G3d Port To Openpandora...

codonnell

Still Fresh
Hello...

My name is Casey O'Donnell, I am one of the primary developers of G3D, an OpenSource game tech/engine. One of our users recently brought the Pandora handheld to our attention and needless to say, we were pretty impressed by the devices capabilities. So impressed that I decided to try and pester you this way!

That user also mentioned that, "developers of 'notable' software projects already received prototype boards of the machine." I recognize that the site says no additional machines are available, but I am particularly interested in bringing G3D to this device. Is there any way for developers to get ahold of one of the devices? That would allow me to asses the kind of resources it would take to port our engine to Pandora.

Three of the main developers on the project (myself included) are faculty at different schools and have research assistants that we would love to sic some of our students on. This kind of device is also the kind of thing that would be great in a university setting as an alternative to making our students sign NDAs to use commercial consoles.

We are currently working on an iPhone port, which has started us down the path of OpenGL ES. This device would actually be a better platform for that transition we feel.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to try help make this happen.

Thanks and best.

Wow, how nice. It's really encouraging to see the academic community interested in our little toy!

I suggest that you send Chip a PM :)

Edit:
AAhh, mazza beat me to it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dig the vid on sourceforge, looks like a powerful little program. No good to me tho as I ain't got a clue about that sort of thing. Hope craig or someone can hook you up :)

puppydee said:
Dig the vid on sourceforge, looks like a powerful little program. No good to me tho as I ain't got a clue about that sort of thing. Hope craig or someone can hook you up :)
Jut watched that video too - Looks very impressive as an open engine - will it run well on the Pandora though?

Casey O'Donnell said:
Hello...

My name is Casey O'Donnell, I am one of the primary developers of G3D, an OpenSource game tech/engine. One of our users recently brought the Pandora handheld to our attention and needless to say, we were pretty impressed by the devices capabilities. So impressed that I decided to try and pester you this way!

That user also mentioned that, "developers of 'notable' software projects already received prototype boards of the machine." I recognize that the site says no additional machines are available, but I am particularly interested in bringing G3D to this device. Is there any way for developers to get ahold of one of the devices? That would allow me to asses the kind of resources it would take to port our engine to Pandora.

Three of the main developers on the project (myself included) are faculty at different schools and have research assistants that we would love to sic some of our students on. This kind of device is also the kind of thing that would be great in a university setting as an alternative to making our students sign NDAs to use commercial consoles.

We are currently working on an iPhone port, which has started us down the path of OpenGL ES. This device would actually be a better platform for that transition we feel.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to try help make this happen.

Thanks and best.

Hi,

Thank you for coming here and posting this, we would love to have a port of this on the Pandora.

We will have the first MP test boards at the start of next month (if all should go according to plan) these will then have to be populated but it should not take too long.

At that point we should be able to make more boards available to developers for projects such as this.

It seems every week we have interest from more and more big projects, it looks like the Pandora will turn out to be even more than we imagined when we made the rather radical design decisions. We are really happy that you want to develop for the machine. It's going to be a fun ride.

If you email or PM Chip (he may email/PM you) we can get you on the list.

Thanks,

Craig

"MP" Testboards??? :unsure:

Very nice Engine, looks very polished. I wonder what can be done with the Pandora Hardware and the right Drivers for the SGX Unit. :)

How good is this G3D with things like AI (very important for Single Player Games) and Level Interactivity (for Example, "Sauerbraten" Engine has nearly no Level Interactivity and nothing that could be calles AI )?
I really want to see a Open Source 3D Shooter Game with the AI skills of the Unreal Tournament Series. :)

Count this as a +1 vote from a developer who will use G3D the moment it is running, on both the iPhone and the Pandora. In fact if you have a beta-group and some way for me to apply, I'd be very happy to use both ports actively and participate in the beta program. Hand-coding OpenGL ES on the iPhone right now is driving me nuts - I'd love to have your engine available so I can focus on the good stuff!

I was hoping for a good 3D engine and this looks awesome! Now I just have to become better in programming...

I did a few test programs with G3D in the last couple of days and it's awesome. I REALLY want this ported to pandora. I wonder though, with all those floats, how hard will be to port properly? IIRC people have been having problems with NEON and pandora won't be that fast in floating point calculations without it.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on G3D. We're actually hoping that OpenPandora will be a great platform for us. It will allow us to port our OpenGL core to OpenGL ES. The next step for the iPhone will be to create the necessary Objective-C wrappers. So in some ways OpenPandora will be easier and a kind of stepping stone as we expand support to the iPhone.

We're all pretty interested in supporting more platforms, as like you I hate farting around with all the stuff that you typically have to re-develop for on each platform. I'll definitely PM Chip to see what I can find out. Thanks everyone!

torpor said:
Hand-coding OpenGL ES on the iPhone right now is driving me nuts - I'd love to have your engine available so I can focus on the good stuff!

Casey O'Donnell said:
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on G3D. We're actually hoping that OpenPandora will be a great platform for us. It will allow us to port our OpenGL core to OpenGL ES. The next step for the iPhone will be to create the necessary Objective-C wrappers. So in some ways OpenPandora will be easier and a kind of stepping stone as we expand support to the iPhone.

We're all pretty interested in supporting more platforms, as like you I hate farting around with all the stuff that you typically have to re-develop for on each platform. I'll definitely PM Chip to see what I can find out. Thanks everyone!

torpor said:
Hand-coding OpenGL ES on the iPhone right now is driving me nuts - I'd love to have your engine available so I can focus on the good stuff!
This'll be awesome, I was watching the video, and it reminds me a little of the quake mod which turned quake into a Hong Kong style experience. I never played, but it was aimed around finesse kills such as a double tap to the head while falling backwards down the stairs.

And I'm glad you're getting a warm welcome, we can definitely still use more development kits and games. Really either one would be appreciated.

Back