Games For Dosbox - What Games Do You Want?

I'm a huge fan of DOS games and would love to see, as listed by others, SSI Gold Box games and also old faves of mine like Overlord, Millenium, and The Dark Heart of Uukrul. The only problem I see with a couple of these, Uukrul in particular, is the copy protection documents needed like the non-xeroxable brown amulet sheets for Uukrul or the voluminous players guide for the SSI games... any workarounds for those?
I don't see any way around these as far as DosBox is concerned... In fact, I was hoping to get Wasteland working on this, but without virtual keyboard or mouse support, I don't think it'd be playable... plus, it has a whole book of paragraphs just like the SSI games.

I suppose if someone were to add a hack where a certain button combo would pause the game and launch a text reader with a specified file, and then exit back to the game, that would certainly help a lot. Don't know how feasible this is though.

--Zero

Last edited by a moderator:
Dosbox needs a virtual keyboard.

I've kinda clumped one together to get covert action's code breaking game to work (you have to replace each letter with another one - which requires two presses of the alpha keys). Here's the snippet from the mapper.txt:

Code:
key_a "key 97 mod1"
key_b "key 104 mod1" 
key_c "key 103 mod1"
key_d "key 102 mod1"
key_e "key 101 mod1"
key_f "key 100 mod1"
key_g "key 99 mod1"
key_h "key 98 mod1"

key_i "key 97 mod2"
key_j "key 104 mod2" 
key_k "key 103 mod2"
key_l "key 102 mod2"
key_m "key 101 mod2"
key_n "key 100 mod2"
key_o "key 99 mod2"
key_p "key 98 mod2"

key_q "key 97 mod1 mod2"
key_r "key 104 mod1 mod2" 
key_s "key 103 mod1 mod2"
key_t "key 102 mod1 mod2"
key_u "key 101 mod1 mod2"
key_v "key 100 mod1 mod2"
key_w "key 99 mod1 mod2"
key_x "key 98 mod1 mod2"

key_y "key 114 mod1 mod2"
key_z "key 113 mod1 mod2"

mod_1 "key 107"
mod_2 "key 108"
---

How this works is it uses the 8-directional controller combined with the left and right shoulder keys as modifiers. Here's the layout:

(left shoulder)
Code:
h  A  b
G	 C
f   E  d

(right shoulder)
Code:
p  I  j
O	 K
n  M l

(left and right shoulder)
Code:
x  Q  r
W	 S
v  U  t

y and z are volume down and up respectively with both shoulder buttons down.

It's a bit messy, but it does work. If the game doesn't require many other buttons, you could replace the diagonals with the AB-XY buttons quite easily, which should add some precision. Hope that helps some of you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got The Dark Heart of Uukrul, one of the best DOS RPGs ever, working under Dosbox... almost. The amount of keys needing mapping make this more trouble than it's worth, however, it runs at amazing speed and very smooth - even more so than when it ran on my 286. Any game with similar requirements should be a breeze for Dosbox.

I have only read some of the pages here (there's 14 and I'm lazy, ok?). Even though I am still waiting for my gp2x to arrive, if no one has mentioned these, I'd *love* to be able to play Wizardry again...*drool*: Wizardry VI (Bane of the Cosmic Forge) and VII (Crusaders of the Dark Savant).

Ah, the hours I spent just creating characters in Dark Savant....:)

COLONIZATION!

I have been waiting soooo long to play this on the move. It just about works on the Amiga emulator but not brilliantly so isn't that playable, the DOS version would be great if performance was up to it and it would be that little bit more "authentic"!

®

loved reading that you got xenon2 working :) its one of my fav games ever.. beat it so many times i could go through the last level without taking a single hit. the game is too short :(

Id love to see gods working :)

would be nice if we could offload adlib sound or something to the 940 or that...

This is a SUPER bump, I know, but I just download DrEffect's version of DOSBox and can not get a single thing to run, following all instructions to the letter. I have tried a number of different games, many of which work with Bo!ngBall's release, but everything I try with DrEffect's release just gives me a black screen.

Do you think this could be because I am running an F-200 and have firmware v4? Has anyone gotten this release of DOSBox to work on an F-200?

I have tried editing down the overclock limit, tried different cpu core types, tried entirely different games, but still nothing other than a black screen.

Back