Flimsy Plastic? Or Durable Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

zohnnyg

i saw evil dragons assembly video today. the pandora body (not the motherboard) looked like it was made of cheap plastic. i was just wondering if its because he was just using a prototype. my nintendo ds lite seems to be made of heavier duty plastic. does anyone know if thats the same plastic casing as the final pandora thats being shown by evil dragon? or is it going to be more heavy duty? im not knockin the pandora at all im just curious. i already paid for my pandora so now im just waiting for them to be shipped.

Yea I notice in some bits of the shell it seems like you can see through it, but the case in the video is not made with injection molded plastic, so yeah the final version should be stronger.

'atomicthumbs' said:
The final version will be made out of chocolate. You needn't be concerned.
cool i love white chocolate! i was just sayin cause it just looked to me like a lighter weight plastic in the video. kinda like a japanese toy you can buy at the flea market (which are way awesome). looking at my nds lite the plastic seems stronger and thicker. i was just wondering if evil dragons prototype is the same quality as the final product. i hope this doesnt sound like im bad mouthing the pandora cause im not. lol im just not too articulate right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It only looked flimsy as it lacked the other components namely keymatt and dpad and buttons for other side of keypad

Remember ED was using an older version of motherboard - the new one as he said fits better, when Mweston posts his video then complain as it will have all the correct parts installed into the Pandora

Right now you saw ED attempt to show you how the unit will looked - great video - just a pity about keymat

You'll see how stong it all is when everything is inside it - keymatt, buttons, d pad, screws, batterys and case clips all together

'EvilDragon' said:
I guess I need to add some things:

1. THERE ARE SCREWS. I just didn't put them in. If you go look into the video (about 00:45 - 01:00), I do show you the battery compartment. And there you can see five holes for the screws.

2. With the final board, the case WON'T have any space between the upper and lower part. The MK2 case does have a component sitting on one area where there's a peg in the case - and that's why I can't close it completely. That component has been moved on the MK3 board.

3. I didn't break the cable while putting it in - I broke it while trying to put it out for the first time :) And don't worry: Once it's inserted correctly, it won't break ;)

'Gruso' said:
'EvilDragon' said:
I guess I need to add some things:

1. THERE ARE SCREWS. I just didn't put them in. If you go look into the video (about 00:45 - 01:00), I do show you the battery compartment. And there you can see five holes for the screws.

2. With the final board, the case WON'T have any space between the upper and lower part. The MK2 case does have a component sitting on one area where there's a peg in the case - and that's why I can't close it completely. That component has been moved on the MK3 board.

3. I didn't break the cable while putting it in - I broke it while trying to put it out for the first time :) And don't worry: Once it's inserted correctly, it won't break ;)
good. becouse the plastic also looked cheap to me. and i dont wanna have a powerful gadget breaking if i let if fall from 1 feet high.

CNC molding (the process used for the prototypes) involves cutting the shape out of a block of plastic. Injection molding (the process to be used for the final cases) involves taking a mold of the piece and injecting liquid plastic in there and injecting it to such a high pressure that all of the air bubbles are squeezed out and there are no structural deformities. I think that'll lead to a MUCH stronger and more durable case.

IMO, nothing to worry about. :D

you guys think it looks cheap? its hardly gonna be like plug socket plastic.... though if you like i can grab some rhinestones and make it look nice and spangly for you :p

'Vorporeal' said:
CNC molding (the process used for the prototypes) involves cutting the shape out of a block of plastic. Injection molding (the process to be used for the final cases) involves taking a mold of the piece and injecting liquid plastic in there and injecting it to such a high pressure that all of the air bubbles are squeezed out and there are no structural deformities. I think that'll lead to a MUCH stronger and more durable case.

Just what was on my mind :) Whatever he said.

BTW, that CNC case ain't cheap! It costs $900 a pop!

'GoodLawd' said:
'Vorporeal' said:

Just what was on my mind :) Whatever he said.

BTW, that CNC case ain't cheap! It costs $900 a pop!

Wat

So it's a very good thing they caught that error with the model files before they started making them.

'arrrgh' said:
So it's a very good thing they caught that error with the model files before they started making them.
as I understand, the error with the model files was an actual corruption of the data. They couldn't have started making them without correcting the error.

This is my only and latest worry, the latest CNC cases do look very thin, and cheap in my opinion.

I do hope the final pandora's don't look flimsy and cheap.

it may look "filmsy" to you cause its a bit transparent, which it is so you can easily see any stress points which will appear as a change in color, afaik.

'craigix' said:
Actually the CNC is very thick and the final unit will probably be made thinner.
As long it will be durable enough not to break after a hour of Q3 Gaming... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back