Screen Issues (split from Do I need a new LCD cable?)

Matthewmongan

Still Fresh
I noticed a screen anomaly this afternoon. Is this also a cable issue? I had some minor ghosting about a month ago but it was still useable. Not so much anymore. 

9bf97130-4700-49d9-ba6b-e4c33116d174.jpeg

^ doesnt look like a PTOD.

Before getting any further, it might be a good idea to reflash before thinking that can be a hardware problem

I would love to reflash, however when I boot from the sd card I am greeted with a prompt that I can't read. 2fa5387c-b6b2-4534-8113-50e4d3ee05a5.jpeg

Well I don't think Firmware reflash  will help in this case...

Thanks shenmue. Trashymg, you are correct that flashing did not fix the problem. Now, do I need to replace the entire LCD or just the cable? I have no idea, the banding is not consistent with what others report with LCD cable failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
do the anomalies change at all when you move the hinge in different positions?

and if that's not it, to me it kinda looks like a clock signal is screwed up (although I have no clue).

Linux-SWAT, I'm in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. (the nicer part of it, not the part featured in HBO's "The Wire"). T.T., unfortunately the banding is persistent regardless of screen tilt, it does not change. 

Then my uneducated guess is the clock signal is screwed up somehow. and if it were completely broken you should have nothing on the screen, so it's either a bad connection (loose connector), or some part of the hardware that generates the clock signal is really screwed up. My solution would be to try and disconnect the LCD and reconnect it again.

(this is my uneducated guess though, take it with some salt)

I was able to pull it apart and disconnect and reconnect the cable and I still have banding. Not the hardest machine to work on (the 27 inch iMac is worse) but I did feel like a giant poking around the pandora's innards. The cable looks fine so I suspect the LCD is bad. 

And thanks again for everyone's help

Last edited by a moderator:
Back