Release NetHack (native port)

lunixbochs

Staff member
I got NetHack to compile/run natively.

This includes a keymap to assign the dpad to hjkl movement . This keymap exists in /pandora/appdata/nethack/share/keymap for your editing pleasure. Keymap suggestions to improve the pandora experience are encouraged. We could probably figure out better mappings for the abxy and trigger keys.

If it works initially but you run into problems starting it later, you can usually delete /pandora/appdata/nethack/share to reset things. Let me know if you do run into any errors during startup so I can improve the launcher.

http://repo.openpand...ail&app=nethack

Credits to the port attempt by joseluisjazz for the screenshot and icon.

Not tried yet, but downloading now. Can I use tiles with this version?

D.

There was a more "graphical" version of this game once for the GP2X:

http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,26,1627

I never played such a game before so I tried it the first time on the GP2X. But I failed completely. I never made it longer than some minutes to survive and it was shocking to discover that you always have to start from zero, no rebirth after death, no keeping of items or anything. And no tutorials, no hints wahat#s actualy to do, or easy start at all. This game really comes from an dark and brutal age in Computer history. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll probably have a graphical version (basically the same game with tiles) soon, as I've been improving my dev/build environment.

Don't forget this one comes with a guidebook in XCFE's help menu or somewhere in minimenu. You can also press ? and look around for more help. You don't need to be 100% lost :) Also imagine needing to play using HJKL instead of the d-pad if this didn't remap the keys.

Once: I read that thread several times and got the DosBox one running. You can thank your thread and The Binding of Isaac for making me want to port it :)

Can you bear in mind then when you port that we should be able to supply our own tiles in appdata? Also, for both versions we need to be able to change the configuration file, so that will need to be overridden if a version exists in appdata also. It would generally be a good idea to store the config in appdata anyway.

D.

Yep, I've already made the decision that anything in my ports the user might *want* to change (keybindings, config, etc) will be copied to appdata so the user can edit them as they please without needing to recompile a pnd.

When you run my launcher script, it runs through a list of files (keybind, config, etc) and copies them to appdata if they don't exist (so you'll at least get the default settings), then runs the game with those pointed at appdata/game/ instead of apps/game/

I want to go out of my way to make my ports as clean and usable as possible - I plan to ship all applicable ports with editable keybinds, configs, and anything that makes sense.

I'm porting games for myself to actually play, and I'm playing them during the porting process, so I get a pretty good feel for usability and what can be changed specific to the pandora.

So yes, you'll be able to edit your nethackrc, keybindings, and tiles as you wish :)

Yep, I've already made the decision that anything in my ports the user might *want* to change (keybindings, config, etc) will be copied to appdata so the user can edit them as they please without needing to recompile a pnd.

When you run my launcher script, it runs through a list of files (keybind, config, etc) and copies them to appdata if they don't exist (so you'll at least get the default settings), then runs the game with those pointed at appdata/game/ instead of apps/game/

I want to go out of my way to make my ports as clean and usable as possible - I plan to ship all applicable ports with editable keybinds, configs, and anything that makes sense.

I'm porting games for myself to actually play, and I'm playing them during the porting process, so I get a pretty good feel for usability and what can be changed specific to the pandora.

So yes, you'll be able to edit your nethackrc, keybindings, and tiles as you wish :)

Excellent! Does your current port do this? I have nothing much barring the keybindings in my appdata directory.

D.

Excellent! Does your current port do this? I have nothing much barring the keybindings in my appdata directory.

D.
nope, that's part of the new launcher. I was waiting to release until I got tiles working (tiles are the reason I was adding config file support). I can probably sneak a quick PND up shortly with userland config but no tiles (after I test it), because that's the current state.

I'll wait for tile, thanks ;-)

I used to play hack 1.03e when I was a younger man, and having spent so long in ascii land I prefer tiles these days...

D.

What version of Nethack did you port? I'm curious because of that keymap file. Usually Nethack doesn't support any sort of keybinding. Did you change the source code?

Hack is such a hard game - but when I got my Pandora I immediately got a copy of Powder and that is also pretty hard but also pretty similar. I seem to remember that Hack has more variation to it, is that right? oh and Powder has graphical tiles.

Back