Getting together for developing a Game?

Further GLBasic tests have provided better results (I got over 90 FPS on the Pandora with one proper scrolling layer (I nabbed the level 1 map from R-Type) and no background but with ship control), so I'm sure it's possible to get it at 60FPS with two layers. I won;t have a great deal of time for the next few days to work on this (especially since I have other projects on the go as well as real-life).

A PC port isnt affected by OpenGL, the only difference between GL and GLES is a few letters on end of commands here and there.

Yea for alpha processing, its a costly operation so the more pixels to process the more performance needed.

Its not the resolution of the image either but the size of the polygon compared to screen area. Also mayby we should try glOrtho for rendering, mayby that wont have problems with overlapping polygons?

Yea I just tested glOrtho, same problem there... Polygons cant overlap same space nomatter what or performance go down the drain quickly.

So guys is the main player character just a ship or a ship that transforms into a mech?either one works for me.im a big transformers fan.@ ekianjo and mjohannson i have messaged ye. Also can we chat on irc this week to discuss aspects of the game? Im completely commited to working with ye in making this game and am eager to get stuck into the story for this game.

So guys is the main player character just a ship or a ship that transforms into a mech?either one works for me.im a big transformers fan.@ ekianjo and mjohannson i have messaged ye. Also can we chat on irc this week to discuss aspects of the game? Im completely commited to working with ye in making this game and am eager to get stuck into the story for this game.

Hey, thanks but as mentioned the story is not the most urgent thing to do at this point. It's not like we are making a RPG or an adventure game, it's a shoot'em up and the story can be made up at any stage. It's not going to be central to the shoot'em up being a good game or not. So, not urgent, really.

We rather need gameplay ideas. Detailed ones. If you want to contribute, please focus on this for now.

Maybe a mech on ground/planet-based levels with one set of weapons, and a ship with a partially overlapping, different set of weapons in space?

Hey, thanks but as mentioned the story is not the most urgent thing to do at this point. It's not like we are making a RPG or an adventure game, it's a shoot'em up and the story can be made up at any stage. It's not going to be central to the shoot'em up being a good game or not. So, not urgent, really.

We rather need gameplay ideas. Detailed ones. If you want to contribute, please focus on this for now.
Hmmm.Ok.I certainly have lots of ideas.Is it a ship or a transforming mech? I think a transforming mech is the way to go.The choice of ship or ship/mecha will effect the gameplay ideas imo.Can we decide/discuss this? I have thought about putting more interaction with the envoirment in these types of games before.I think we could get some good ideas from the transforming aspect. Ever seen robot jox? The robots fist detaches and flies forward to strike his enemy in one scene.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vUxDmKFCD2o?feature=oembed

Further GLBasic tests have provided better results (I got over 90 FPS on the Pandora with one proper scrolling layer (I nabbed the level 1 map from R-Type) and no background but with ship control), so I'm sure it's possible to get it at 60FPS with two layers. I won;t have a great deal of time for the next few days to work on this (especially since I have other projects on the go as well as real-life).
Aww, I wish I would have coding talent. I would love to take the callenge to make a fluid Parallax scrolling engine that can take dozends of layers without performance loss, I really like Parallax Effects. :D

Ever seen robot jox?
sadly not but looks very nice, all these handmade Effects. :) Somehow this Movie never was shown in german (free) TV for whatever reason. Strange because the crapy "Robot Jox 2" was shown many times.

Maybe trying some "linescroll" Parallax BG layer without alpha or transparency at all and then some "middleground" transparent parallax layer and then the foreground? so you still only would have 2 layers with transparency but many Parallax layers. It depends of course how well everything is glued together graphic-wise. :)

Some good news regarding libdarnit: I got it up to 60 fps with the second cloud layer by implementing 16-bpp textures. Might be possible with libdarnit after all!

Darn !

Btw, may be not related, but the X server is 16bit anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys in the process of developing a game engine atm.? What about a mecha/robot as the central character. A hybrid game.1 part side scrolling shooter and 1 part platformer. The shooting levels could be seperate sections from the platform sections. The robot/mecha would not transform, though he could accquire visible enhancements in the form of /weapons etc.In the shooting sections the mecha would also have a dash punch: Thunderpunch?He could take out several enemies with this move. After performing this move the mecha sprite could ,A, return to his original position from where he moved or ,B, he could stay where he is after having dashed forward.The screen would scroll ahead a bit with the ,B,version of this move. The platform sections could be largely indoors.A little like switchblade 2 but more involving.These levels would be relatively short to begin with and would become longer and more challenging towards the end of the game.These sections should be enjoyable and not too hard at least until the end of the game.Im thinking that the mecha could have melee attacks and fight against other mechas and such.Perhaps he would have a laser sword or a charge blast.Im thinking weighty melee battles against mechs whilst navigating underground facilities etc.He could kick mechs off platforms to their doom etc.

Wrath, no, we're still waiting a design doc; but no, we're not doing both a shmup and a platformer... That's far to much work.

Cheers

Back