Freespace

You could always hook up a real joystick if the nubs aren't doing it for you. I wonder how well a wiimote would work as a joystick...

I haven't thought about it before, but the controls scheme for similiar games on the DS is one hand on the touchscreen and one hand on the d-pad. A variation of that may work here.

Benjiro said:
Is running freespace not going to be a problem control wise?
I'd absolutely love Freespace 2 on the Pandora, but that's one of the biggest problems IMHO. I remember when I played it seemed like I needed three hands at times. So the small keyboard and limit of two keys pressed at a time might be an issue. Unfortunately, right clicking to fire missiles might need some work so you can still do that with your "mouse" hand, leaving your other hand free to manage throttle, countermeasures, energy, shields, communication, targeting, weapon selection, afterburners, and everything else that makes Freespace 2 require tactics rather than just reflexes/accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, moving on.

Is anyone interested in forming a team to do a Freespace port? Maybe we should contact the Open Freespace devs..

Yes, maybe you should. Trying to find out how much work would be involved to get their code run on ARM should be a good start, I guess.

OrR said:
Yes, maybe you should. Trying to find out how much work would be involved to get their code run on ARM should be a good start, I guess.
You will need the GCC toolchain, SDL 1.2, OpenAL-Soft, and OpenGL ES 1.1, possibly 2.0.

The bulk of the work is likely to be making it play nice with ES from the OpenGL rendering backends, as the A8 core brings us in hardware the support you'd have to figure out (like floating point...) how to re-do as fixed point math normally on an ARM CPU- as long as it all fits within about 64Mb of RAM, as the rest you'll need for OS and GPU support to play it. :D

[edit]
(At this point, if we're going to continue this discussion in this vein, we probably ought to move the discussion, if not the whole thread, over to the Developer area... ;))

The Cortex A8 has a hardware, easy to use, non-pipelined FPU called VFPlite.

sindbad said:
It can be pipelined for (some) operations if you switch on various flags. Although it doesn't have forwarding in these cases.

andys said:
sindbad said:
It can be pipelined for (some) operations if you switch on various flags. Although it doesn't have forwarding in these cases.

and using 32-bit float instead of 64-bit float (supposedly that FS2 uses 64-bit floats) is also another possibility as NEON can handle 32-bit float pipelined instructions.

Gurumeditation said:
If you want to play Conflict Freespace on the pandora, so look for the Amiga Version of Freespace ^^

That Amiga version needs a CPU (68060) that's about 4 generations on from what the Pandora version of UAE is capable of emulating (68000 or 68020), so it's bound to be easier to port the linux version!

Ive been reading about this game. It sounds like blast to play. Space shooters are rare these days on consoles.

tarwin said:
<div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I like this more:

<a href="http://www.infinity-universe.com/" target="_blank">http://www.infinity-universe.com/</a>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<

Why are they trying to recreate Eve Online? And it isn't even for Linux, so chances of a Pandora Port are rather slim...

1. I wasnt talking about a pandora port...
2. THIS ISNT AN EVE CLONE!!!! This is no click on an ship and spam skills. This is really combat, this is real simulation. The univserse is a lot bigger (size comparable to our own universe) and generates planets randomly.

Port already asked long ago, even talked about it on the forum of the freespace 2 Open source project...

I clicked on this thread to mention "Beyond the Red Line". Then I noticed that this guy already mentioned it :

VRAndy said:
If someone gets FS2 working, ...how much harder would it be to get <a href="http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/about.html" target="_blank"> Beyond the Red Line</a> to work?

That would be amazing.

VRAndy said:
I clicked on this thread to mention "Beyond the Red Line". Then I noticed that this guy already mentioned it :

VRAndy said:
If someone gets FS2 working, ...how much harder would it be to get <a href="http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/about.html" target="_blank"> Beyond the Red Line</a> to work?

That would be amazing.

It would be impossible... far too many polygons and shaders for the sgx.

VRAndy said:

VRAndy said:

That would be amazing.

Beyond the Red Line is basically dead in the water. I hope it can continue, but most of the development team started a new project called Diaspora. It is essentially the same game, both being Battlestar Galactica, but if BtRL won't work on the Pandora, Diaspora won't either.
Official Site
ModDb page

Back