Game Gadget

Yeah, I think they will want to keep quiet on the Pandora as it would do them no favours.

I dont think it can compete really eh, no nubs etc, but its a cheaper device and potentially will be not too bad at all for 70 quid imo, once more games are about for it.

Their channel only shows the Megadrive games as thats all it as at present.

They released their app last night, but the games 'greyed out' in the list are not yet available to d/l - so its just the 30 Megadrive games [plus the additional Megadrive games i added myself to SD]

...It uses Picodrive, and for some reason refuses to play one of my fav games, Stormlord. I was well looking forward to playing that with a dpad rather than my touchscreen phone.

Their plans, i believe, are to pretty much let the community run it and build onto it, making content available via the app.

This is the app store as we see it now, on the left column is the files/games they host, which as you can see are not yet selectable.

Looks like in time though, we will have a few more systems than Megadrive though which is nice... just a shame we cant see what those games are just yet

2z9fyu9.png

Edit:

To be fair, Gamegadget did release an early manual workaround with the 30 Megadrive games, I've had mine on there a few days now.

The actual release from yesterday doesnt offer anything more than what us users who done the manual workaround have already.

I think they knew the actual app store wouldnt be available until around now, but wanted to get the actual units out to people prior to that, so as soon as it did go live users would be armed and ready.

I just want to know what that 'one' Spectrum game is now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I would be happy if they can pull this through, don't get me wrong :)

A reasonable priced device where I can legally buy tons of classic games for a decent price would be something I'd really love to get myself and support.

It's something totally different than the Pandora, I don't see it as competition.

Right now, it's competition against devices like the Dingoo or the Caanoo, but both in openness and price the Caanoo is the better choice.

Also, for press reviews, I suspected they should ship some already activated devices upfront to the media, to get some more publicity, but it seems that has happened.

I'm sure there will be user videos and reviews, but I was assuming official ones should be out already.

If they can manage to get a lot of classic games legally for a good price onto the system, it's a great thing.

But I personally doubt that will really happen... Nintendo would never give their stuff out, so maybe some classic Arcade games (like for WIZ / Caanoo) could be licensed.

Amiga games would be possible to get, but the device is not powerful enough for Amiga emulation...

So what could we expect except MegaDrive?

Maybe some TG16, some Spectrum, some C64 games, some SMS games... but NES, SNES, etc? I doubt it, sadly.

Yes i agree that this GG and Pandora are completely dif devices with dif purposes - only crossing over at retro game emulation really.

Pandora is so much more, which is why we love her so much, right :)

Notice in the screenshot though, it lists NES games [1]

So we might have some NES games available for this in time, once they agree more licensing - or whatever deals are made between parties.

Same with Amiga, its in the list and showing [1] game available.

I'm hoping that these 'are' platforms already negotiated and they will release titles on them, and its not just a place-holder type image to show how the interface will look.

Guess have to wait and see.

Don't forget an NES game may not be a game made by Nintendo, but merely a game that appeared on the Nintendo NES system. I wouldn't expect any actual official Nintendo (or first party) games/franchises to appear on the GameGadget.

Wow... just read their latest press release.

They sold more than they thought (is that true? I can't find many user reports on the net)

Almost certainly not true, unless they expected to only sell a handful. Like you say, there is no buzz online about this, actually this thread is one of the few things. They have 200 twitter followers. There is nothing of note here.

They still emphasize it's the first gaming handheld since the Spectrum (handheld...?) made in UK (someone really should tell them about the Pandora...)

Not only are they obviously wrong, there have also been many devices since the Spectrum made in the UK. Sinclair himself made devices after the Spectrum, including portable ones (z88).

Furthermore, this company seems to have links to Hong Kong. Their 'Made in the UK' claim needs further investigation.

We need someone to take one of these apart so we can find out if it's a Dingoo style device in a new case.

If you get me my Pandora quick fast Craig ... you can tear apart my GameGadget and see what its made of

We need someone to take one of these apart so we can find out if it's a Dingoo style device in a new case.

What do you mean by "Dingoo Style Device"?

It's got an Ingenic JZ4750 inside it, whereas the Dingoo had an Ingenic JZ4732. So they're both based on similar SoCs... which makes them similar to one another I suppose.

It's got an Ingenic JZ4750 inside it, whereas the Dingoo had an Ingenic JZ4732. So they're both based on similar SoCs... which makes them similar to one another I suppose.

What I mean is that these PCBs almost all come from the same factory in China, all these PMPs tend to share the same parts, software etc.

I'd like to know if this is just another one with some extra 'made the in UK' polish put on top.

If it is indeed made in the UK then I'd like to have some further information, like where it's being made.

Right. I didn't know they were claiming that it was made in the UK.

On their website a few months ago they only claimed that it was developed in the UK.

I doubt very much that it's made here, especially since Ingenic are a Chinese firm.

While it's true that there are NES and SNES games not from Nintendo, I'm not sure most developers have the rights to release their games without Nintendos blessing.

It might be that their licensing model included something like only releasing the games exclusively for the NES, and for that, Nintendo manufactured and sold their games...

Are there any NES or SNES games available for XBox360 or PS3?

Not that I can think of, but I can't recall any MasterSystem games available for them either - maybe they are just too old. There were certainly games released for Nintendo systems that appeared on other systems too, so I presume they didn't all have exclusivity for all games.

Right. I didn't know they were claiming that it was made in the UK.

On their website a few months ago they only claimed that it was developed in the UK.

I doubt very much that it's made here, especially since Ingenic are a Chinese firm.

I suspect they had a hand in developing the case and the software, or some input anyway.

Certainly nothing like the Pandora development, which they seem to conveniently ignore in their press guff.

While it's true that there are NES and SNES games not from Nintendo, I'm not sure most developers have the rights to release their games without Nintendos blessing.

It might be that their licensing model included something like only releasing the games exclusively for the NES, and for that, Nintendo manufactured and sold their games...

Are there any NES or SNES games available for XBox360 or PS3?
A number of the NES and SNES Mega Man games (as well as some PSX ones) have subsequently been re-released across several platforms in compilation form, if that helps to shed any light, so certainly, the rights for at least some games seem to reside solely with their rights-holders.

They set the forums up and there are threads already for those other systems so looks like they will be available soon.

Got boards for nes snes and gameboys from the Nintendo systems so maybe...

http://forum.gamegadgetgames.com/

This thing looks quite hideous to me, it looks like something that you would get in one of those old people's gift catalogues, item number 22, right next to the porcelain faberge egg salt and pepper shakers and the heated thermal nappies.

I've never actually used a Caanoo before, I have looked at them with wanton eyes but never got on it. I dont know anyone offline who owns one either - My circles of friends are not big retro gamers and if anything have PS3/360s only

I got to say though that the Caanoo does look a nicer form than the Gamegadget.

I like the Gamegadget because it looks like an old skool console, its simple looking, not as polished as the Caanoo.

It does look a bit "innovations cataloguey" though, cant deny that :)

I read some rants from people about its translucent casing too, which allows light to escape through it a bit, but i quite like that.

Even though ive not help a Caanoo, I imagine it would feel a lot more solid build compared to it

I can run the OpenDingux on the device without recompiling,

just drop in the OpenDingus rootfs with the GG's own sandbox kernel...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rKqI5Fq8XgE?feature=oembed
So, yes, 'similar' ;)

Like a bouse! I see you've got a thread here too:

http://boards.dingoo...-on-gamegadget/

I didn't know it would be that simple, are the screen resolutions the same & everything? wow.

Edit: can you overclock the GG? Run any other interesting emus? I want to see more!! Mooore :)

I wonder what this means for their "Made in the UK" claims, now. :p

VERY interesting to see.

Back