GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

If gcw is short on funds then he needs to start Kickstarter right away. He will always need emergency funds on hand for delays and other unexpected costs.

If gcw is short on funds then he needs to start Kickstarter right away. He will always need emergency funds on hand for delays and other unexpected costs.
What good is it to launch the kickstarter to raise funds during a time when everyone's funds are low because of christmas and holidays? Even though kickstarter wont take money from people until the project is funded, everyone's mind is still seeing $120ish and thinking 'ya, no, i just dropped a grand or more on xmas, this is not a need, this is a want and wants can wait until i recoup'. The kickstarter project will fail if launched now, i'll put my money on that. Wait till feb.

What good is it to launch the kickstarter to raise funds during a time when everyone's funds are low because of christmas and holidays? Even though kickstarter wont take money from people until the project is funded, everyone's mind is still seeing $120ish and thinking 'ya, no, i just dropped a grand or more on xmas, this is not a need, this is a want and wants can wait until i recoup'. The kickstarter project will fail if launched now, i'll put my money on that. Wait till feb.
That seems reasonable. By that time early adopter should have units so lots of reviews, videos, etc on the web creating buzz, etc.

on the other hand, some people are sitting with a few quid Christmas money burning a hole in their pocket and looking what to get themselves with it. Admittedly that'll likely be younger people

You're only accounting for older people, I myself am 19 going on 20 with money to spare. It's only $135, if the KickStarter doesn't even LAUNCH until Feb I'm just upgrading my Pandora instead of waiting for this.

^

I wonder when this GCW Kickstarter would be fulfilled if/when (knocking on wood, thinking positive) the project gets funded. 

If the GCW Kickstarter is unsuccessful the project will dry up since Justin has been unable to reactivate his Paypal account. There has been no definite word on the remaining units so there could be even less then 300 available if Kickstarter fails.

Well, I already ordered and paid for 100 units, so I guess I should at least get these.

Even without Kickstarter, there are possibilities. He could get preorders from various distributors (without payment upfront) and use that as security for payment with the production company. And as soon as production is finished, the distributors have to pay to receive the preordered units.

There ARE ways to continue here.

I'm a bit disappointed though. I ordered and paid these 100 units in September and should've received them in October.

Yet, I didn't even receive a prototype that has been promised multiple times to me.

I'm currently thinking about requesting that money back and waiting until production really starts. After all, I thought that was what I did last year... Paying with delivery shortly after.

I'm must say I'm surprised ED you didn't receive a prototype. You have the means and the distribution to create some huge hype for the unit via your shop and your boards. If only Justin would show the same level of commitment to his GCW0 that you do with Pandora and your customers.

There is one big sell point for the GCW0 and that's retro gaming via wifi. That's a plus that's missing in many of the currently selling handhelds. This needs to be highlighted in the Kickstarter campaign. This alone will probably contribute to a lot of project's funding. If done right the GCW0 Kickstarter project will probably exceed it's goal but only if Justin can keep maintaining it's hype throughout.

Prototypes are going out slowly.  I would bet you'll have one soon.  As to those hundred units, that?

I hear you on the distributors.  My hope is to order some once production is moving and reliable. 

Not sure why he doesn't just drop the standard edition and just do the Kickstarter and future units with the higher RAM.

I'd feel much better about the GCW if it was being produced by Global Components. 

EDIT:  @DisgruntledElf  I think it has the potential to be bigger than the Ouya for the simple fact that you can put it into your pocket.  I wish it had a little more flare in overall appearance.  I really liked the buttons on the Dingoo Digital A380. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I already ordered and paid for 100 units, so I guess I should at least get these.

Even without Kickstarter, there are possibilities. He could get preorders from various distributors (without payment upfront) and use that as security for payment with the production company. And as soon as production is finished, the distributors have to pay to receive the preordered units.

I'm a bit disappointed though. I ordered and paid these 100 units in September and should've received them in October.

Yet, I didn't even receive a prototype that has been promised multiple times to me.

I'm currently thinking about requesting that money back and waiting until production really starts. After all, I thought that was what I did last year... Paying with delivery shortly after.
What units did you order ED? Standard or Special Edition?

What units did you order ED? Standard or Special Edition?
8 SE and 100 Standard Editions, as those 8 were the only special ones left.

Yeah im waiting on 1se and 25 regular gcws.guess if kickstarter fails my units will sell quicker anyways.if successful they should sell anyways.

I'm must say I'm surprised ED you didn't receive a prototype. You have the means and the distribution to create some huge hype for the unit via your shop and your boards. If only Justin would show the same level of commitment to his GCW0 that you do with Pandora and your customers. There is one big sell point for the GCW0 and that's retro gaming via wifi. That's a plus that's missing in many of the currently selling handhelds. This needs to be highlighted in the Kickstarter campaign. This alone will probably contribute to a lot of project's funding. If done right the GCW0 Kickstarter project will probably exceed it's goal but only if Justin can keep maintaining it's hype throughout.
I sent an PM to Evil Dragon on the 13th when I found out that he never got a unit. Here is some of that message, I can't include everything from it.

Hello sorry to bug you I know you are a very busy man. But I was wondering if you were ever sent a sample gcw and if not were still interested in one? I don't have any se's to give you but I can send you a standard edition. Please let me know if you are still interested in getting one sent to you and let me know where to ship it. It will be a prototype but I'm pretty sure the final model wont be much different.

Evil Dragon I will be more than willing to send you one of my prototypes. Just answer the PM with your shipping info. I don't have the other 100 of course  its not my company and I have nothing to do with stock on hand and orders. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say qbertaddict, your commitment to the GCW0 project is phenomenal. Your always available to help and you've kept the project's momentum strong from the start. I hope Justin will reward for your hard work in the future.

Evil Dragon I will be more than willing to send you one of my prototypes. Just answer the PM with your shipping info. I don't have the other 100 of course  its not my company and I have nothing to do with stock on hand and orders. 
Thanks a lot - I didn't see the PM, sorry about that.

Sometimes, PMs that are still new are marked as not being new at the boards here... I think it's related to Tapatalk, so I guess I missed that one.

Thanks for the offer, I'll take a look - but as you're doing videos yourself, you should probably also keep it. :)

Thanks a lot - I didn't see the PM, sorry about that.

Sometimes, PMs that are still new are marked as not being new at the boards here... I think it's related to Tapatalk, so I guess I missed that one.

Thanks for the offer, I'll take a look - but as you're doing videos yourself, you should probably also keep it. :)

I have an extra pm me your info. I will send it out, 

Back