it out much quicker.

Wow, Breakers Revenge plays great overclocked to 250mhz with sound :D

A better idea would be something like what's being done for the DC MVS emu. The roms are supposed to be mapped out ahead of time so that the emu knows what data is required at what times, then it can load different parts of the rom into memory as they're needed. Then we don't need to do things like swap, which would be very slow with an SD card and would also wear it out much quicker.

And since Chui is one of the guys who came up with MMU and has posted interest in the GP2X, hopefully we'll see it soon and maybe it can be applied to other emulators.

I finally got gngeo working, it was my bios. Had to use the latest from the current Mame set. So when you guys are running the scripts and it kicks back to the menu, check your bios. I tried 2020 Baseball, Fatal Fury 3 , Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, Savage Reign and they run full speed w/o sound at 200mhz.

Allan.

Actually, the code to do this is almost here, and it seems to work.
it's actualy very simple: if there is not enough memory for the gfx rom (the bigger one), then gngeo try to mmap a gfx dump file.

There is two problem for now:
- I have to write a simple tools that dump all the gfx of a rom to a file. Without that, it's unuseful.
- Sd card read speed is a bottleneck -> For ex, I got wakuwaku7 to work, but the emulation "freeze" every 3/4 sec, due to sd access.

" There is two problem for now:
- I have to write a simple tools that dump all the gfx of a rom to a file. Without that, it's unuseful.
- Sd card read speed is a bottleneck -> For ex, I got wakuwaku7 to work, but the emulation "freeze" every 3/4 sec, due to sd access."

You could try the faster SD cards (150x?) It has been discussed before if GP2X can handle them, but I dont think anyone has tested them.

Anyway, nice work on the emu!

I will try when I get home, I have a 150x card that may help it out.

pepone: When will your current working version be available to try out? I'd like to try WW7 as well to see if faster SD cards=playable game.

At any rate, this is looking promising, and I'm looking forward to the end product.

For those who haven't figured it out yet,  Neogeo MVS is the arcade machine, so you need mame roms and the neogeo mame bios, not the home console ones.

No, you don't. The roms were pretty much identical for the AES and the MVS. In fact, for the Linux version of Gngeo you can switch it to load up as an AES instead of the MVS and load the exact same roms. You get a few minor differences in the rom loading it in the two separate system (for example, starting it as AES means you can't insert coins, but you get access to a game's Options menu) but it's still fundamentally the same. The AES and the MVS are mostly identical under the hood, so why would their roms be different?

Allan.

mth411 & ravnos - Actually, the ROMs are *exactly* the same. The AES or MVS BIOS chip is what decides what options are available. This is why MVS-AES cart conversions are possible. Since it's an MVS emulator, the UniBIOS should work with it.

here's something from the readme
"The UNIVERSE BIOS is for owners of MVS or AES hardware that want an easy way to change country region or between Arcade or Console mode on boot. Also included are other features that are not normally possible using the standard MVS bios."

Edit: And for the record, I own an MVS 6-Slot board and 78 actual cartridges. You just can't make something that big portable no matter how hard you try.

I will try when I get home, I have a 150x card that may help it out.

pepone: When will your current working version be available to try out? I'd like to try WW7 as well to see if faster SD cards=playable game.

At any rate, this is looking promising, and I'm looking forward to the end product.

Actually, the present version have the support enabled.
but you need a "gfx dump file" (here wakuwak7.gfx). For now I create this file with a ugly hacked gngeo version under linux (x86 here). I can make a quick release of this hack, but you'll need a PC under linux.

In the near future, I'll write a simple portable tool to create that dump.

Back