Scummvm For The Gp2x

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
For what it is worth more info can be found @ http://www.distant-earth.com/scummvm/2006/...-release-7.html.

Most major changes are better support for the scalar (Best used with Broken Sword 1 and 2, Monkey Island 3 is just far to slow right now), button mapping tweaks and some big code changes here and there.

Check the site and readme for more information and full release notes.

Credits:

Considering how much of a pain bullying the scalar and other bits of the hardware into shape has been the following people deserve huge amounts of praise on the GP2X side wink.gif.

Paeryn
Squidge
Rlyeh
Rob Brown
A lot of the #GP2XDev crowd

I really want to try this but most of the scumm games don't interest me. I want Broken Sword but I can't find an english version anywhere.

Well, DotT works great. I have Monkey island 1-3 to test also.

Only problem is that when going left or right, then diagonal quckly, the controller stops, and pauses in place, until you repush a directon. It works 4way, but 4way to 8 way does this glitch. Overall, amazing port :D

sand_man posted on Feb 14 2006 at 08:09 AM said:
I really want to try this but most of the scumm games don't interest me. I want Broken Sword but I can't find an english version anywhere.

Hmmm, well BS1 can be bought new for about £3 (or £5 for 1 and 2 in a double pack) so you should find a copy easily enough.

PSyMastR posted on Feb 14 2006 at 08:23 AM said:
Well, DotT works great. I have Monkey island 1-3 to test also.

Only problem is that when going left or right, then diagonal quckly, the controller stops, and pauses in place, until you repush a directon. It works 4way, but 4way to 8 way does this glitch. Overall, amazing port :D

Odd, I will have a play with that as I can't reproduce the fault (but I can see in code how it could happen I think ;)).

Last edited by a moderator:
this version doesn't even run got me under 1.4.0 firmware (didn't test with another ver)

goes to black screen =(

Polymira posted on Feb 14 2006 at 09:47 AM said:
this version doesn't even run got me under 1.4.0 firmware (didn't test with another ver)

goes to black screen =(

And you checked the readme, made sure default-theme.zip was in the folder with the GPE and checked the zip was good (and copied it to the SD again to make sure nothing got screwed while putting it on the 2X)?

I tested the zip several times and found it fine and all my testing was under 1.2.1 and 1.4.0 and people have been runnning it fine on all the firmware versions AFAIK ;).

A great port, DJWillis! :)

I tried several games and they work perfectly, only Gobliiins have trouble with sound, it plays fine when a golbin is walking, but when nothing is happening, the sound is crackly. Any idea?

Since ScummVM using such a small amount of processor time to render each frame ( ;) ), is there a chance of filtered scaling in the future? I've not tried it, but it seems that if you convert your frame buffer to YUV, set the prescaler to 0, then you can use the post scaler to do filtered scaling. Wo0t :)

Any idea how much processing time ScummVM actually uses?

indole posted on Feb 14 2006 at 10:24 AM said:
Hey DJWillis!
Please send me the sorcecode!!! I've sent a pm before but never get a response.
best regards

Sorry, I don't check PM's on the board, drop me a mail and I will send you a patch. Any reason you want the code out of interest?

Squidge posted on Feb 14 2006 at 10:27 AM said:
Since ScummVM using such a small amount of processor time to render each frame ( ;) ), is there a chance of filtered scaling in the future? I've not tried it, but it seems that if you convert your frame buffer to YUV, set the prescaler to 0, then you can use the post scaler to do filtered scaling. Wo0t :)

Well SVM uses a lot of processing time, not benched it recently but I will have to try this. Thanks buddy.

DJWillis posted on Feb 14 2006 at 12:57 AM said:
Polymira posted on Feb 14 2006 at 09:47 AM said:

goes to black screen =(

And you checked the readme, made sure default-theme.zip was in the folder with the GPE and checked the zip was good (and copied it to the SD again to make sure nothing got screwed while putting it on the 2X)?

I tested the zip several times and found it fine and all my testing was under 1.2.1 and 1.4.0 and people have been runnning it fine on all the firmware versions AFAIK ;).

... yes, yes i did ... and no, still doesn't work, it does create the .scummvmrc, but it contains no data....

Squidge posted on Feb 14 2006 at 05:27 AM said:

wouldn't most of the games be filling the screen already at 1:1?

I'm getting the same as polymira, launch the gpe and it hangs on a black screen.
Tried everything you suggested, copied the files over, I even downloaded it again and unzipped it straight to the sd but the same result, black screen.

also running the 1.4.0 fw. if I get chance later I might drop back to 1.2.0 and see if that fixes the problem

p.s. really been enjoying your efforts on this so far DJWillis. Keep up the good work

try again, i got 1.4.0 and the first time i got the same problem but i restart and tryied again and work, dunno why.

Btw full throttle dont work, atleast spanish version

I have tried a few times, re-copied the files over, re downloaded the files, etc..

It just doesn't work ... serial output:

bash-2.05a# ./scummvm.gpe
SDL_SYS_JoystickInit
Using joystick: PEP Joy
WARNING: GP2X_mixer_set_volume is about to set 70 70!

...and nothing..

Ok Guys,

I will try and look into this a bit more. I can't reproduce the black screen on my GP2X's with vairous firmwares. I don't suppose anybody with serial and the problem can shed some light on this.

Gandalfjip, can you get the MD5 for the version you are trying to use (details on the SVM WiKi), is it detected at all and fails to run or just not found?

DJWillis posted on Feb 14 2006 at 04:26 AM said:
Ok Guys,

I will try and look into this a bit more. I can't reproduce the black screen on my GP2X's with vairous firmwares. I don't suppose anybody with serial and the problem can shed some light on this.

Gandalfjip, can you get the MD5 for the version you are trying to use (details on the SVM WiKi), is it detected at all and fails to run or just not found?

SDL_SYS_JoystickInit
Using joystick: PEP Joy
WARNING: GP2X_mixer_set_volume is about to set 70 70!

that is all

Back