Game Gadget

Fzero

Advanced Member
Just for infoes

that Game Gadget is available to pre-order now.

gamegadget.net

you also can get a £20 saving with code: gamegadget20

making it £79.99

Im hoping it will run megadrive ok on it

edit: just corrected above, its available to pre-order now, still not released until the 30th but you can get in line now

Last edited by a moderator:
what you reckon on these?

i suspect its not as good as the Caanoo with its nice analogue stick/nub - but do you this will be as good as a Dingoo or a Letcool device?

or its probably too early to say just yet? do the specs of this look up to scratch for running some emus at a good speed?

I had a run in with someone who talks to someone on their development team (READ: hearsay) Funny part is it was totally unintentional mind you, but we had a large discussion about this thing.

they are promoting it as a more open source, and spiritual successor to the dingoo. it is designed with dingux and the FOSS community in mind. Based off specs I'd say it will perform at least as well as the dingoo/letcool, it should be capable of n64/psx emulation, the dingoo was almost there by it's self with dingux. A bunch of the developers in that scene are going to move over to the gamegadget and they are assuming the community will follow. They're probably correct. The whole licensed rom thing... that's kinda pie in the sky, I mean if that works, more power to them, but I'm not paying twice for games I already bought.

The proposed "app market" for their software catalog does seem to be a little more user friendly than most other consoles like this. As long as it doesn't lock you down to this (agianst everything FOSS in my opinion) this should work.

I mean, I like the concept, I liked the dingoo... But to convince me personally to get one, I need more information on how the battery does, and how it actually performs, and what available consoles it will emulate at launch.

You can get a new Caanoo for the exact same price, so why would you get this?

Nice info Android.

vcoleiro, that was what i was thinking really, the Cannoo are same price [without the discount code] and looks like it has better controls.

I prefer the dimensions of the Gamegadget though, a lot more slimline and more pocket friendly.

I guess the app market is a selling point too, if it turns out to be like the advert says and it is an iphone for retro gamers - then i suspect it will have a lot of stuff to browse and d/l - which is also appealing.

Personally ive never had any FOSS hand held before, years back i was very tempted by the Dingoo, and on searching more about that i was lead to Pandora and decided to jump aboard this.

Since then i keep checking ebay and getting tempted to get a little something something to tide me over until i get my Pandora.

The Cannoo i keep looking at, its a bit on the chunky side for me to carry around on road but for lounging on the sofa with it looks nice.

I'll probably get one of these and just wait and see what the app market is saying and if its not my cup of tea i'll just sell it on ebay --- then maybe get a Cannoo or better still, received my Pandora

caanoo is a good choice in the price range, it's mature, has a solid software catalog, good emulators, good battery life, good controls. I have one, and it's a solid choice. I got mine with the justification to hold me over until I got my pandora (before I got that) I didn't regret that decision.

I also like the xperia play, you can get a brand new "bad esn" off ebay for a little more about $130-150 range that makes the phone hardware useless and can be just used as a gaming MID. I have one of these and probably gets the most use of any device I own due to the size, portability, and battery life.

as far as the gamegadget, I'm usually an early adopter for these types of things, but I'm going to hold off to see what happens with it first, I've got my eye on the wikipad anyway.

I agree the Caanoo is most likely the superior choice, for the better controls alone, not to mention its strong history.

I also was looking on ebay at broken Experia Play phones, just to use for pocket emu side of things.

Missed out on a couple of low selling auctions.

I also have my eye on the wikipad - $200 in America, if it comes out here for £200 i will sell my existing MID and just get that, does look very nice, i just suspect that the UK launch will see a price hike too, if it is launched at under £200 it will surely be a hot seller here

What is strange to me is why a group like this has not attempted to contact or make thier presence known wither here or on gp32x. You think if your market was for open source devices you would post about it to the largest destination for open source devices.

N64? I doubt it.

PSX up to a certain point, runs quite well on the Caanoo (though not perfect), but I doubt that device will run N64 properly.

N64? I doubt it. but I doubt that device will run N64 properly.

Heres one of the biggest reasons:

Do it support OpenGL ES 1, 2?

No (GameGadget does not have additional 3D acceleration hardware).

Im surprised they wouldnt go with some form of OpenGL hardware. In my opinion is almost is a expectation for any recent device.

Ouch... so it has about the same capabilities as the Caanoo, though not yet the software library AND is missing 3D acceleration which would be nice for Doom or Quake...

Price is not so much different, so I'm not sure it will sell that well.

Aren't there only 300 Caanoos remaining, though? That's probably not an issue right now, but in the longer term it might be, if the GameGadget continues production for a while...

Spec-wise, it looks like tweaked dingoo to me. Dual cores (but still a MIPS-II with simlar media acceleration instructions), twice the RAM and half the NAND. Ziz, time to make your software renderer threaded? ;)

Aren't there only 300 Caanoos remaining, though? That's probably not an issue right now, but in the longer term it might be, if the GameGadget continues production for a while...

GPH just asked me how much I am expecting to sell this year, so it seems they decided to continue production :)

Spec-wise, it looks like tweaked dingoo to me. Dual cores (but still a MIPS-II with simlar media acceleration instructions), twice the RAM and half the NAND. Ziz, time to make your software renderer threaded? ;)

Are they counting the VPU as the second core?

4750(4).jpg

...It seems like they do.

EDIT: Which means, that to the programmer, it's just a Dingoo with more RAM?

Back