Release glhack

NearTao

Website
www.neartao.com
YOUTUBE
UCD2urNmxTgZBdfCSWYyovCw
After fighting with the source code, PND system and a few other things... I am happy to fulfill a long standing port request for glhack :p

You can grab it here:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=glhack

The original source can be found here:

http://glhack.sourceforge.net

If you're a rogue like or nethack fan then this should be right up your alley.

A few notes:

appdata/glhack contains all of the files for saving, logs, records and such under a var directory.  I decided to leave it inside the appdata structure but similar to how it would be installed on a real system.  Probably caused myself more of a headache than it was worth, but you should be able to toss save games in there, bones files, record files and such if you feel up to it.

In the appdata/glhack folder you'll find .glhackrc, use this to configure your standard settings.  I pre-configured it a bit just to show what can be done and to give some sane defaults so it is still readable.  Also please note, it's set to use SDL right now, technically you can change this to GL, but I didn't compile with the GL->GLES renderer since the speed seemed fast enough as is without it.  So don't try GL.

If you experience any issues feel free to post here or PM me and I'll try and look into it.

Awesome, I'll definitely give this a go!

Out of interest, why does nethack need GL? I've not played it, only a bit of Angband and DF, and they ran fine in a terminal as I recall using ncurses.

It doesn't need GL, just 10 years ago I think somebody was playing around with GL.  Basically this just gives tile dressing to the front end.  I happened to notice this in the port request thread and figured I'd give it a go.

I'm pretty sure we have a text version of the game in the repo... though we're probably missing sporkhack and all the other newer variants that ought to be ported :)

Hi :)

I'm sorry to report it  doesn't work:

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( ./glhack.sh  ) ----------
/mnt/utmp/glhack/usr/lib/games/glhack/glhack: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[ FAILED]--- Starting the application ( ./glhack.sh  ) ----------
Cheers, Magic Sam

EDIT: SuperZaxxon 1.60 ships with libpng12, I guess you'll have to bundle this lib with your pnd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried this too and it didn't work for me either. I didn't investigate, thought it might have been an issue with the fact I'm running the latest beta graphic driver. On an unrelated note, I've noticed a few games don't run under that driver including Forget Me Not

@ stouffa: the missing lib is the only culprit here IMHO :) I have compiled libpng14 on the Pandora, modified LD_LIBRARY_PATH in glhack.sh from inside the PND, and the game worked just fine.

Magic Sam

I'll update the pnd file asap...

Edit: updated.  I swore I tested without codeblocks mounted, but it turns out I must not have.

Should be much happier now.

Thanks for porting this. I used to play this a lot before I got my Pandora but had to switch to other roguelikes since this wasn't available on Pandora. I've just started playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup so I won't probably be playing this for a while but maybe I'll come back to this later.

By the way, if anyone else thinks the default tiles are too big for the small screen, you can change tile_height to 16 in the config file (.glhackrc) so that you can see a bigger part of the level at once.

I tried downloading this twice using PNDmanager. Both times the progress bar got to the full 2,14MiB, but after that the download did not complete. Game did not appear in menu.

Hi,

Silly question: could this game be compo4all compatible ? I mean, could we all share the same scores, bones files, etc ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Scores possibly... But since saves are offline it would be open for cheating. Hearse used to exist for shared bones. I can certainly investigate if it still exists and integrate sharing of bones as an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That would be hearse... Used to use it years ago and it does make things far more interesting... I remember pulling a bones file that had four or five archons on the fifth level... Doh!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I've done a few runs to try and get a bones file with no success yet... if anybody gets one please PM it to me and I'll see what I can do to get hearse integration added.  If I get one I'll post here that it is unnecessary :p

I made a real minor tweak to the load script so that it will always ask for the Character Name on loading the game, this way if you want to have multiple characters running at the same time you are able.

I've been working on a few other ports, but don't worry if you're still interested in hearse integration... I'm still trying to see if I can generate a bones file so I can analyze it and figure out which group we can play with.

Back