Fruit Machine Sim

ruckage

Certified Guru
Hello, and first off I know this is bad of me but I'm about to announce another game I'm working on when I have loads I haven't finished yet. I think this will fill a gap in the archive as I know a few people have asked for Fruit machine games.

So here are the first images of my Cluedo inspired slot machine. Please note this is my own design and isn't a sim of any of the real Cluedo machines.

cluedofruitmachineku6.jpg

50p per credit payable directly to my bank account. All winnings will be of the virtual kind though :p

looks so pretty. I hope you have an American money option. A few of us gp2x people are in the states.

First of all, looks great - as ever. I'm sure the missus will get a lot of use out of this one, borderline addict that she is. :)

A question though: are three-reel slot machines (aka 'fruit machines' in the UK or 'pokies' in Oz) the most common in the UK? Most times when someone makes such a sim they're three-reelers, but for the last ten years at least I've never come across such a machine that has less than five reels and about 20 different win lines (not to mention the likes of free spins, scatter wins and other 'modern advances'). Granted, none of these have things like nudging or the sort of 50/50 win/lose bonus options like the 'fruit machines' seem to have, so maybe it's either UK-specific or I'm just confusing two similar-but-different things.

Here's an example picture of a typical modern 'pokie' (for comparison):
4950_1.png

Either way, your post is full of win. :)

berighteous said:
looks so pretty. I hope you have an American money option. A few of us gp2x people are in the states.
Glad you like the look of it. There won't be an American money option as I don't think it's necessary and where would it end, I would have to do a version for every currency. This is Made in the UK and proud of it :). (unless of course you mean the 50p a go money transfer in which case I'm sure I can give you a good exchange rate :p )

Line O'Sevens said:
First of all, looks great - as ever. I'm sure the missus will get a lot of use out of this one, borderline addict that she is. :)

A question though: are three-reel slot machines (aka 'fruit machines' in the UK or 'pokies' in Oz) the most common in the UK? Most times when someone makes such a sim they're three-reelers, but for the last ten years at least I've never come across such a machine that has less than five reels and about 20 different win lines (not to mention the likes of free spins, scatter wins and other 'modern advances'). Granted, none of these have things like nudging or the sort of 50/50 win/lose bonus options like the 'fruit machines' seem to have, so maybe it's either UK-specific or I'm just confusing two similar-but-different things.

Here's an example picture of a typical modern 'pokie' (for comparison):
Either way, your post is full of win. :)

Thanks. I have a feeling that it is something that is peculiar to the UK. We do have slots with more reels but the majority are 3 reels like this. Video slots like the one in your picture don't seem to have taken off at all here yet. I have tried a 'pokie' online but didn't like it to be honest and didn't really know what was going on :blink: , perhaps once you know how they work they're more fun.

I found a wiki page that explains the different types and what countries they're popular in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slot_machine

Last edited by a moderator:
i love the look of this...cant wait till its finished...will this be the first of a lot of fruit machine games ... i need more ...lol..would love to see the old...TUPPENY NUDGER ...machine emulated..i have it on the pc and its the most simplest and addict machine out there ....

You're one hell of an artist, Ruckage. I really like how this looks, very colourful and attractive. It would be really cool to have this as an unlockable in the Cluedo game, or simply a bonus mini-game part of it.

On a side note, I took a look at the Wikipedia article on slot machines linked a few posts back, and I'm a bit depressed. Why would anyone play these things in real life? You have a better chance to win something by hitting the Blackjack tables... Computer random number generators, my ass. They're all a sham, 'legally checked' or not...

stormyandcold said:
Looks great but seems like it's for DS rather than GP2X? (joke) :D
Thanks - certainly would benefit from dual screen though I'm afraid you'll have to settle for a screen flip :).

Alex. said:
You're one hell of an artist, Ruckage. I really like how this looks, very colourful and attractive. It would be really cool to have this as an unlockable in the Cluedo game, or simply a bonus mini-game part of it.

On a side note, I took a look at the Wikipedia article on slot machines linked a few posts back, and I'm a bit depressed. Why would anyone play these things in real life? You have a better chance to win something by hitting the Blackjack tables... Computer random number generators, my ass. They're all a sham, 'legally checked' or not...
Thanks Alex, this will be a stand alone game, (part of a murder mystery trilogy I have planned) I intended it to just be an easy project to relax with but as usual I've added bits here an there and its no longer as simple as it started :rolleyes: . I totally agree with you about playing in real life, I never do as they are a big scam, particularly in the UK where they can be completely rigged. This one however is fair so you have a chance of winning (even if it isn't real money :) )

Ruckage your the man
I was the one asking for a fruit machine game this looks so good
I cant wait

I've made some changes to the feature screen. The changes are mainly because of game play but I've also made some cosmetic improvements as well.

The 'Room' lights are now completely different and much smaller.
Added 'WIN/LOSE' lights.
Changed the background and it now fits in better with the main screen.
Added buttons.

I'm using the buttons on both screens to control all elements of play. This should be intuitive I think and mean that the game only requires the joystick and a single button to control the game. Buttons are selected by the use of a hand sprite which you switch between buttons with a single push of left or right on the joystick.

I've already begun coding and I have the main screen working, the reels spin and the hold and nudge feature works.

I'm going to use an Account system for the game, when you first start you open an account which is credited with £20. Any winnings etc are saved when you exit so you can continue play at a later date, unless of course you become bankrupt then you'll have to start again.

cluedoslotgamefeaturecj7.jpg

ruckage said:
I've made some changes to the feature screen. The changes are mainly because of game play but I've also made some cosmetic improvements as well.

The 'Room' lights are now completely different and much smaller.
Added 'WIN/LOSE' lights.
Changed the background and it now fits in better with the main screen.
Added buttons.

I'm using the buttons on both screens to control all elements of play. This should be intuitive I think and mean that the game only requires the joystick and a single button to control the game. Buttons are selected by the use of a hand sprite which you switch between buttons with a single push of left or right on the joystick.

I've already begun coding and I have the main screen working, the reels spin and the hold and nudge feature works.

I'm going to use an Account system for the game, when you first start you open an account which is credited with £20. Any winnings etc are saved when you exit so you can continue play at a later date, unless of course you become bankrupt then you'll have to start again.

cluedoslotgamefeaturecj7.jpg
I seriously cant wait, this is going to fill the gap that my gp2x needs
Im available to beta test if you need it ruckage

Thanks everyone. It will be a little while before it's finished though I don't think it will be too long. I've made a few more changes and additions but I'm going to keep them secret for a little while :p

Hers are the latest shots of the game. Ive added a few things, particularly you'll notice the feature ladder on the right of the reel screen. This is filled by getting symbols with a number in the bottom right hand corner. (just like on real machines.)

Graphically I've replaced the cluedo symbol with a 'Sleuth Slots' symbol, means the graphics are all my own now. In the feature screen you'll see the dice reel has now been replaced with a small DMD which will give me many more options.

sleuthslots1qi5.jpg

Back