Game Gadget

You have to register first before throwing it at anyone - including politicians - its standard practice, just fill a quick online survey first in under 10 mins before it expires and then your projectile will hit its target :)

Yesterday the Gamegadget phoneline said that today/wednesday would see it go live, still no change on their website but my mates just checked on their facebook and they've updated just a while ago saying that they are tying up loose ends.

This sounds promising enough to me, sounds like the activation link might be posted at some point today as suggested.

I really hope so, im wearing out my dpad here with anxiety thumb

You have to register first before throwing it at anyone - including politicians - its standard practice, just fill a quick online survey first in under 10 mins before it expires and then your projectile will hit its target

this situation sounds more like the American gun laws than anything else... 5 day wait after submitting your application before you can purchase your firearm

http://www.atf.gov/f.../brady-law.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much knowledge of how you guys go about aquiring arms but I'd say the check is a wise thing.

That's how it used to be then, before the NICS insta-check came about, meaning you can now walk in shop and come out again with your purchase?

Alcohol tobacco and explosives sound like an interesting line of work though

I don't own a gun, and aparently my knowledge about how to obtain one is outdated quite a bit, I was just aware of the law, didn't see they changed it for that instant background check thing?

I always thought that wait was so you would calm down a bit if you were wanting one to go and shoot someone over a squable. Harder to walk down to your local mom & pop and pick up a gun, go home and shoot the misses.

Strange days

Hadn't even considered that but now you mention it they probably should roll back to that system for that reason, some hot heads probably do impulse buy.

And don't tell me there is a shop called "mom & pop" where you can buy guns [interrobang here]

...as in "mum & dad", that's offkey

As for gamegadget activation still no email or update since earlier this afternoon on Facebook so roll on tomorrow... this and Pandora can't be healthy for me, I'm wishing my life away :)

Edit: they going to give a update in morning as to when we can activate. Sweeet

Having to register your console before you can use it is very creepy.

With a car I can obviously understand it, because you might run someone over or such, but a console? What you going to do with this thing? Hack in to the Pentagon? Throw it at George Bush?

Even then, you don't have to register your boot before you can throw it. lol

And don't tell me there is a shop called "mom & pop" where you can buy guns [interrobang here]

...as in "mum & dad", that's offkey

"Mom & Pop store" is just an American-ism for a small business / family owned store or something along those lines. Not literally a gun shop called 'Mom & Pop's Firearms' :)

ah ok, i didnt know that American-ism. Thought that would be a bit of a strange item to sell in a shop named that :)

The morning is over now here, its early afternoon... so im hoping any...minute...now...

2e5rz20.jpg

Well apparently some people have been able to activate this device thus far. If you watch the youtube unboxing video on the previous page (or alternatively scroll to the end of it :p ) you'll see a few of the suggested videos are people actually playing games on this thing :) . So It must be working for some and not others? Or maybe the problem has been completely resolved? I wouldn't know as I don't own one of these.

On a side note, this device looks pretty clunky and poorly made imo. However, it is a pretty neat concept :) . Download the retro games from a marketplace similar to smartphones and what not. I wonder if these games are actually 'licensed' like the handheld developers claim though... I'd hate to buy a whole bunch of games from their marketplace, only to find out later it went in someone else's pocket, rather than the software developer's...

I just see an update on their facebook.

you can email Mark and he will send details on how to manually register the device.

Im mailing now to see if i can get them

He says that tomorrow is almost a certainty for a technical solution.

Happy days, looking forward to some Strider and Magical Hat business.

to add, I think the actual device is pretty nice myself, liking the colour scheme. I dont find it too clunky and its suprisingly lightweight too. The 4 buttons are a touch smaller than i had imagined they would be, but they seem nice still - though when in actual use ive yet to see.

I'm sure the software developers do indeed get their fair cut of the money too, the guy from Blaze who was mostly updating us all on their facebook account did mention that his main role in this was sourcing games and dealing with the licensee's ... so i think its all good in that sense

cheers for the heads up though fatman514

I wonder if these games are actually 'licensed' like the handheld developers claim though... I'd hate to buy a whole bunch of games from their marketplace, only to find out later it went in someone else's pocket, rather than the software developer's...

Don't worry, I'm sure whoever gets a cut of the money won't have any relation to the people who made the games.

I just see an update on their facebook.

you can email Mark and he will send details on how to manually register the device.

Im mailing now to see if i can get them

He says that tomorrow is almost a certainty for a technical solution.

Happy days, looking forward to some Strider and Magical Hat business.

to add, I think the actual device is pretty nice myself, liking the colour scheme. I dont find it too clunky and its suprisingly lightweight too. The 4 buttons are a touch smaller than i had imagined they would be, but they seem nice still - though when in actual use ive yet to see.

I'm sure the software developers do indeed get their fair cut of the money too, the guy from Blaze who was mostly updating us all on their facebook account did mention that his main role in this was sourcing games and dealing with the licensee's ... so i think its all good in that sense

cheers for the heads up though fatman514

I hope so!

I wonder if these games are actually 'licensed' like the handheld developers claim though... I'd hate to buy a whole bunch of games from their marketplace, only to find out later it went in someone else's pocket, rather than the software developer's...

Don't worry, I'm sure whoever gets a cut of the money won't have any relation to the people who made the games.

Lol that's kind of what I'm hoping doesn't happen :p .

Golden axe is on and playing nice, I'm liking the menu system too

Shame no volume slider though, i hope with updates they can make a volume control display when pressing Start to pause, to adjust mid-play

Lol that's kind of what I'm hoping doesn't happen :p .

I get what you're saying, but the reason I said that is because in most cases this software was developed by people who no longer work for whatever company owns the IP, and even if they do they probably won't receive direct royalties and probably don't have a direct stake in the company's profits.

Of course, you could say that the money they were originally paid (or whoever acquired the IP later paid) was a fixed-cost investment made with the hopes of making indefinite returns upon. I just wonder if anyone who was involved in the original payments actually did expect to make money selling the ROMs one day.

That all said, it's possible that Sega or other third parties are also merely licensing these out at a fixed cost and aren't making profits that are proportional to game sales either.

Wouldn't that be more because most of the people who made the games have now gone on to found their own studios, rather than staying with Sega, though?

(Just asking, since Blaze is to the very best of my knowledge a legitimate licensee and has been selling AtGames' legitimately-licensed products for some years, now. :p )

EDIT: Bah. That'll teach me not to refresh before posting!

Exophase, you have a valid point there :p . Most of the original developers are probably long gone from these various companies

They've gone live now. Just going to d/l their app now and see what's available if anything.. might just be the megadrive games for now but never know..

Wow... just read their latest press release.

They sold more than they thought (is that true? I can't find many user reports on the net)

They still emphasize it's the first gaming handheld since the Spectrum (handheld...?) made in UK (someone really should tell them about the Pandora...)

They mentioned they'll upload loads of videos to support the launch (and you can find 3 or 4 in their channel so far showing MegaDrive gameplay)...

And I haven't found a single review on the internet as well...

They had a massive press coverage upfront ("iPod of retro gaming"), but now as it only plays some MegaDrive games, nobody really seems to care...

I really wonder what their plans are. I'd love to stock and sell it, but as long as it's MegaDrive only for that high price, I doubt it's even worth asking them to become a distributor.

ED, there is nothing on the net about it because they only got their activation software working a few hours ago. Until then the only thing people could do with their GameGadget was put it on a table and stare at it.

I'm sure there will be some videos, reviews and more coverage in a few days... but I'm slightly sceptical about their games library too. MegaDrive is obvious because they already have the rights to a ton of MegaDrive games from their previous handhelds, but I'll be interested to see how many games from other systems they manage to secure and sell. I was really tempted to pre-order a few weeks ago, kinda glad I didn't now. Maybe I'll get one later if it doesn't turn out to be shit.

Back