G3d Port To Openpandora...


codonnell

Still Fresh
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
3
Hello...

My name is Casey O'Donnell, I am one of the primary developers of G3D, an OpenSource game tech/engine. One of our users recently brought the Pandora handheld to our attention and needless to say, we were pretty impressed by the devices capabilities. So impressed that I decided to try and pester you this way!

That user also mentioned that, "developers of 'notable' software projects already received prototype boards of the machine." I recognize that the site says no additional machines are available, but I am particularly interested in bringing G3D to this device. Is there any way for developers to get ahold of one of the devices? That would allow me to asses the kind of resources it would take to port our engine to Pandora.

Three of the main developers on the project (myself included) are faculty at different schools and have research assistants that we would love to sic some of our students on. This kind of device is also the kind of thing that would be great in a university setting as an alternative to making our students sign NDAs to use commercial consoles.

We are currently working on an iPhone port, which has started us down the path of OpenGL ES. This device would actually be a better platform for that transition we feel.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to try help make this happen.

Thanks and best.
 

ashdjones

o_O
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
821
Wow, how nice. It's really encouraging to see the academic community interested in our little toy!
 

mali

-
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
6,543
Age
45
Location
EU
Website
Visit site
I suggest that you send Chip a PM :)

Edit:
AAhh, mazza beat me to it :lol:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

puppydee

Linux Virgin!
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
423
Age
45
Location
United Kingdom
Website
Visit site
Dig the vid on sourceforge, looks like a powerful little program. No good to me tho as I ain't got a clue about that sort of thing. Hope craig or someone can hook you up :)
 

mazza558

Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2008
Messages
444
puppydee said:
Dig the vid on sourceforge, looks like a powerful little program. No good to me tho as I ain't got a clue about that sort of thing. Hope craig or someone can hook you up :)
Jut watched that video too - Looks very impressive as an open engine - will it run well on the Pandora though?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Feb 3, 2003
Messages
11,010
Location
England
Website
twitter.com
Casey O'Donnell said:
Hello...

My name is Casey O'Donnell, I am one of the primary developers of G3D, an OpenSource game tech/engine. One of our users recently brought the Pandora handheld to our attention and needless to say, we were pretty impressed by the devices capabilities. So impressed that I decided to try and pester you this way!

That user also mentioned that, "developers of 'notable' software projects already received prototype boards of the machine." I recognize that the site says no additional machines are available, but I am particularly interested in bringing G3D to this device. Is there any way for developers to get ahold of one of the devices? That would allow me to asses the kind of resources it would take to port our engine to Pandora.

Three of the main developers on the project (myself included) are faculty at different schools and have research assistants that we would love to sic some of our students on. This kind of device is also the kind of thing that would be great in a university setting as an alternative to making our students sign NDAs to use commercial consoles.

We are currently working on an iPhone port, which has started us down the path of OpenGL ES. This device would actually be a better platform for that transition we feel.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to try help make this happen.

Thanks and best.



Hi,

Thank you for coming here and posting this, we would love to have a port of this on the Pandora.

We will have the first MP test boards at the start of next month (if all should go according to plan) these will then have to be populated but it should not take too long.

At that point we should be able to make more boards available to developers for projects such as this.

It seems every week we have interest from more and more big projects, it looks like the Pandora will turn out to be even more than we imagined when we made the rather radical design decisions. We are really happy that you want to develop for the machine. It's going to be a fun ride.

If you email or PM Chip (he may email/PM you) we can get you on the list.

Thanks,

Craig
 
Last edited by a moderator:

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
13,173
Location
germany
Website
Visit site
"MP" Testboards??? :unsure:

Very nice Engine, looks very polished. I wonder what can be done with the Pandora Hardware and the right Drivers for the SGX Unit. :)

How good is this G3D with things like AI (very important for Single Player Games) and Level Interactivity (for Example, "Sauerbraten" Engine has nearly no Level Interactivity and nothing that could be calles AI )?
I really want to see a Open Source 3D Shooter Game with the AI skills of the Unreal Tournament Series. :)
 

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Joined
Oct 21, 2005
Messages
2,475
Location
vienna, austria
Website
w1xer.at
Count this as a +1 vote from a developer who will use G3D the moment it is running, on both the iPhone and the Pandora. In fact if you have a beta-group and some way for me to apply, I'd be very happy to use both ports actively and participate in the beta program. Hand-coding OpenGL ES on the iPhone right now is driving me nuts - I'd love to have your engine available so I can focus on the good stuff!
 

SiegfriedCroes

Game Developer | Pixel Artist
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
421
Location
Belgium
I was hoping for a good 3D engine and this looks awesome! Now I just have to become better in programming...
 

bzar

A Commando
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
4,493
Location
Finland
Website
Visit site
I did a few test programs with G3D in the last couple of days and it's awesome. I REALLY want this ported to pandora. I wonder though, with all those floats, how hard will be to port properly? IIRC people have been having problems with NEON and pandora won't be that fast in floating point calculations without it.
 

codonnell

Still Fresh
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
3
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on G3D. We're actually hoping that OpenPandora will be a great platform for us. It will allow us to port our OpenGL core to OpenGL ES. The next step for the iPhone will be to create the necessary Objective-C wrappers. So in some ways OpenPandora will be easier and a kind of stepping stone as we expand support to the iPhone.

We're all pretty interested in supporting more platforms, as like you I hate farting around with all the stuff that you typically have to re-develop for on each platform. I'll definitely PM Chip to see what I can find out. Thanks everyone!

torpor said:
Hand-coding OpenGL ES on the iPhone right now is driving me nuts - I'd love to have your engine available so I can focus on the good stuff!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

hedwards

Active Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
872
Casey O'Donnell said:
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on G3D. We're actually hoping that OpenPandora will be a great platform for us. It will allow us to port our OpenGL core to OpenGL ES. The next step for the iPhone will be to create the necessary Objective-C wrappers. So in some ways OpenPandora will be easier and a kind of stepping stone as we expand support to the iPhone.

We're all pretty interested in supporting more platforms, as like you I hate farting around with all the stuff that you typically have to re-develop for on each platform. I'll definitely PM Chip to see what I can find out. Thanks everyone!

torpor said:
Hand-coding OpenGL ES on the iPhone right now is driving me nuts - I'd love to have your engine available so I can focus on the good stuff!
This'll be awesome, I was watching the video, and it reminds me a little of the quake mod which turned quake into a Hong Kong style experience. I never played, but it was aimed around finesse kills such as a double tap to the head while falling backwards down the stairs.

And I'm glad you're getting a warm welcome, we can definitely still use more development kits and games. Really either one would be appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top