New user with some questions

mongrol

Hi folks,

I was lucky enough to score a rebirth off ebay for reasonably cheap. I've spent the evening playing with it and have some problems.

1) I have an sdcard, made the required folders and popped some pnd's on there. Most of them show up in the menus except PNDManager and glhack. Some digging in the minimenu options shows the name of these as "Unknown". I assume thats why they aren't showing up. Package bug?

2) My nubs are wonky. This was stated when I bought it and appears to be a hardware issue. Anything I can do?

3) Most of the games I've downloaded start then return back to minimenu. Some, UrQuan, GTA/qemu work ok. Is this a mem thing? Any debug, logging anywhere to troubleshoot? (Really want to get MyPaint working)

First question first: Have you updated the OS/firmware? That is always a good start.

Is this a mem thing? Any debug, logging anywhere to troubleshoot? (Really want to get MyPaint working)
I suggest to use the xfce desktop for debugging, It makes things easier if you can use a terminal window you can move around or just start a second one > you can use pnd_run path/to/your/pnd to start a pnd and directly get the output.
pndrun creates an outfile for every pnd that is started in \tmp (which are lost after a restart)

Don't just update, reflash, the previous owner may have installed some stuff or accidentally corrupted some files on the firmware. It's easier to debug from a clean slate. Most recent packages are here. Then run an update from the menu.

For the PND problems, there are log files created under /tmp directory. Post the contents of one of those and we'll see what we can figure out. It's possible the reflash will solve that problem though.

2) My nubs are wonky. This was stated when I bought it and appears to be a hardware issue. Anything I can do?
Try and be a little more specific.

What do you mean by 'wonky'?

Have you examined the outputs from the nubs in the input tester?

Are both nubs equally problematic?

My older download of Mypaint stopped working. Making sure I had the most recent pnd and most recent firmware made it work perfectly. (Perhaps better than before)

try to move to nubs around in all directions (not too fast, and with a bit of pressure on the nubs) since they are 'autocalibrating,'

Thanks everyone,

It turns out it was still running Zaxxon hotfix 5. I've since updated to SZ1.60 on SDcard and all games are now working. The whole box is much faster in general. Quite surprised. The left nub now appears to be working fine but the right one will only go diagonally down and left no matter what I do. I don't mind, for $120AUD I have a fun little box. :)

Thanks everyone,

It turns out it was still running Zaxxon hotfix 5. I've since updated to SZ1.60 on SDcard and all games are now working. The whole box is much faster in general. Quite surprised. The left nub now appears to be working fine but the right one will only go diagonally down and left no matter what I do. I don't mind, for $120AUD I have a fun little box. :)
 in that case you might be interested in the pnd ABMouse on the repo (turns A&B into mouse buttons) - its a bit tricky though that for most emulators and a lot of games you have to turn it off again :unsure:

Back