GCW Zero - Open Source Gaming Handheld

Now, the reason we are suspicious of this new handheld is because if it is indeed a new Dingoo it most probably won't have any of the tests or safety standards the Pandora (or any other handheld) has to have, it no doubt won't be registered with the usual bodies which we have to be with (for things like BT), it will may just ignore MP3 and Video codec licences (which we could never get away with) and as Ed mentioned they are questionable quality and seem to make no effort to improve this quality.

OK I can see that's bad for you guys if you wanted to re-sell it. But if you're right and it's a 'new Dingoo' we'll all just buy it from China for cheaper anyway. None of those things matter in that case. They are problems for resellers, not for end users.

Yes and no.

The importer is responsible for the device, regardless of whether it is an end user or a distributor.

You have to ensure that it follows all the safety needed for your country.

Normally, it's no big deal, as no one will care about that... unless something happens BECAUSE of that.

i.e. if the WiFi chip somehow affects a public paid hotspot so that it doesn't work properly anymore and the company finds out your device is responsible for it, you're liable if you imported it yourself.

They could demand by law to cover their loss.

If you bought it officially from a distributor within your country, he's liable for it and has to cover the damage (and he probably has to pay a fee because he sold an illegel device).

It's very unlikely something like that will happen with such a device, that's why I said "Yes and No", but in theory, it could be an issue for the end user as well.

Interesting. So in the case of all these UK/EU resellers of China tablets - what should they be doing to make sure they're within the law? By law do they have to have paid for all these things to be tested on each device before they sell it? And what about when the China manufacturer tweaks the model by just replacing the Wifi/GPS/BT chip for a cheaper one. They'd have to pay all over again to have them tested? I wouldn't have thought the profit margin is good enough to be able to afford all that. Maybe they don't bother?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having sold the Dingoo, I know what you have to do ;)

When you import them into the EU, you are technically the manufacturer here.

Therefore, you either need to get CE Testing documents from the production company or do the test yourself. You also have to include a declaration of conformity with your sales, register it for WEEE and pay the fees for everything.

Basically, if the manufacturer hasn't done the CE testing, it will cost you about 2000 EUR just to be able to legally sell a new product within the EU.

I actually did all that with the Dingoo, additionally, I had to create and flash my own firmware without any illegal roms...

Now, with Chinese stuff, there are two issues:

Even though they might provide you with a CE test, it might be it hasn't been done properly.

If that causes issues later, YOU are the one liable for it, not the Chinese.

And once they change anything in the device, yes, you would have to redo the CE testing.

Anyways, I sent a mail to GCW that I might be interesting in sellng it two days ago, but didn't get any reply yet.

You may as well just email direct to China to get it if it is just the latest Dingoo, they PM me all the time on MSN trying to get me to buy their PMPs.

Where is GCW been abit quiet lately since all these question have been thrown at you if you have nothing to hide come and show us please.

Top three best retro handhelds at the moment

1st Pandora

2nd Dingoo A320

3rd Caanoo

Where will the GCW zero slot in?

Sorry guys and gals spending time with family and on the road and work of course have to pay the daily bills like everyone else ;)

1. We contacted Ingenic when we started this project and asked them for the best developer/manufacturers they deal with in China. They gave us a small list of about 4 best they knew of. We did the researcher/ due dilegence and decided with one.

Once we picked who we wanted to help us develop this console we went to them with the desired specs and look we wanted. In all we have had 6 prototypes leading to the one we did a teaser video on and had qbertaddict test the latest one. It still needs a few tweaks hardware wise but overall I'm very very pleased with the results.

We know have a basic Linux 2.6 OS on the device and it is ok but we really wanted a better one so we are working on getting Open Dingux on the console and a complete new menu system that takes the best of d-menu and gmenu2x and combines them into one new one. We are also working on an intergated app store that will allow you to purchase commercial apps/games and free apps/games.

The items will have CE/FCC certificatons on release and the hardware is solid stable built. I'm the brain child of this and I'm working with the best hardware/software developers to make the best console we can for the open source community. This is not a Dingoo or Caanoo replacement. The reason we choose Open Dingux is because it is a stable OS and there are numerous apps/games already developed for it and porting would be a really small feat.

We have taken what the community wants in a Open Source console and have tried to put it in this console all the features people have said they want and needed. This will be the first console other then the Pandora to beat the 533Mhz barrier and provide emulations and apps that would not work/run well before such as N64 etc.

I hope this answers most of the questions if there are others please let me know if I missed one...

Yes just one more question when do you want my money or how about shut up and take my money.

I hope this answers most of the questions if there are others please let me know if I missed one...

Thanks for being open and posting this background info despite the inital skepticism and negativity from some members here.

To me this is quite an exciting project, I'm looking forward to the next update/prototype video. Its not always convenient to carry my pandora around, this would be a nice auxilliary gaming handheld for me.

OpenDingux, eh... GameGadget killer anyone?

I'm the brain child of this
Causality reversal again?

"Again"?

The 'again' in the first post pyramid is referring to the way that this post has unquoted comments before the quote used in the answer, which is before the quote of original question. Of course I have now answered a question before it was asked :D

So... we got an expensive clone of a chinese device?

That's something refreshing :)
It's them quantum physicists with their causality reversal again!

I'm the brain child of this
Causality reversal again?
"Again"?

Back