For Anyone Who Cares...

No news on Super mario kart (just crashes here after the Nintendo logo), but other games are starting to look much nicer in the test build I have here :)

How do you think this emu will perform after sound and transparencies are added? I heard that the sound chip is actually more powerful than the CPU itself. If that is true it is like only half or less of the SNES is now emulated. Will the speed be cut in half with sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
phlanx works good, freezes about halfway thru 1st stage.

Makes me wanna donate. Esp. to something that seems as though a enormous stride is made twoard quality - not just "banging it out".

Keep it up Squidge, awesome job.

No news on Super mario kart (just crashes here after the Nintendo logo), but other games are starting to look much nicer in the test build I have here :)

How do you think this emu will perform after sound and transparencies are added? I heard that the sound chip is actually more powerful than the CPU itself. If that is true it is like only half or less of the SNES is now emulated. Will the speed be cut in half with sound?

I bet Squidge has second core ideas for the sound... at least I hope he does :p

**donation sent** damn converting dollar to pounds :D

How do you think this emu will perform after sound and transparencies are added? I

It'll probably run like a snail through treacle :)

Still, we have upto 266Mhz, so it might not be that bad.

heard that the sound chip is actually more powerful than the CPU itself. If that is true it is like only half or less of the SNES is now emulated. Will the speed be cut in half with sound?

Well, the main 65C816 CPU runs at upto 3.58Mhz, depending on what type of ROM it accesses, and the SPC700 runs at 2.48Mhz, but has a DSP to play with. So the SPC700 could be faster depending on what it's been told to do.

The current test version has sound controller support, but doesn't actually mix any sounds yet (so add a couple of fps for that). In Super Mario World, having the sound processor enabled eats up about 20fps, so you get 40fps instead of 60fps. This is all at 200Mhz however and with a C version of the sound processor, so plenty of speedups are possible in the sound area. The more accurate graphics routines also take up some more fps.

**donation sent** damn converting dollar to pounds

Thanks, and BTW, my Paypal account accepts dollars as I have GBP, USD and EUR balances (they seem to be the most popular), so no need to convert it yourself :)

yay squidge have my babies
cute.

If I were a female id be saying the same as well!

EDIT: Finally NCIX.com answered my return email.. took them long enough, they say they will reply in 1-2 days and its been a week. BAD customer service Id say!

Now I can get rid of this piece 1gb sandisk, and get a corsair..

squidesnes here I come.

why can't you just return the card instead of constantly reminding us about it?

He has to find something to annoy us with now he's changed his sig.

Oh, and great work, Squidge! Looks like it's coming along well.

You said "full" sound support...... how is the speed then?

Man I can't wait till my new gp2x comes in the next 2 weeks. This is going to be the first thing I put on it.

well if hes waiting till tommorow to release it i'd imagine hes tweaking it to get the speed back up after adding sound? maybe.

i wish i was a tester, i have so much free time i'd produce charts and graphs and reports on it. haha.

Nope, I'm adding extra stuff to it :)

There's currently only one guaranteed way of becoming a tester and getting access to the pre-release versions, and that way has been posted on the main news page and the homepage of SquidgeSNES (and is still on the homepage of SquidgeSNES) :)

Back