Geometry Wars Released For Pc

bhess

Website
Visit site
Well, apparently you can now buy Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved from MSN Games. However, it's only for Windows Vista, but I just so happened to upgrade the other day, and I just installed the trial version of the game. It dosent really fork with my dual analog PC gamepad, but it looks exactly like the 360 version and has functioning leaderboards and everything.

Who cares, Gridwars has been around for more than half a Year, is better, free, runs on XP and has no problems with any Gamepads.

Thanks for the news though.

Those buggers. The system requirements are low enough as to not warrant limiting the release to Vista. That could pretty much run on any machine produced within the last five years. They're just trying to get people to migrate to their non-essential update. :p

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) CPU
512MB RAM
DirectX 9.0c
DirectX Video Card (128MB memory, Shader Model 2.0 support required)
DirectSound-compatible sound card
150MB free HD space
WEI Rating: 4.0 (3.0 required)

Fishbong posted on Mar 8 2007 at 12:38 AM said:
Who cares, Gridwars has been around for more than half a Year, is better, free, runs on XP and has no problems with any Gamepads.

Yeah, and it's multi-platform. Win/Lin/Mac.

This is typical M$ behaviour. Then they have the nerve to wonder why they have such a PR problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a new office pack for Windows Vista only too, but there's a small patch you can apply to the installer to get it to install on XP. Once it's installed you don't need any patches, as it's fully XP compatible.

Go figure :)

LordFu posted on Mar 8 2007 at 02:58 PM said:
Fishbong posted on Mar 8 2007 at 12:38 AM said:

Yeah, and it's multi-platform. Win/Lin/Mac.

This is typical M$ behaviour. Then they have the nerve to wonder why they have such a PR problem.
Gridwars is good, but nowhere near competes with Geometry Wars.

sam fisher posted on Mar 9 2007 at 01:53 AM said:

Pfft. Gridwars is far more strategic than geometry wars. geom is an out-and-out mindless shooter, fit only for small kids and teenagers that think Street Fighter games are good :p

D.

Dunny posted on Mar 14 2007 at 09:35 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Mar 9 2007 at 01:53 AM said:

Pfft. Gridwars is far more strategic than geometry wars. geom is an out-and-out mindless shooter, fit only for small kids and teenagers that think Street Fighter games are good :p

D.
Gridwars is no different, and not as good. Not to say its bad. But it's not as good and it is a blatant rip off of Geometry Wars.

Not true. Gridwars requires you to farm black holes, keeping them controllable but feed them with enemies so that you can get the big points if you finally destroy them. Geometry wars is just about blasting stuff. Also i don´t care if Gridwars is a clone, since it´s freeware.

sam fisher posted on Mar 14 2007 at 10:02 PM said:
You could farm black holes in geometry wars if you wanted too...

As I said, Geometry Wars is just a mindless blaster - you sure you've played it and not Gridwars by mistake? There's really no getting away from the fact that as a game, GridWars is a hell of a lot less superficial than Geometry Wars.

There's a pretty comprehensive examination of why Gridwars is the better game on Rev Stu's page on WOS... and he's right, you know :)

D.

Fishbong posted on Mar 14 2007 at 11:01 PM said:
Not true. Gridwars requires you to farm black holes, keeping them controllable but feed them with enemies so that you can get the big points if you finally destroy them. Geometry wars is just about blasting stuff. Also i don´t care if Gridwars is a clone, since it´s freeware.

As Sam says, everything you say here can be done in Geometry Wars. Have you played Geometry Wars at all?

WhizzBang posted on Mar 15 2007 at 11:06 AM said:
Fishbong posted on Mar 14 2007 at 11:01 PM said:

As Sam says, everything you say here can be done in Geometry Wars. Have you played Geometry Wars at all?
Read this if you want to know what the hell he is talking about...

I don't really know the ins and outs of it because I havent spent much time with Geometry wars. All I know is that Grid Wars is truly a great game.

declaration posted on Mar 15 2007 at 10:47 PM said:

I don't really know the ins and outs of it because I havent spent much time with Geometry wars. All I know is that Grid Wars is truly a great game.

Is that Stuart Campbell who used to write for Your Sinclair?

I haven't played Grid Wars myself, and I am certainly no fan of Microsoft, but Geometry Wars is also a great game. I am not very good at it but I have managed to get a higher score than all my friends on it so we all must be rubbish (my score is about 320,000).

I feel it is a mark of how poor the 360 is that GW is still one of the best games on it. The machine has a lot of potential, but is noisy and crashes too often. Oblivion is the only disc game I have purchased that I think is truley great. Geometry Wars, Dig Dug and Pac man were great downloads though.

WhizzBang posted on Mar 15 2007 at 10:02 PM said:
declaration posted on Mar 15 2007 at 10:47 PM said:

Is that Stuart Campbell who used to write for Your Sinclair?

The very same.

I haven't played Grid Wars myself, and I am certainly no fan of Microsoft, but Geometry Wars is also a great game. I am not very good at it but I have managed to get a higher score than all my friends on it so we all must be rubbish (my score is about 320,000).

It's a very, very good game. GridWars looks very similar, but plays a totally different game. Contrary to popular belief, it's not been "banned" by Microsoft - they requested (nicely, which makes a change) that the author not make it available because it could potentially harm sales of their windows port.

Having played GridWars for a long time now, I can see their point - it's actually a far superior game. It looks every bit as gorgeous as the 360 version, especially running at 1280x1024 with all the particle effects maxed out and custom grids to boot.

A lot of people seem to think that GridWars is an illegal clone, but that's far from the truth. A real shame that the author no longer develops it though, and hasn't released the source :(

D.

Dunny posted on Mar 15 2007 at 09:46 AM said:
sam fisher posted on Mar 14 2007 at 10:02 PM said:
You could farm black holes in geometry wars if you wanted too...

As I said, Geometry Wars is just a mindless blaster - you sure you've played it and not Gridwars by mistake? There's really no getting away from the fact that as a game, GridWars is a hell of a lot less superficial than Geometry Wars.

There's a pretty comprehensive examination of why Gridwars is the better game on Rev Stu's page on WOS... and he's right, you know :)

D.
Gridwars is no better than Geometry Wars I have, and have played, both extensively. Hell, i've played Geometry Wars on PC and Xbox 360. It is in everyway graphically superior to gridwars, which uses pre-rendered bitmaps which lowers the scaleability of the game.

Eitherway, everyone is entitled to an opinion but the only difference between geometry wars and grid wars gameplay wise is power up addition. That, and gridwars bombs also reset the multiplier.

Back