Ginge

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
ok finally here it is:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/ginge/ginge_caanoo_r4.zip

Tested this on Payback, Cave Story, Wind and Water (free) and few other random things.

Note that for Cave Story it needs extracted version to work. If you give it normal version it will attempt to extract it and that will take something like 10min because card is mounted with sync option on Caanoo.
Payback needs the DRM-free version and also takes a couple of minutes to start (it uses gpecomp).

For controls, everything is mapped directly, I/II is Start/Select, and Caanoo's Home acts as Fn and makes I/II volume up/down. Home+Y tries to kill current app.

Oh, this is going to be great for the Caanoo! Thanks so much! I'm excited to get home from work and try this.

maplesugarlover said:
how much work was this ?
Porting to Caanoo from Pandora/Wiz version took almost a whole 8 hour day (with debug and testing). Wiz/Pandora version was started on February and finished in August (done along with other projects).

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome!
Can't wait for my Caanoo to get here to try this out!
(I've already got a folder of stuff pre-prepared once I found out that this exists)

notaz said:
maplesugarlover said:
how much work was this ?
Porting to Caanoo from Pandora/Wiz version took almost a whole 8 hour day (with debug and testing). Wiz/Pandora version was started on February and finished in August (done along with other projects).
Cool, any chance of a Pandora version update for easy method of turning off blur filter and maybe smoother scrolling (many things scroll kind of choppy)?

Fantastic, I can't wait to test this out. :D

Edit: I want to set this up on a per-application basis, is there a simple guide for doing this?
I know it can be done, launching cavestory.gpe instead of the F200 menu.

Edit: I think I found a hiccup, in F200's T-mode, the home button registers as "right" on the directional input.
Edit: Oh and the lock-switch inputs are diagonal up-right.

I have a small request if that's alright, can you compile a special version that swaps A/X, just for Cave Story?
Normally A=Jump and X=Shoot, I'd prefer that the other way around, just for this individual Ginge to load Cave Story.

Hell you could maybe upload a dedicated Ginge-Cavestory package onto the archive, if that's acceptable?

Sorry if I'm asking too much, I'm just really happy to be playing one of my absolute favourites on the Caanoo.

Works great Notaz thank you soooooo much do you have a donation page? I'm playing TG16 CD now with full sound and turbo buttons working. Cave Story and everything I've thrown at it works great!!!!!!! Now that this is working I should sell my WIZ :)

Thanks a lot Notaz!!! ;)
I did a quick test with seven GP2X games:
Camelot Warrior (OK);
Cave Story 1.04 (OK);
Drill2X xtreme (OK);
Knight Lore (OK);
Methane Brothers (OK);
Nebulus GP2X (doesn't work);
Tail Tale (doesn't work).

Great work notaz! :)

I'm trying to make a gpe to launch cave story without going through the 'gp2x menu'
Here is what I have at the moment:

Code:
/mnt/sd/emulator/ginge/ginge_prep /mnt/sd/game/gp2x/doukutsu/doukutsu.gpe

cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
exec ./gmenu2x

When I launch it says:

open ./doukutsu
some files need to be unpacked, this may take a few minutes.

and then launches the ginge gp2x menu. When executed through the gp2x menu cave story works great.

Not really sure what I'm doing incorrectly, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone?

DaveC said:
Cool, any chance of a Pandora version update for easy method of turning off blur filter and maybe smoother scrolling (many things scroll kind of choppy)?
Maybe someday. Would happen sooner if I could clone myself.

RupeeClock said:
Edit: I want to set this up on a per-application basis, is there a simple guide for doing this?
I know it can be done, launching cavestory.gpe instead of the F200 menu.
Not at the moment, but you can write custom script (see response to norm below)

RupeeClock said:
Edit: I think I found a hiccup, in F200's T-mode, the home button registers as "right" on the directional input.
Edit: Oh and the lock-switch inputs are diagonal up-right.
That's just gp2xmenu, I don't think I'm going to bother fixing it up.

RupeeClock said:
I have a small request if that's alright, can you compile a special version that swaps A/X, just for Cave Story?
Normally A=Jump and X=Shoot, I'd prefer that the other way around, just for this individual Ginge to load Cave Story.
If you use GP2X version of CS there is gp2x_buttons.txt file there where you can change this.

RupeeClock said:
Hell you could maybe upload a dedicated Ginge-Cavestory package onto the archive, if that's acceptable?
I don't think I have rights for this, I'm not the author of CS.

A r k said:
Anyway, thanks for testing out W&W and glad to know it works :)
If you ever compile another version, can you use some newer compiler toolchain? You will not only get better performance because of newer gcc, but also get rid of hard float instructions that are now emulated in kernel and cost thousands of cycles (newer toolchain uses software float directly, while old one emits floating point instructions when GP2X/Wiz has no FPU). I suggest using open2x toolchain:
http://wiki.open2x.org/open2x/wiki/index.php?title=Toolchain

norm said:
I'm trying to make a gpe to launch cave story without going through the 'gp2x menu'
Here is what I have at the moment:

Code:
/mnt/sd/emulator/ginge/ginge_prep /mnt/sd/game/gp2x/doukutsu/doukutsu.gpe

cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x
exec ./gmenu2x
You need to set correct working directory:
Code:
cd /mnt/sd/game/gp2x/doukutsu/
/mnt/sd/emulator/ginge/ginge_prep ./doukutsu.gpe

I see Ginge is out for Caanoo, I was wondering, what can this emulator emulate? Just games, or emulators as well?

you can start (almost) every application/game/emulator that was written for the gp2x and wiz with it.
it's like a layer in between that compiled binaries are thinking they're running the hardware they wre compiled for.
some apps have compatiblity problems, but lots will work just out of the box.

hope that makes any sense to you.

Back