Geometry Wars Port?

dbrodie

Still Fresh
I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anyone talking about it.
It would be really cool to have a Geometry Wars port to the Pandora, the dual analog would make it really fun.
The problem is that I haven't been able to find any free (as in speech) clones out there. There are quite a few closed source but free (as in beer) that we could beg for them to port them.
Was this already discussed and I am bringing up an ancient discussion? IS this even practical?

dbrodie said:
I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anyone talking about it.
It would be really cool to have a Geometry Wars port to the Pandora, the dual analog would make it really fun.
The problem is that I haven't been able to find any free (as in speech) clones out there. There are quite a few closed source but free (as in beer) that we could beg for them to port them.
Was this already discussed and I am bringing up an ancient discussion? IS this even practical?
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49754-chaotic-vortex-dual-stick-arena-shooter/ ;)

ruben has made a few posts along with some promising screenshots on the dev forum about a similar sort of game. Not free as in freedom, but shareware/"freemium."

Last edited by a moderator:
bustaballs said:
Is Grid Wars open source?
Nope, it's freeware. I was able to install it easily in Ubuntu (hardest part was tracking it down) but I strongly doubt there's an ARM port. And frankly, I'm not sure such a port would have any kind of acceptable performance, as my laptop with a Mobility Radeon X1600 is very much slower than my desktop when playing the game.

Yeah, I loved Geometry Wars, would be nice to see a nice clone (or even highly undoubtly the original) running on the pandora without much hassle. I remember when I built my new computer, Geometry Wars was suddenly so much harder because my old one had apparently been running the game much slower (and now it was running like 50x faster). So hopefully any clone will run smooth enough on the Pandora.

Wheels said:
bustaballs said:
Nope, it's freeware. I was able to install it easily in Ubuntu (hardest part was tracking it down) but I strongly doubt there's an ARM port.
The source code was released sometime! I had it on my pc, but it was written in some kind of strage programming language (BlitzMax?). Don't know if it's possible to compile it for the pandora.

And frankly, I'm not sure such a port would have any kind of acceptable performance, as my laptop with a Mobility Radeon X1600 is very much slower than my desktop when playing the game.
Should be possible in 800x480. It runs smooth on my Intel GMA 950.

JayFoxRox said:
It started working in my emulator too and might even be completly working once the Pandora is out (so far it crashes after trying to render a few primitives, not sure why).

Sorry to sound dumb but you talking your psp emu, or your pandora emulated environment (hope you get what I mean) :lol:

JayFoxRox said:
Kagato said:
You could have a go at porting across Trigonometry Wars from the PSP.

Source is available here.

It started working in my emulator too and might even be completly working once the Pandora is out (so far it crashes after trying to render a few primitives, not sure why).
inside the emulator? whoa :D or do i misundertsand?

Na-Noo said:
JayFoxRox said:

Sorry to sound dumb but you talking your psp emu, or your pandora emulated environment (hope you get what I mean) :lol:
I don't think anyone has an emulated Pandora environment. They just either compile under Linux using GLES and will cross compile it to ARM for deployment, test it on beagleboard, or actually have a pandora dev board.

rabidpoobear said:
I don't think anyone has an emulated Pandora environment. They just either compile under Linux using GLES and will cross compile it to ARM for deployment, test it on beagleboard, or actually have a pandora dev board.
Don't they? I thought that there was a PowerVr emulator you could use on windows or something.
But like most things like that, it just meant you couldn't fully test it until you had a beagleboard or a pandora. My bad sorry.

Na-Noo said:
JayFoxRox said:

real deal, psp emu

JayFoxRox said:
Na-Noo said:

real deal, psp emu
Thanks for the response.
I do follow your blog, it seemed that psp was on a slight back burner whilst you wrote cross compatible stuff for N64 i.e input plugin

Wouldn´t it run better if it was compiled from source code instead of running it inside a PSP-emu? Of course, that would actually require someone to do the porting, so I´m not going to sit here and demand anything, but in the long run I think that would be a better idea than running it in a PSP-emu.

Ofcourse it would be better to recompile it. But its probably more work as I'm sure that it will work really nice in a few days in the emu. The only thing to worry about here is the battery drain.

[offtopic]
Na-Noo: No, the N64 input plugin was based on my Pandora-PSP source and helped me getting controls in my PSP emu right as I didn't have any way to test it myself. I have LOTS of stuff to write about in the blog right now, its just too much and it takes me a good while to write the new blog entry. Its also useless to write one now because I'm changing so much right now. About 15 minutes ago I decided to rewrite the emu yet another time..
[/offtopic]

JayFoxRox said:
[offtopic]
Na-Noo: No, the N64 input plugin was based on my Pandora-PSP source and helped me getting controls in my PSP emu right as I didn't have any way to test it myself. I have LOTS of stuff to write about in the blog right now, its just too much and it takes me a good while to write the new blog entry. Its also useless to write one now because I'm changing so much right now. About 15 minutes ago I decided to rewrite the emu yet another time..
[/offtopic]
Glad it turned out to be mutually beneficial.
No probs mate, your blogs, and thread was always very detailed, so I know it's not a 2 min task, especially with other real life things etc.
Just letting you know I appreciate it, not only your work on the emu itself but the stuff you report back etc, even if like the DS I'm not actually into PSP either :lol:

JayFoxRox said:
Kagato said:
You could have a go at porting across Trigonometry Wars from the PSP.

Source is available here.

That game use to crash randomly all the time on my psp when I had one. Sometimes it would crash right aways and sometimes go a while without crashing, but i think it will crash no matter what depending on how long you play because I quit playing it after playing the game for over 4 hours straight and having it crash on me. I have no clue if theres been an update to that game. It's been over a year since I played it. So that may or may not be whats causing it to crash since I have no clue how exactly its crashing for you and know nothing about programing and coding stuff.

But thats pretty cool that you've gotten it to work on your emu. Very impressive.

Wheels said:
bustaballs said:
Nope, it's freeware. I was able to install it easily in Ubuntu (hardest part was tracking it down) but I strongly doubt there's an ARM port. And frankly, I'm not sure such a port would have any kind of acceptable performance, as my laptop with a Mobility Radeon X1600 is very much slower than my desktop when playing the game.
Thou art woofin:
I present to thee, Grid Wars 2, the source:
PC
Mac

Some one please port this, tis one of the best pick up and go games ever.

Back