Fruit Machine Simulator

mac_d4di

Still Fresh
hello all is there a fruit machine game available on the gp2x i had one on my gp32.
perhaps some one could port a simulator. i have one on my pc its a jpm emulator and you can load up actual machines on it.
would be great to play on the go.
cheer

would be great to have jpm working on the gp2x..i must have about 50 roms/layouts working on my laptop for long journeys....

mac_d4di said:
hello all is there a fruit machine game available on the gp2x
cheer
Have you tried Blingo?

Last edited by a moderator:
imhotep said:
mac_d4di said:
hello all is there a fruit machine game available on the gp2x
cheer
Have you tried Blingo?

blingo is excellent wasted more time than i care to admit playing that but would love a fruit machine with features and stuff.

fatdad said:
the fruit machine games on the zx spectrum emulator are really good
do you know what the game is called as i have never used the spectrum before.
thanks

fatdad said:
fruit machine , fruit machine simulator , fruit machine simulator 2 , arcade fruit machine...all have skill features
thanks will have to have a look for these

mac_d4di said:
hello all is there a fruit machine game available on the gp2x i had one on my gp32.
perhaps some one could port a simulator. i have one on my pc its a jpm emulator and you can load up actual machines on it.
cheer
Well I actually wrote the JPM emulator for PC -- glad you like it ;)

Leaving aside speed concerns on the GP2X [I've already ported the core to GP2X and it's certainly feasible - I've gotten Indiana Jones running at probably 2x - 5x full speed (without graphics or sound of course, only simple "classic-style" square lamps)], any thoughts on how this could be implemented easily on such a "poor" resolution? (320x240 ain't exactly much!!). That's a serious question btw - am open to ideas as to how this could be presented on a limited screen.

Tony

DialTone said:
mac_d4di said:
cheer
Well I actually wrote the JPM emulator for PC -- glad you like it ;)

Leaving aside speed concerns on the GP2X [I've already ported the core to GP2X and it's certainly feasible - I've gotten Indiana Jones running at probably 2x - 5x full speed (without graphics or sound of course, only simple "classic-style" square lamps)], any thoughts on how this could be implemented easily on such a "poor" resolution? (320x240 ain't exactly much!!). That's a serious question btw - am open to ideas as to how this could be presented on a limited screen.

Tony
could you scroll up and down the screen when you need to see the top half ?

I just queried 'fruit machine' on Wikipedia, you should too :huh:

That's very disturbing :S lol

[Back on topic hehe]
I had had a couple of ideas already btw...

1. Scrolling the screen, although it could quite easily be achieved using (say) the shoulder buttons which seemingly makes for convenient usage might perhaps detract too much from the "playing experience"?

I can't think of any specifics off-hand, but say a gamble needed to be won to enter an exchange point (to the feature) and further gambles attained "better" exchange points, it would be tedious to keep scrolling up and down in order to view the exchange point.

Also, some games are well-spread across the machine glass, so that might also make it tedious to use? Just trying to play devils' advocate here...

2. Split the game into 2 halves (top screen and lower screen) with an option to switch freely between. This of course is simply a less elegant version of (1)

3. Presenting the game full-screen with the artwork rotated thru' 90 degrees (So an effective resolution of 240x320 on the LCD - more on a TV if speed permits this?) - Would the artwork be readable this small ?!?

Implementing the buttons (i.e. "Player Input") would also require some thought - Any solution which involves "moving the screen" runs the risk of making it too difficult to easily access the buttons (and I'm not convinced that the '2x buttons would "conveniently" map to a fruit machine sufficiently well enough to make it intuitive enough to work on '2x buttons alone). So this means...

1. Leaving the buttons in their correct locations and make them navigable - this would mean moving to the appropriate part of the displayed visuals in order to press the correct button - possibly not a great solution.

2. Having a (possibly togglable/hidable) button panel always visible (containing navigable buttons), but superimposed over the artwork at (say) the bottom of the screen, maybe even translucent so the underlying artwork can be seen.

3. Mapping the '2x buttons to machine buttons alone (and possible have a pop-up help screen per-game which indicates the current key bindings - reconfigurable bindings, naturally)

Just my ramblings heh

could someone explain to me why a fruitmachine emulator would be a lot of fun to mess around with? I have never actually bothered to use one and I have always thought it's just something you randomly waste money with...

is there actual gameplay on these surpassing a wheel of fortune style principle? I really don't know.

well fruit machines are all fixed system, e.g wont pay out money that it doesnt have in machine, and always makes more money then gives out, which of course rids of the "luck" factor
but where theirs a system, theres ppl their to break em, so practice on emulator, for similar copy to the machines, same way as they are programmed etc. I just hate ppl that say, yeh im a pro on these machines, always hit the jackpot, then u watch em lose everytime.
some ppl enjoy playing em, but i dont, cos im just too unlucky :(

But it's not really you, it's more like randomness acted through you.

Alex. said:
But it's not really you, it's more like randomness acted through you.
Hehe, well that depends on the machine tbh! It's true that some machines (especially US-based) are purely random, but UK machines (that's to say "pub style" machines) historically work a little differently.

The player does have *some* level of interactivity with the machine and can play *some* part in influencing the outcome (although not outside strictly regulated boundaries that is) based on their "plan of attack". Ultimately though, whether "random" or otherwise, it's true to say that the outcome from playing is (unfortunately) inevitable.

Being software-controlled, it's not uncommon to learn of bugs and other programming "irregularities" which can be exploited to maximize (or even guarantee) chance of success [such bugs are known as "emptiers"]. For "nostalgic" reasons, it can be interesting and even amusing to be able to experiment with these (through the use of an emulator), although there are some who think that this gives a credible "competitive edge" against the machines - the truth is that such bugs are usually patched quickly (for obvious reasons!) and the machines are regularly loaded with new software (on EPROM). By the time such information goes public, it's generally out-of-date and "worthless". For those who "missed out" first time around, an emulator provides the opportunity to test such things by deliberately loading these old ROM versions with known flaws.

Quite how blatantly obvious it is to see (from a player's perspective) how the machine's software is designed (from a stats/algorithmic point of view) varies also from machine to machine; but while these days it might be cut-and-dry, older machines allowed a skillful player higher reward as well as a more "well balanced" (and therefore more entertaining) form of gamble.

Sure, this isn't something that's likely to appeal to a non-gambler, but to those who like a flutter it can be of interest.

Tony

Back