Is Freespace 2 Possible?

AVahne

Handheld-obsessed
As the title says, if someone wanted to put in all the many hours to do the port-work, would the Pyra be able to run Freespace 2? It's understandable if the MediaVPS mod would be too demanding for the Pyra, but would the base game be doable? Seeing ports of classics like StarCraft and Half-Life making it to the Pandora, so I've been wondering if a larger scale game from the same era could work on Pyra. Since it's one of my top favorite games of all time, it'd be amazing to have it on the go, or playable in bed. 

Thanks, didn't even know it was on Pandora already. If someone could port that to Pyra, that'd be great. Even better if they could get MediaVPS working in some form.

Ptitseb who ported the Pandora version will most likely get a Pyra Prototype as he is a porting machine, chances are he'd get it to work. Can't say about MediaVPS though.

He did get the Babylon Project working which is based on Freespace engine too.

The FreeSpace & FreeSpace 2 PND are based on the original FS/FS2 source code, so it probably doesn't handle MediaVPS, but, as TrashyMG mentionned, I ported The Babylon Project which is based on Open_FS2, so it can be possible in the future (I have the latest Open_FS2 compiled and running, but didn't do anything with it on the Pandora yet).

And to awnser your initial question, It should fairly straight forward to have those ports on the Pyra yes.

Back