Flimsy Plastic? Or Durable Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the few things I don't like about the Pandora is the glossy finish - I would have preferred a matte finish instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
'arrrgh' said:
One of the few things I don't like about the Pandora is the glossy finish - I would have preferred a matte finish instead.
You could always gently use a bit of VERY fine sandpaper. ;)

'Vorporeal' said:
'arrrgh' said:
You could always gently use a bit of VERY fine sandpaper. ;)

I'm no good at doing things gently :(
I think I'll leave it as is, I don't want it that badly, and I'm not risking my Pandora for anything :p

That would definitely change the color, but I'm not sure how easily that method could change from glossy to matte...

We haven't even seen the finish yet! If the latest render is anything to go by, it doesn't seem that glossy. Certainly not piano black (smudge magnet) glossy.

people seem to be judging robustness on transparency but i get the feeling people arent quite registering that you can get completely clear plastic that is perfectly strong. just because something isnt initially looking like you expect it to doesnt mean its not ok. even if the team were to make white ones, it would be very easy to make it a non see-through white. people just need to calm down a little!

Do you really think that the developers would release a "flimsy" thing? They have worked too hard to release a Flimsy product and have someone cuss them out about it.

Everyone is calm, it was just an observation. and one that was made by more than one person.

OP have explained the reasons why.

I have every confidence that the final product will be awesome.

I think I would prefer a glossy finish. My gp2x looks like crap after I've worn down the matte finish around all the controls <_<
Anyone else know what I mean? Your thumbs work like polishers!

Yeah but glossy stuff is horrible for fingerprints.

I don't mind the worn-down matte look because that just shows how much use I'm getting out of it :D

'lulzfish' said:
Yeah but glossy stuff is horrible for fingerprints.

I don't mind the worn-down matte look because that just shows how much use I'm getting out of it :D
The first batch of units are to have a "fingerprint" pattern all over the case anyway, made from the fingerprints of the developers and their other halves as a higher-tech version of the "Mac Developers Signatures" inside early Macintoshes, so your fingerprints are unlikely to show up.

might I just mention, play around with a "glossy piano black" device enough and it starts to go matt, so given enough time those people who dont want glossy will get their wish, those of us who do will have to break out the autoglym to keep it glossy :p

I have another solution - plastic surgery. Remove the fingerprints from the tips of your fingers. This could also be an advantage if you decide on a life of crime! (but only substantially so if you can get other people to wipe their fingertips too).

'Monk' said:
I have another solution - plastic surgery. Remove the fingerprints from the tips of your fingers. This could also be an advantage if you decide on a life of crime! (but only substantially so if you can get other people to wipe their fingertips too).
OT WOOT!

Apart from venturing into a life of crime, removing the fingerprints from your fingertips will make your fingers less capable of holding on the things - such as buglar tools - as fingerprints cause your fingers to have more friction on a variety of surfaces. Monkeys have them too as well as a lot of other animals that have skin exposed on their extremeties.

you don't want to be dropping your brand new Pandora because of lack of friction do you?

;-)

'pelrun' said:
Might it not be easier just to wear gloves? :)
Your heart isn't really into the whole "supervillain" thing, is it? Gloves!

'Mark1970' said:
OT WOOT!

Apart from venturing into a life of crime, removing the fingerprints from your fingertips will make your fingers less capable of holding on the things - such as buglar tools - as fingerprints cause your fingers to have more friction on a variety of surfaces. Monkeys have them too as well as a lot of other animals that have skin exposed on their extremeties.

you don't want to be dropping your brand new Pandora because of lack of friction do you?

;-)
Yikes! Major pitfall in the plan. Hmmm... maybe gloves isn't THAT silly an idea after all, but I've got a horrid feeling that I'd get some pretty strange looks walking about town playing game son my :pandora1: whilst wearing rubber surgical gloves... would driving gloves be responsive enough for game playing, do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back