Games For Dosbox - What Games Do You Want?

dune 1/2: too slow
settlers: too slow

:/

heres a list of games that work right now:

- acranoid (woooot^^)
- armada2525
- commander keen4
- dangerousdave
- duke nukem 1 (hail to the king baby!)
- dynablaster
- overkill
- xenon2

games that run but are to slow to play:

- hocus pocus
- one must fall (nice sound tho)
- duke nukem 2
- dune 2/1
- settlers
- wing commander 1
- gta (hahahahaa)

anyone interested? :)

DReffects posted on Mar 20 2006 at 08:20 PM said:
hm if its ok for you to not even have decent cursor movement then maybe... scaling the image to the gp32 screen takes tons of res. so you would have horrible sound stuttering etc. i tried duke nukem 2 and get about 3-4 fps. and thats a whicked old game. keen 4 runs with ~15fps which is just about enough...

if it only would be possible to acess tge 2nd cpu somehow...

name me any adventure with 640x480 and i am happy to give it a try :)

Is that CPU needed just for resizing, or does the actual emulation take that much more power for 640x480? I seem to recall there being a hardware-resizing, used in, hum, something....

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarska333 posted on Mar 20 2006 at 08:47 PM said:
Is that CPU needed just for resizing, or does the actual emulation take that much more power for 640x480? I seem to recall there being a hardware-resizing, used in, hum, something....
something ya^^ i had to disable all scaler to get performance, so no hardware scaling available. most power is consumed by vga emulation, soundblaster or gravis ultrasound arent that much of an issue as you always need pc speaker and from that one its not a big step to sb1 or sb16.
i've compiled a more recent version of dosbox and added some tweaks but with only the single arm cpu at 275 mhz not more than a 286er or an early 386er is possible. for example: a game like one must fall likes a 468 dx2 66mhz with 8mb ram and decent vga - that would represent about 2500-3000 cpu cycles. the gp2x can manage about 480-550 depending on the game and config. for 3k cycles dosbox developers recommend a pentium with 1000mhz... so its quite pointless to focus anymore on tuning the config. instead someone (not me, i simply do not have more knowledge to implement a dual cpu thingy) should focus on a dual core version....

whats no problem are games wihtout any moving stuff like armada 2525 which is lovely to watch and hear but has not any animation in it :) also some older rpgs with step-by-step movement will work pretty well i think. but then again we have no keyboard for extensive rpgs :/

edit: ok i did some benchmarking with drhard.exe - emulated speed is (aprox.)

468 - 7,4 Mhz
hardstones: 1306
softstones: 398

for comparison a p5-200:
hardstones: 152928
softstones: 62938

hooray^^

DReffects posted on Mar 20 2006 at 06:28 PM said:
Eolair posted on Mar 20 2006 at 02:32 PM said:
I would absolutely love it if you could get this game running:

Armada2525

It's an old space strategy game that I still play today :)
ok, armada 2525 works with sound :)

Man, that rules! I can't wait to try it. Thanks :D

DReffects posted on Mar 19 2006 at 06:17 PM said:
heyo,

inspired by the previous hack of dosbox ive compiled a new version in order to improve speed and stuff. while speed seems to be only a little bit improoved right now i'd like to do some gamepacks.

therefore i need to know what games you'd like to see on the gp2x. pls no req like gta2 or wing commander 3 ;)

stick to older abandon/freeware.

:)

The settlers 1
Simant
wings of fury
The Incredible Machine

could be cool :D

gonna look into TIM today

how should i relase this? As a clomplete package each time with DOSBox AND the game or seperately?

seperately... is there a way we could use the configs like modules that can be chosen from a selector?

xnopasaranx posted on Mar 21 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
seperately... is there a way we could use the configs like modules that can be chosen from a selector?
hm good idea, gonna try that :)

Jarska333 posted on Mar 21 2006 at 03:53 PM said:
"As a clomplete package each time with DOSBox AND the game"

I do believe that would be illegal? Unless I misunderstood.
why would it be? both dosbox and the games are freeware/abandonware

DReffects posted on Mar 21 2006 at 11:07 AM said:
xnopasaranx posted on Mar 21 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
hm good idea, gonna try that :)

Jarska333 posted on Mar 21 2006 at 03:53 PM said:
"As a clomplete package each time with DOSBox AND the game"

I do believe that would be illegal? Unless I misunderstood.
why would it be? both dosbox and the games are freeware/abandonware

Abandonware isn't nessessarly legal. Certaintly ethical but not always legal. Ussually games still have a copyright holder out there even if the company that released the game is long since vanished.

DijiTao posted on Mar 21 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
Abandonware isn't nessessarly legal. Certaintly ethical but not always legal. Ussually games still have a copyright holder out there even if the company that released the game is long since vanished.
even if those games are available for download through abandonia or directly from the publisher (like bio menance from 3dr)?

DReffects posted on Mar 21 2006 at 05:20 PM said:
DijiTao posted on Mar 21 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
Abandonware isn't nessessarly legal.  Certaintly ethical but not always legal.  Ussually games still have a copyright holder out there even if the company that released the game is long since vanished.
even if those games are available for download through abandonia or directly from the publisher (like bio menance from 3dr)?

Two things: I'm fairly sure that isn't abandonware (it may be Shareware as in the case of Keen 4, or simply re-licensed as freeware). If it's abandonware, it *is* abandoned by the publisher - they don't give a wossname about the game, whether it exists anywhere or not. Making it available for free is not abandonware.

Secondly, games like that often have a stipulation re: redistributing them, so you might have to contact the company to be sure they don't mind your putting up such a pack in the first place.

Kingdom of Kroz!

kroz6jv.gif

i spent soooo much time on this game and its sequels (one of which had a few side-scrolling levels)...

I just remember one of these old games:
Rockford !

It might be easier to port GNOME STONES tough ;)

Back